Turbo Tower/STS Push Pull Tower

pull up bar on turbo tower

Thanks Jengollf for sharing your thoughts....With regards to doing pull ups,we all have to start from somewhere.
When I discovered Cathe, I could not do any push up at all...Now I can do about twenty on my toes and I am building to do even more!

Turbo tower has been mentioned in various discussions here in the forum. I can sense news coming out soon! Everyone want to have one. I would If I could for sure. I reckon the re-designed one will have a squat rack option ;)

It is a good idea to have a turbo for yourself jengolf, it is good to try various equipment. Turbo offers few variations excellent for us starting and building up on pull ups. I wish we could have such equipment in UK...

I am sure you will build up technique and more strength to do more than two...

I wish you the very best,

Nathalie

I wish we could have such equipment in UK...

Nathalie, I hear ya girl! Wish we could get them here in Australia too. Am hoping the new turbo tower is super light weight (to reduce shipping costs for those of us who live on the other side of the planet), doubles as a squat rack and is collapsible for easy storage. Now, is that too much to ask? I'd love the tower as well and am currently on my second round of STS without one. I have thought about getting those valor stands but not sure how my step would fit between them since I don't have a bench and don't plan on getting one - no room. STS is certainly do-able without the tower, just have to be careful hoiking up a heavy barbell from the floor. Remember in heavy weights programs before STS (such as Muscle Max), Cathe doesn't use a tower. The first time I did STS I used a doorway mounted pull-up bar and a chair since I'm not even close to doing a single pullup on my own but found that I was mainly using my legs rather than arms/back to lift myself up. This time round I'm using tubing instead and am finding it much more effective and a lot less frustrating.

jengollf said:
Mjd--when you use tubing in place of pull ups, do you secure the tubing to the top of the doorway?

Inquiring Minds want to know.... I have the same question. How do u secure the tubing to the door??

I've been hoping for this, too, but I wouldn't get too excited. Judging by SNM's message, it could be some time before any details are available, and then even more time before it's ready to ship. My guess would be some time next year - but I'd love to be wrong!

Regarding tubing...

I have the tubes with handles to sub for a pullup bar in STS. The tubes come with a little sleeve. Attached to the sleeve is a small object sewn into the sleeve.

So...what you do is place the object on the inside of the door ib the hinge side with the tubing on the outside and close the door - that's what holds it in place.

My house is a little wonky and I was lucky that the door I use actually closes firmly.

I put mine just above the top hinge...so far so good.

story1267 said:
I have the tubes with handles to sub for a pullup bar in STS. The tubes come with a little sleeve. Attached to the sleeve is a small object sewn into the sleeve.

So...what you do is place the object on the inside of the door ib the hinge side with the tubing on the outside and close the door - that's what holds it in place.

My house is a little wonky and I was lucky that the door I use actually closes firmly.

I put mine just above the top hinge...so far so good.

Thanks!!!! I hope I still have the little sleeve thing!!!

Pull up equipment/Perfect Pull up Has anyone tried?

I decided to purchase the "Perfect Pull up" bar.
Here is the link for those who could be interested
Perfect Pullup - Pull-Up / Push-Up Bars

According to the description it does offer many variation to users starting from beginners, intermediate and advanced/performing a traditional pull up.
It seems to offer the same variation as the STS tower.

Can not wait to try it. Will keep you posted with my thoughts on this!
Also I will add a tubing too, just in case I fancy the feeling of the resistance band on my back :):):)

Getting ready he he he ;)

To mjd

Nathalie, I hear ya girl! Wish we could get them here in Australia too. Am hoping the new turbo tower is super light weight (to reduce shipping costs for those of us who live on the other side of the planet), doubles as a squat rack and is collapsible for easy storage. Now, is that too much to ask? I'd love the tower as well and am currently on my second round of STS without one. I have thought about getting those valor stands but not sure how my step would fit between them since I don't have a bench and don't plan on getting one - no room. STS is certainly do-able without the tower, just have to be careful hoiking up a heavy barbell from the floor. Remember in heavy weights programs before STS (such as Muscle Max), Cathe doesn't use a tower. The first time I did STS I used a doorway mounted pull-up bar and a chair since I'm not even close to doing a single pullup on my own but found that I was mainly using my legs rather than arms/back to lift myself up. This time round I'm using tubing instead and am finding it much more effective and a lot less frustrating.

