Ultimate Yogi

StaceyV

Has anyone done this yoga program? I love Cathe's weight training, tabata and HITT videos and I can't wait for XTrain. I'm not a big fan of yoga. The slow nature doesn't appeal to me and holding the poses is very mentally and physically challenging. But, I'm noticing that I'm rapidly losing flexibility and my back and hips are starting to ache from exercise, chasing my kids around, sitting cross legged on the floor, etc. So, I'm trying to get interested in yoga and meditation. Any input as to whether or not this program could change my mind about yoga would be great. Thanks!

I am curious about UY, too. I have had my eye on it for a while. I am going to ask Santa for it. :)

If you think all yoga is slow moving, try Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness, 2. My heart rate goes up and it's challenging in places-crazy challenging. Eoin's philosophy is is "all levels, all good", which I love. It feels inclusive and modifications are shown. He is very chill and has no judgments. It is loads of premixes on 2 DVDs.

I am looking at this series as well. I LOVE doing Cathe's yoga dvds - both relax and max. I really wish she were going to do more for XTRAIN. I am hoping that someone who has this series will post and give us some insight.

I felt that way about yoga for a long time, but once I found a few I enjoyed doing, I couldn't get enough. When doing a Cathe rotation, I still try to incorporate yoga at least once a week.

I also like Eoin Finn. I have the Power Yoga for Happiness and like that he provides premixes. Plus there is a dog on a yoga mat!! My other go-to yoga workouts are Baron Baptiste's Long and Lean Yoga and Bob Harper's Yoga for the Warrior. I wish Bob's DVD was chaptered, because it is an hr. long, but there is a good ab workout also included. Plus it was only $5.

I also use Cathe's 2 from LIS.

I'll be watching for feedback on UY, but hope they don't convince me to buy! LOL

Lisa

Increasing the amount of healthy fats helped with my flexibility a lot. If you don't like yoga, how about just Stretch Max? Those are shorter than most yoga practices and get right into the places we need stretched most. I hope that helps.

I agree with RapidBreath - Stretch Max is a really nice add on to help out with muscles getting less flexible with age.

If you do go with yoga, may I nicely suggest that you take a beginner yoga class at a studio just to make sure you are in proper alignment :) You will find so much more enjoyment and comfort in the poses when you do go with a DVD for your home practice after taking just a few classes. Many of the studios where I live have a 'beginner's class' of 10 for a little under $100....

I just checked out Ultimate Yogi on Youtube. I may add this to my Amazon wish list. I'm always looking for new yoga dvds.

If you look on the ultimateyogi website, there are a few DVDs that you can purchase separately. One is a beginner set and the other is titled Yoga Cross Training with a bonus ab section. They may be from the ultimate yogi series.

I ordered the Cross Training DVD; darn enablers on this site :D

Lisa

I have Ultimate Yogi and I think it is a fantastic set. The only thing that keeps me from doing it more often is the fact that they are all about an hour long, maybe a bit more, and I just don't have that kind of time. He's coming out with a Short and Sweet set soon, and I'll definitely get those!

Thank you all so much for the feeback. I'm keeping Ultimate Yogi on my list, but I'll most likely get one of the shorter/cheaper versions to try out first. Thanks again!

Just thought I'd point out that Rodney Yees am yoga is on sale at collagevideo this week for $5.98. (shipping is cheap, too, it was less than $3 to Hawaii for me)

Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for Your Week

Certified instructor description: Five complete programs, each one uses a distinct series of targeted yoga poses. They’re specifically designed to enrich your entire day by loosening your muscles, awakening your body and centering your mind (even the scenery is tranquil and calming; they’re exquisitely filmed amid the red rocks of Glen Canyon, Arizona). Each individual workout has a focus — from “Twists” that builds flexibility to “Standing Poses” that boost energy. As always, Rodney’s one-on-one instruction is friendly and precise (the DVD even offers “full cuing” and “minimal cuing” options to match your level and mood). ©2008.

The programs range from 23 - 26 minutes in length.

Funny you should ask about this series. I just purchased it and had started my 108 day commitment, when I was hit by the worst case of vertigo I have ever experienced. I couldn’t move for a week without throwing up. I am still suffering from some residual effects, but I am determined to start again on Monday.
I had done three of the tapes before I got sick and really enjoyed them. I am not a big yoga fan, but notice that I really feel good after doing a yoga workout. That was the point of buying this series, to make myself do more stretching, flexibility and balance workouts. I was using them as a second workout in the afternoon. I do weights and cardio in the morning.
The workouts are about one hour long, but they move fast so you won’t get bored. These workouts are somewhat intense, you will sweat! They have a high production value and great cueing. I’m happy with my purchase and can’t wait to get started again.

I ordered it last week and it shipped yesterday. Deep Discounts had a cyber week sale and they had it for $55 with shipping. It's now $76 (with free shipping), which is a still a great deal. Other places are charging $120-$125 for it.

I want to do this as written, but I also ordered X Train. LOL

I bought the Ultimate Yogi from their website on Black Friday and got a great deal (though I've never heard of Deep Discounts - thanks for the info). Although I haven't liked yoga in the past, I'm really loving this sight. I workout with Cathe (weights and cardio) regularly, so I'm in pretty good shape. I have to say that after the first workout, I was SORE. My abs, arms... you name it. I'm very impressed. The production quality equals Cathe's and Travis' cuing is fantastic. You don't even need to look at the screen to know what to do, and I'm saying that as someone with minimal knowledge of yoga poses. I pre-ordered Les Mills Combat and I'm hoping it will arrive this week. I plan to intersperse these two programs - every other day yoga and Combat. Thanks to those of you who responded to my initial post. Enablers are us!

oooh Jen, you enabler, you! I am so close to hitting that purchase button. I've put it into my shopping bag and now I am just debating about spending MORE money. I do want it and this is a great price. Thanks for sharing!

Macbeanur, Do it! Push the button you know you want to!!!! :p

StacyV-Are you doing only UY or are you mixing it in with other workouts. I am glad to hear you are finding this challenging. I keep hearing really positive things about UY and I am excited to start.

EDIT: OK, yeah "reading is fundamental". StacyK, I see you're going to do the new Les Mills with UY. Sounds fun!

I know I'm a little late responding to this, but after I saw this thread I looked into the series and subsequently bought the first one only, Yoga Foundations, which I really like as a nice gentle practice.

Anyway, I liked them on Facebook and saw that they are offering 30% off of all of their products. You have to type in HappyHolidays at checkout.

Just a little FYI for those of you who were interested.

Elizabeth

I just placed an order yesterday for Yoga Foundations and Yoga Short and Sweet. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll credit my account!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.