ultrasound at week 18-20?

naughtoj

Cathlete
All over the internet I see pregnant women talking about their ultrasounds at week 9,10,11, etc but my doc only does one at 18-20 weeks. What gives?

So basically, all I get to hear is the heartbeat at week 12 (hopefully) and nothing again until week 20. Is that how most doctor's do it? I mean, I know there is not much to tell, lol, but it would be nice to have something to look forward to...or atleast make the pregnancy seem 'real'.

And, how are these women getting all these ultrasounds? Is it elective or something? And do you only have one throughout your PG assuming your are low risk?

I would just love to see, hear....SOMETHING! x(

I had an ultrasound with my first at 6 weeks 5 days. With my second, I had an u/s at 8 weeks just because I didn't realize until later that I was pregnant. My doc always does them between 6-10 weeks mainly for dating and to check for missed m/c, and, of course, to see the heartbeat--which is pretty important. I can honestly say I have never heard of waiting until 18-20 weeks. That seems awfully late to me, but every doc is different. BTW, depending on your size you may be able to hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks. I'm pretty small so they were able to hear it loud and clear then.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I think it depends on your doctor and your insurance. With my first the insurance I had didn't think routine ultrasounds were medically necessary. So, unless something was wrong, they didn't cover ultrasounds. I managed to get one in around 24wks because I was measuring large, but even then I had to fight the insurance to pay for it. x(

With this one I did have a NT scan to check for down's syndrome at 12 wks, but I am 37 yr. old. I think most insurances cover the 18 wk ultrasound to check for abnormalities, and others if they are medically necessary. There is some debate about whether all these "elective" ultrasounds are actually dangerous to the baby, so maybe it's better to not have more than is necessary. JMHO!

hi there, i also think it has to do with insurance. my HMO only scheduled me for 3 u/s: one at 4 wks to confirm pregnancy, one at 12 wks to check heartbeat, and my last one at 18 wks to check weight, length, and to determine sex (and other things which i'm forgetting right now!) i don't think i'm schedule for anymore.

there are clinics you can go to and get u/s on your own (fetal foto is one) but many doctors don't think they are safe because they use heat instead of sound waves.

Not pregnant, but an L&D nurse w/ 20 yrs. experience giving you my perspective, Janice. Many early ultrasounds are done if there's a problem: can't detect the heartbeat w/ a doppler,aabnormal AFP screening, bleeding etc. 18-20wk. sono is the gold standard for dating: to confirm your 'due date'. After 20 wks., it's less reliable in determinging a due date. If your pregnancy is perking along smoothly w/ only the normal aches, pains, nausea etc. you don't NEED anymore.
We really don't know how safe multiple exposure to u/s is for babies. I often wonder if the explosion of ADD, autism etc. has anything to do w/ it. (That said, I had 4 sono's w/ one pregnancy and that 'baby' is off to an Ivy League school next month!).
bottom line: ultrasound is useful tool if it's done for a good reason. It's not a hard and fast guarantee that everything is ok. good luck w/ your pregnancy and enjoy it!
Valerie :)

>All over the internet I see pregnant women talking about
>their ultrasounds at week 9,10,11, etc but my doc only does
>one at 18-20 weeks. What gives?
>
>So basically, all I get to hear is the heartbeat at week 12
>(hopefully) and nothing again until week 20. Is that how most
>doctor's do it? I mean, I know there is not much to tell, lol,
>but it would be nice to have something to look forward to...or
>atleast make the pregnancy seem 'real'.
>
>And, how are these women getting all these ultrasounds? Is it
>elective or something? And do you only have one throughout
>your PG assuming your are low risk?
>
>I would just love to see, hear....SOMETHING! x(

one more thing . . . . it's not unusual to not able to pick up a heartbeat b4 10-12 wks. with a doppler.
Valerie

Thanks Valerie. What you are saying is what I suspected. But jeez...sooooo boring!!! LOL. Throw me a bone will ya. Some sign that the nausea and constipation are all worth it, lol.

So, from a different perspective....I will consider myself LUCKY if I don't get an ultrasound before 18 weeks.;-) I guess watching other people's on You tube will have to suffice. :eek:

Thanks everyone for the info.

I had two different doctors for my first two, and both did an early ultrasound to check viability. The first pregnancy was text book. The second, if they hadn't done the ultrasound they would have never know there were complications. I was carrying twins and one appeared to be having development problems with her heart. They caught it because of the ultrasound, so I will always ask for an early ultrasound. If not, we wouldn't have our 2 yr old now.

Lindzebird

When I had my son, I had a vaginal ultrasound at 12 weeks ( my first appt). Then I had a 'regular' (over the tummy) ultrasound at 24 weeks. I agree with the above posters, depends on your dr and insurance. It is really aweseome hearing the heartbeat the first time though!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.