To the top and back in a day

toughYrun

Cathlete
This weekend DH and I hiked to the top of Mt. Whitney and back in one day! DH had hiked it twice before and he told me that it was tough, but tough is not the correct adjective to describe it.

I have run marathons and so I can say that hiking to the top of Mt. Whitney was just as difficult. I'm certainly hobbling around like I have after running a marathon. The hike is 22 miles round trip. I can attest to the fact that there is little oxygen at the trail head at 8300 feet, and a realllly small amount at the summit of 14,497 feet!

The experience was one of those lifetime memorable events. It was grueling, but if asked if I would do it again the answer would be "YES!"

Wow! what a great challenge, you must feel awesome! I used to watch a show that had people on doing things like that, I think it was Ultimate Goals, and another called Fitness Fantasy. So inspiring to hear your story.

Linda

Congrats Elaine, sounds fabulous, I'm so jealous! Next summer head for Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker in Washington state: beautiful!

Clare

Excellent!!!!! I imagine that's more of a total body workout than you'd get from a marathon. I've hiked the Grand Canyon and it was pretty tough. I wasn't in good shape then, so I'm sure it was worse than it would be now. Probably not much.

Way to go!!!!

Hey Elaine! ( Former Cheetah )

Congratulations on completing such an amazing hike! I recall you had a very long bout with Plantar Fasciitis. How did your foot manage the hike? Are you running long distances at all? Anyway, it is good to read about your great accomplishment 22 miles total!!!! YIKES!

TaTa,
(another former Cheetah)

Hi Judy! The hike definitely was amazing and three days later I'm still sore in my calves and inner quads. I think I'll be ready to workout again tomorrow, but will hold off on running until Friday.

I ended up having surgery on the PF and have had zero problems with that foot since. I've got it now in the other foot, but have been proactive about dealing with it and so I am able to run long distances.

The hike didn't bother the PF a bit and I was very suprised by this. I have custom orthotics that my podiatrist had made for me. However, based on a bad experience with a previous pair I just stuck them in my closet and never wore them. I was worried that I would have issues during and after the Mt. Whitney hike so wore them in my Keens. Strangely, my foot feels better than it has in months! I do love my podiatrist and should have learned by now that I can fully trust him

I am signed up to run a marathon in three weeks, but with family things that occurred this summer I got too far behind in my training to feel comfortable about running it. My long run distance got up to 17 miles though so now I just need to pick a new goal and get to it.

Hah! I see you're running/have run halfs! I remember when you used to say you had no interest! LOL!!!

Last edited:
WOW Elaine!!! Congratulations!! You'd REALLY do it again?!?!?! I get all light-headed just driving up to Pike's Peak (another fourteener)... I can't imagine running up it!!

You are my hero!! You and your DH are CRAZY ROCK STARS!!! :D:D

Pam

WOW Elaine!!! Congratulations!! You'd REALLY do it again?!?!?! I get all light-headed just driving up to Pike's Peak (another fourteener)... I can't imagine running up it!!

You are my hero!! You and your DH are CRAZY ROCK STARS!!! :D:D

Pam

DH and I WALKED up the mountain! LOL!!! Walking felt like running though due to the lack of oxygen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.