Trying to Fit in Yoga Monday 3/5

megadoo

Cathlete
Good morning Yoginis!!! Missed you!

I had a WONDERFUL time in NYC! There are two pics on the pic trail, more will come. I saw some really sexy FDNY firemen in action! I was in my glory! I need to move there so I can join and hang out with them!! Whoa baby!
Nancy and AMy are beautiful people and their DH's are great! Wonderful time!

We walked ALL OVER Manhattan on Sat, so I am counting that as a WO LOL! Not sure what is up today, but it will have to be later.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Morning Yoginis -

This morning I did SWAT Weight Loss & Strength and listened to my own music. I added on speed skaters with my Gliding discs at the end and a few sets of Firewalkers, 3 sets of Jacknives with a 10# DB, Pikes with the Gliding discs and I tried to do a set of Barbell rollouts.....not sure if I did them correctly. Totally forgot about the warm up and cool down (since it's not on the DVD) so workout was about 77 minutes and I burned 370 calories. Wanted to add on some additional cardio...but I have a doctor appt. later and I was going to try and see if I could get in earlier since I'm still not working. I also did Ana Forest's Strength & Spirit yoga.

Re: Ana Forest - I don't really care for her as an instructer and I tend to like Pleasure of Strength more than Strenght & Spirit. I only did this DVD one other time and I hated it. I actually liked it today. It is not real strenuous (but I didn't want very strenuous today) and she did some good neck and shoulder stuff. I really don't like her voice....but maybe I'll warm up to her over time.

Last night I did the 20 minute Yin Yoga segment off of the J Kries Hot Body Cool Mind DVD (level 1 - shorter yin segment) and this is so relaxing! I love it.

Jen - I had that workout in VHS with Janis Saffel and Scott Cole. I just pitched it the other day when DH & I were moving some of my VHS to the basement to make room for my ever growing DVD collection. I thought the Tai Chi segments were too slow.....but you might like it. I probably should of kept it to do when I'm 70!! LOL.

Meg - I had to order a new set of balls (The Elaine Petrone Method ones for pain) cuz my ball was losing air. I got it on Amazon.com for cheap. They come 2 in a kit with a booklet. They are smaller than my previous balls and the booklet is very good. I placed them under all areas in the book last night, as she states that placing them in one spot may help the main in a totally different spot and I actually found one spot in particular that really seemed to help my shoulders (putting in under the elbow). I was thinking you should probably get them for your pain. You do have pain from your condition, correct?

Yve - I've been meaning to try some Pilates on the Foam Roller and I really want to try fitting some Pilates into my afternoons, but the DH keeps giving me little projects around the house! Have you ever seen the Supreme Pilates infomercial? If so, do you think a Reformer would work you just as well? I have a reformer from QVC....but I keep seeing Supreme Pilates and wanting it (and of course I have no money for such a purchase)....so I'm hoping my Reformer is just as good.

Have great days everyone.

Thought I'd post these Q&A from the Ravi & Ana Newsletter on Kundalini for anyone that's interested:

I have noticed that many Kundalini Yogis sit on sheepskin rugs. Isn't this duplicitous if you're advocating a vegetarian diet?

Thanks for writing. While it is true that Kundalini Yoga does advocate the use of sheepskins for practice, we are vegetarians, and personally do not believe in using sheepskin rugs. In all of our DVD's Ana does her practice on a type of shag rug, never sheepskin. The ancient yogis' criteria was that they would use an animal skin if it had been found already dead, or had already been killed for other purposes (animal skins are said to shield one from the earth's magnetic field for deeper meditation) in the same manner that Native Americans relied on buffalo for their survival and did not waste anything. This justification might also be given by modern day Kundalini yogi's.

Nevertheless, we agree that sitting on a dead animal skin should be questioned if one is advocating and practicing a conscious lifestyle, given that their are alternatives (anything with natural fibers).
We believe, that for the good of the planet and our fellow creatures, one should not take anything for granted and try to take the high road whenever possible.

I have been experiencing all the typical symptoms of menopause. My doctor has suggested I try hormone replacement therapy. Does Kundalini Yoga offer an alternative to this approach?

Thanks for writing. Kundalini Yoga, in its ability to balance the glandular system, detoxify, and redress stress, is one of the best things we know of to help a women transition gracefully through menopause and/or keep it at bay. Currently, more and more women are experiencing early onset of menopause because of increasing internal & external stressors. We will be including a segment for menopause in our upcoming DVD called Dr. Yoga House Call. Along with appropriate lifestyle considerations, daily yoga is very important during all stages of menopause, especially Kundalini Yoga, with its emphasis on the glands, relaxation, weight bearing exercise, cardio and meditation. Other good DVD's for transitions would be Fat Free Yoga, Yoga Cleanse, Kundalini Yoga for Beginners & Beyond, Yoga Beauty Body and Yoga Bliss Hips.

Re: Hormone replacement: We are not sure if you are on synthetic hormone replacement or natural. We cannot give advice against your own doctor's, but we can tell you what we would recommend:

We prefer always, to try all natural means first and hopefully never have to resort to synthetic substances. We highly recommend maca which is a plant substance from Peru. It is a completely natural product and highly effective in supporting hormonal balance. We especially like the brand called "Royal Maca" which is 100% organic (distributed by Whole World Botanicals).

