Total Body TriSets: Lower Body Split

Cruncholi

Cathlete
I just finished this workout and it's fantastic! Cathe gets a whole lot done in about 40 minutes.

There are 9 total exercises, broken into 3 groupings of 3 exercises-2 sets per exercise. I questioned how tired my legs would feel after just 40-ish minutes (about 8 of which is warmup and stretch), but my legs are toast.

The Dixie cups force you to lunge deeply and the weight is kept heavy-moderate on the squats. There is also a balance challenge with 1 legged squats in the last grouping-HARD!!

There is little rest between exercises, so the workout moves fast and furious, keeping the heart rate elevated. My heart rate monitor says that I burned 253 calories.

Nice job Cathe! Thank you for this little gem.

Next morning update: having trouble bending my legs! Plenty sore.

Last edited:
I did this workout after doing STS disc 30 tonight. Loved it! I have to say though that those balance cross over one legged squats were KILLER! I was shaking all over the place. And I did opt for the leg down for the second set. I followed it all up with 35 minutes of bouncing on my rebounder...I think I was just on a high from the great Cathe workouts! Can't wait to do more LIS workouts!

REALLY looking forward to Nov and getting the rotation using LIS!

I did the Upper Body Split last night and was totally challenged! I had to modify a lot....especially the push-ups and the dive bombers :eek:! This is one I'll have to work up to! Sounds like Lower Body Split will give the same challenge! BRAVO CATHE!!! I can't wait to try all the rest! :eek:

I did this Lower Body Split on Monday night, and my glutes are STILL killing me!!! (It's now Wednesday morning.) I was in a time-crunch that night, but needed a lower body workout, and my DVDs had just arrived, so I gave it a shot. I too was thinking that 39 minutes might not give me the fix I needed. But I was WRONG! Cathe never disappoints, in my opinion. WOW!

I jogged some last night (stopped at 3 miles because my butt was killing me) and then did Yoga Relax. I thought that would help get the blood flowing to the area, and stretch it out a bit. Well...still sore! Maybe even worse than yesterday. Just sitting to go to the bathroom is killer! :eek:

I LOVED the innovative moves in this one...innovative twists on time-tested effective exercises. Definitely a time-efficient cardio-legs workout. GREAT for time constraints...as it seems this whole series may be. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loving it already!

Total Body TriSets is a killer workout!!

I did Total Body Trisets Upper Body premix on Monday and today did the Lower Body premix and my legs are SO SORE!! Stairs and walking are going to be interesting today, that's for sure!

I just posted my thoughts about this workout on my blog (scroll down past my pumpkin pie breakfast smoothie... the majority of the post is about the new lower body premix!), but here's the exercise breakdown.

Lower Body TriSet #1 (you repeat this set of exercises twice)
  • Stability Ball Wall Squats w/Dumbells
  • Dixie Cup Front Lunges
  • Dixie Cup Side Lunges

Lower Body TriSet #2 (you repeat this set of exercises twice)
  • Step Ups on High Step + Step Lunges w/Dumbells
  • Elevated Lunges
  • Dumbell Squats

Lower Body TriSet #3 (you repeat this set of exercises twice)
  • Deadlifts w/Dumbells
  • One-Legged Crossover Dip Squats w/Dumbells
  • Roll-ins on Ball

It looks so innocent when you read it on the screen, but I can assure you that this will give you an amazing workout in only 40 minutes! This one is a keeper.
I did this without imaginary Dixie cups - LOL! I will be getting some at the store when I go later this week. :D

Message for Cathe: YOU ROCK!!! You consistently deliver amazing exercise workouts that continue to challenge me and make me stronger (and maybe make me mumble some not so nice things under my breath mid-exercise)! I've been working out with you since I discovered your workouts in college through Videofitness (now I'm 36). I was even on the very first Cathe road trip!! It's been a wonderful experience and I hope to be around on this journey with you for many more years to come! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

I have to do a follow-up to my post. I rarely get DOMS - but I will tell you I can feel my butt this morning! Thanks again for such an excellent workout Cathe!