I am with you on no usage of benches with safety catch on Muscle Max...We did cope. Didn't we? I love Muscle Max. When I mastered MM moves I knew I was hooked for life! Barbell is my favourite weight equipment. It has been used a lot in MM., therefore will always reach for MM. Plus it is the first HEAVY cathe's program I tried out.

Now I want to flirt:D with heavier loads and need a bench. One more week and will be setting up mine. Can not wait to do STS.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

I am with you on no usage of benches with safety catch on Muscle Max...We did cope. Didn't we? I love Muscle Max. When I mastered MM moves I knew I was hooked for life! Barbell is my favourite weight equipment. It has been used a lot in MM., therefore will always reach for MM. Plus it is the first HEAVY cathe's program I tried out.

Now I want to flirt:D with heavier loads and need a bench. One more week and will be setting up mine. Can not wait to do STS.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

It feels wonderful to chest press 50lbs+ with your barbell. Something about it makes you feel so empowered and strong. That's why I got a Turbo Tower, so I could *flirt* around with heavier loads :eek:. Also, doing pull/chin-ups makes you feel like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 :eek::eek:.

I'm sorry you don't have a Turbo Tower like-thingy in the UK Nathalie :(. Although you are home to some of my idols, like Gordon Ramsay ;). Not fitness related, but I mean he IS an incredible chef and in pretty awesome shape so...;)

Wishing all you ladies lots of success with the new Turbo Tower OR bench. Happy lifting :D

Natasha

Flirting with heavier loads!

Lol Natasha,

Did you feel like Linda Hamilton throughout STS program.:D:D:D

I am looking forward to serious swelling doing Meso 3:eek::eek::eek:. This may sound odd but I like the swelling feeling in my biceps and triceps.

As to Gordon, I am not a fan, My sister is... I think he swears too much!
I do feel for people participating to his program. His military approach in the kitchen can get extreme sometimes. I do not hate him though.Well I suppose it all good entertainment on tv.

Natasha, Have you done any STS round consisting of starting from meso 3 and going all back to meso 1? If you have pls let me have your thoughts on it.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Lol Natasha,

Did you feel like Linda Hamilton throughout STS program.:D:D:D

I am looking forward to serious swelling doing Meso 3:eek::eek::eek:. This may sound odd but I like the swelling feeling in my biceps and triceps.

As to Gordon, I am not a fan, My sister is... I think he swears too much!
I do feel for people participating to his program. His military approach in the kitchen can get extreme sometimes. I do not hate him though.Well I suppose it all good entertainment on tv.

Natasha, Have you done any STS round consisting of starting from meso 3 and going all back to meso 1? If you have pls let me have your thoughts on it.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Nathalie,

With regards to your question, unfortunately due to a persistent lower back problem, I had to stop M3 early :(. The very heavy weights that were needed to challenge me, just wreaked havoc on my back. I had to play it safe and stop. That being said, I was still bench pressing about 60lbs into M2. Depending on how long you have been strength training and what your strengths are within certain muscles groups, you may be required to lift some pretty impressive weight #'s well before M3. A bench w/catchers to assist with the barbell is necessary, so be prepared!

I will be completely honest with you, I did not pyramid down because I was missing my other Cathe strength workouts! To be committed for 3 1/2 months to the same strength training routines is just not me. I get bored easily and crave variety. Not that I will never revisit STS in the future, my mind and body just needed the break. I have been doing my own rotations now, and have included STS legs from M1,2, 3, because I just love em' so damn much!