Maca stimulates the hypothalamus gland to produce the precursor hormones which in turn help your body to produce (and balance) its own estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Maca also helps to balance the adrenal glands, the thyroid and the pancreas.

We like this idea of nudging the body to produce its own hormones. We feel this is much healthier and very much safer. Maca and a balanced diet including some raw food (for enzymes and life force), seaweed (for the thyroid), and oils such as flax and quality olive oil (for skin and guard against inflammation) and plenty of pure low mineral water to stay hydrated, along with a daily yoga practice, are what we recommend for menopausal women.

You may have to experiment with the dosage level of maca to see what works for you. When one has been using synthetic hormones for a time the ovaries can get sluggish, so you may feel a little worse to start, but ultimately you should feel much better.

Hello Ravi & Ana, My mother and I just started doing your Kundalini yoga DVD's a couple of weeks ago. We now own four of them so far. It has been such an amazing help to us. We can feel healing taking place in our bodies. Each day, we can't wait to do your yoga. Afterwards we feel energized, focused, free, and peaceful. We want to thank you for the program you have put together. Also, we have a question about the chanting; as it is new to us. Is it connected to any particular religion or god? We look forward to your answer and we thank you very much.

Thanks for writing. The chanting in Kundalini Yoga uses a language called Gurmukhi, which is an updated version of Sanskrit, and which exists in the context of the Sikh Tradition. The mantras we use have an objective effect, which is to raise one's awareness and tune oneself to a higher frequency, in the interest of health and happiness, individually and collectively.

We cite these sounds as Universal, a technology which is part of an ancient tradition which predates history as we know it. We believe in this technology because it works. This is the science of Naad Yoga which combines sounds based on their vibratory effect. The quality of a given thing can be determined by its rate of vibration. According to yoga, when we tune ourselves to higher frequencies, the quality of our lives improves.

Kundalini Yoga is all about embracing whatever tools are useful in one's journey towards balance and fulfillment. We never want students to feel that they are being asked to relate to a "god," or power, they don't understand. All of the mantras in Kundalini Yoga are names of God, which can be understood to mean The Universe, Totality, Supreme Intelligence, etc. If you are not sure what you believe, then ascribe a meaning to these concepts based on what is sacred to you. The "gods," in most traditions, are actually archetypes, which are aspects of the human psyche. In all of the yoga traditions, the various deities are actually facets of Infinity (God).

As with the other aspect of Kundalini Yoga, which may seem very strange at first, the bottom line is always what works. So, we encourage students to be scientific in their approach. Proceed with an open mind and heart and ascertain for yourself if the practice does what it says it does.

Hi ladies! Tonight's WO was from Deb's Muscle Building and Cardio Rotation from June 2006. I started with Day 2, since I did not feel like doing chest today. I did Pyramid Triceps, Muscle Max Triceps, Pyramid Biceps, Muscle Max Biceps and Muscle Max Abs. I kept with Cathe's weights except for Pyramid Biceps-just not as strong there. I used the purple band for the triceps work.

Meg-Too cool about your NYC trip. I totally know what you mean about the hottie firemen. Whenever there's a "boot" drive here I always manage to pass the intersection several times where those guys are taking up collections! LOL! :) Hey...it's for a good cause! What an interesting WO you got in too...all that walking definately counts! So glad you had a great time!

Lora-I've seen Ana interviewed briefly on Shiva's bonus material. She seems pretty "outer limits", but then again, she is probably just in a perpetual state of bliss. Must be very nice! Seems like you are enjoying the SWAT workouts and getting some good results. Are they better than Gilad's Elite Forces? I am going to try another Hip Hop Abs workout this week...gotta keep plugging away at it.

Have a great night, ladies! Hi to Yve & Kel if you check-in later! Yve-How are your wedding plans going? Are you remaining sane? :)

Hi ladies,

Last night's workout was my restorative yoga class. We spent alot of time with hip openers - which felt really good given all the cold and icey weather we have had lately. We closed with moon salutations - and it was my first time ever doing this sequence - I have to say - I quite loved doing it. Have you ladies ever gone through this type of sequence?

Meg - your NYC trip sounds amazing.....especially the sites - I mean - eye candy! ;)

Lora - I haven't ever seen the infomercial - but I googled the site. Is this the machine you saw on tv? http://www.supremepilates.com/
If it is - I think a classic reformer would be much better - as you can do more exercises with it. The machine in the site above does not look very sturdy. Having said that - I haven't used the reformer very much - maybe 5 times since I began pilates 4 yrs ago. I do more matwork - and we often use the rings, resistance bands, foam rollers, medicine balls to increase resistance.
The foam rollers that we use cost about US$20. They are simply a sturdy styrofoam roll - Here is the link to the one from Stott... http://www.stottpilates.com/equipment/balance.html#Anchor-FoamRoller-21683. I do highly recommend these - especially for restorative back work - but are also good for strenghtening moves via balance exercises.

Jen - Great workout. The wedding plans are coming along - though I must say I am getting nervous - given the short amt of time till the big day. I ordered my dress - and the saleslady scolded me and said - don't gain weight!! I promised her I'd lose ten by mid-May.
I had my last plate of french fries on Saturday :(
Actually - I am normally a very health conscious eater...but I don't know what has gotten into me lately.

Hope you all have a nice day.
Yve

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.