I did this Lower Body Split on Monday night, and my glutes are STILL killing me!!! (It's now Wednesday morning.) I was in a time-crunch that night, but needed a lower body workout, and my DVDs had just arrived, so I gave it a shot. I too was thinking that 39 minutes might not give me the fix I needed. But I was WRONG! Cathe never disappoints, in my opinion. WOW!

I jogged some last night (stopped at 3 miles because my butt was killing me) and then did Yoga Relax. I thought that would help get the blood flowing to the area, and stretch it out a bit. Well...still sore! Maybe even worse than yesterday. Just sitting to go to the bathroom is killer! :eek:

I LOVED the innovative moves in this one...innovative twists on time-tested effective exercises. Definitely a time-efficient cardio-legs workout. GREAT for time constraints...as it seems this whole series may be. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Loving it already!

I am right there with you. did the workout Monday night and still have DOMs today. I feel it more in my hamstrings today than yesterday but my butt has been sore for two days. Yes bathroom trips are interesting : ) Glad to see I am not the only one, thought it was because I haven't done much lower body work lately. Hoping the upper body is just as good. Plan is to do that tonight.
Rhonda

LOL! I am so glad I'm not alone. Motrin helped a bit, along with extra walking around the office on purpose. But it's still pretty sore.

I'm hoping to try Athletic Training tonight, because the reviews are driving me crazy! I'm so anxious. And yesterday I had to preview a couple of the DVDs, while working on the runtime/equipment file that I shared yesterday, and I LOVED the looks of Athletic Training. Cathe taught a version of that at the Glassboro Road Trip and I loved it then too. So my glutes need to heal by 5:30 today. hahaha!

Cruncholi said:
I just finished this workout and it's fantastic! Cathe gets a whole lot done in about 40 minutes.

There are 9 total exercises, broken into 3 groupings of 3 exercises-2 sets per exercise. I questioned how tired my legs would feel after just 40-ish minutes (about 8 of which is warmup and stretch), but my legs are toast.

The Dixie cups force you to lunge deeply and the weight is kept heavy-moderate on the squats. There is also a balance challenge with 1 legged squats in the last grouping-HARD!!

There is little rest between exercises, so the workout moves fast and furious, keeping the heart rate elevated. My heart rate monitor says that I burned 253 calories.

Nice job Cathe! Thank you for this little gem.

Next morning update: having trouble bending my legs! Plenty sore.

Next night update: holy DOMS batwoman! I made it through Low Impact Challenge with this DOMS, but had to forego the extra bonus step segment due to my legs. It's making me feel like a wimp!

Great Reviews

Thanks for the great reviews everybody. I won't get mine until Friday. The anticipation is killing me but the reviews make it a bit easier.

Any one have any suggestions as to what to use in place of the dixie cups? I forgot to get some at the store. :confused:

Talk about DOMS! Wow, this one really surprised me! I did not feel the burning while I was doing it like Turbo Barre, but the next day, oh my was I super sore. I agree about the cups, they do force you to go deeper into the lunges. Love those little guys! :eek:

Any one have any suggestions as to what to use in place of the dixie cups? I forgot to get some at the store. :confused:

In the open discussion forum, I read that some people use little yogurt cups, plastic tea cups from their daughter's tea set, toilet paper rolls.

I found that little plastic cups from a kids play set work great and they are more durable too. You can grab a set cheaply at the dollar store :D

Holy cow! I did lower body trisets yesterday. I did a so-so performance with Core Cardio Circuit this morning. Probably not the best workout to do after lower body trisets. Talk about DOMS!!! My hamstrings are so stiff and sore, it's an effort to walk normally or sit down. I blame those one-legged squats and dixie cup lunges. I'm going to do SG tomorrow to give myself a little break on the impact. Love the trisets workout (upper and lower). Will definitely be done a regular basis.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.