Take care & good luck! :)

Natasha

Valor BD-9 Tower...Has anyone tried it?

i am (patiently...ok, impatiently...you caught me :) waiting for the new turbo tower to be released. Tahitia mentioned the Valor BD-9 as a possible alternative...the reviews on Amazon are good...but has anyone tried it?? would love to hear about it if anyone has....

Sunsdaughter, I know that a few people have made posts about the Valor being a substitute, although they referenced older versions. BD-9 is the newest version. Search through other forums on the Turbo Tower. They were very pleased with it.

I don't want to use a door pull up bar or tubing for the door because I know someone personally who, after time, the pull up bar caused damaged to thier door frame, and with the tubing in the doorway caused cracks. I don't want to take the risk.

To Natasha, Hope you get better very soon!

Nathalie,

With regards to your question, unfortunately due to a persistent lower back problem, I had to stop M3 early :(. The very heavy weights that were needed to challenge me, just wreaked havoc on my back. I had to play it safe and stop. That being said, I was still bench pressing about 60lbs into M2. Depending on how long you have been strength training and what your strengths are within certain muscles groups, you may be required to lift some pretty impressive weight #'s well before M3. A bench w/catchers to assist with the barbell is necessary, so be prepared!

I will be completely honest with you, I did not pyramid down because I was missing my other Cathe strength workouts! To be committed for 3 1/2 months to the same strength training routines is just not me. I get bored easily and crave variety. Not that I will never revisit STS in the future, my mind and body just needed the break. I have been doing my own rotations now, and have included STS legs from M1,2, 3, because I just love em' so damn much!

Take care & good luck! :)

Natasha

Hope you get better, from your lower back pain, very soon! I am so grateful to not having any issue which could possibly impede me to train to the best of form and ability. Take care...

As to your thoughts on three months of STS commitment, I fully understand that. I too, like variety....Variety is the key to keep on going, striving for more challenges trying different new activities. I like being versatile...no compromise with form though!

I will keep you posted when I set my STS date, Hopefully I will find some newbie buddy to team up with:)

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Tahitia said:
Sunsdaughter, I know that a few people have made posts about the Valor being a substitute, although they referenced older versions. BD-9 is the newest version. Search through other forums on the Turbo Tower. They were very pleased with it.

I don't want to use a door pull up bar or tubing for the door because I know someone personally who, after time, the pull up bar caused damaged to thier door frame, and with the tubing in the doorway caused cracks. I don't want to take the risk.

Thanks Tahitia! I just may go for the BD9.... :)

Does anyone do STS at the gym? I restarted it last week and so I am only on M1W2. I started the program earlier this year and stopped at M2W2 because I got sick for a week, and then my schedule got very hectic. Now I'm restarting. I don't have the room in my house to buy any more equipment, like a bench, so I am also wondering about being able to really increase my weight for presses and squats in particular. I complain about this to my fiance, who suggests I just do my routine at the gym. I'm such a gym-a-phobe though. I like watching Cathe and the crew, but since we have our sheets, there is no real reason I cannot do this routine at the gym. Has anyone else done this?

Eva

Now I really want a turbo tower! I now have STS and finally bought a barbell and plates. All that's left is the tower! I am not planning to start STS for several months, so I am trying to decide on a suitable substitute for the turbo tower. My husband wants to get me a bench with a squat rack attached but I'm concerned I won't be able to use it to do modified pull ups.

Would it be best to get the valor squat rack and a separate bench? I thought about using my high step rather than a bench and just getting the valor, but that leads me to another question. I don't have the club step Cathe uses in her workouts--I use my Transfirmer. A club step looks more versatile tho. Cathe uses it at levels (10 and 12 inches) that the transfirmer doesn't support. It's also longer than the transfirmer. Any thoughts on the best combo?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.