to Kathryn

Teals

Cathlete
Hi Kathryn,

You seem to be one of the more helpful and knowledgable people in the forum. I noticed that if no one else bothers to reply to a post you will with great insight and information. You gave me some great advice a few month back as well. I also saw your post to Amy offering to send her an old video. How thoughtful and kind you are.

I'm just curious to know a little about your background. I think I read once that you are a french professor (correct?). I'm just wondering how you discovered Cathe and what was your path to health and fitness.

I hope you don't mind my asking you this in the forum. I thought it would be presumptuous of me to PM you without your permission.

Thanks,

Teals

Hi, Teals!
Let's see, the short (??) story to my background in fitness:

Growing up, I was not at all athletic, and was one of those 'last one picked for the team in gym class' kids, who bombed the President's Physical Fitness tests! I much prefered reading and watching TV to being physical.

I never really got into fitness until around 1976, when I was in college, discovered a food co-op right about the same time I became interested in vegetarianism (for ethical reasons), and began to read voraciously about nutrition and vegetarianism. I became a vegetarian 'cold turkey', but relied a lot on dairy at first. Then a few months into reading more, I gave up most dairy and eggs, except for those contained in already-made foods. (I eventually went all vegan around 1992, but it wasn't as clear-cut a transition as becoming vegetarian.)

I began to work at the coop (becoming a co-manager) and some of that work involved unloading delivery trucks. One day, I was carrying two bags of flour or something into the coop, and when I dropped them off, someone asked me if I was okay. I wondered what they were talking about, and it turns out that I was carrying two, 50-pound bags instead of what I thought were two, 25-pound bags. They didn't feel that heavy! After being a wimpy kid, I was rather proud of that, and I began to get more interested in physical fitness: buying a yoga book that took me through a new pose each day for 30 days, and starting that, beginning walk/running 4 miles a day (in bad shoes, up and down hills...not a very enlightened choice!). I also picked up a weight set and began working with weights a bit (but not too much, thankfully, because I didn't know what I was doing, and if I'd gotten too much into it, I probably would have injured myself!).

Fast forward to grad school in the mid-80's, when first, I got some workout records (vinyl: remember that?! from Jane Fonda, Bess Motta and Joanie Griegans), then I got into riding my bike a lot (and eventually did a century ride...and finished it not with speed, but with persistance), and took a weight training class. One day, our regular teacher was absent (coaching some sports team) and a woman came in as a sub. She taught us more (and CORRECTED us) in 50 minutes than the rather uniterested male teacher did. I realized that he didn't know much! At least not enough to keep us from injury, so I went to pick up some books of my own (Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, some books by Rachel McLish and Gladys Portuguese) because I've always been one to want to learn as much as I can about things that interest me, and I've always been a reader.

From there, I started working out in the college gym, still continuing to read on health, diet and fitness.

I continued to workout (weight training and walking) until I got busy with my prelims and dissertation, ended up not working out much for about 3 years, then got into video workouts around 1992, when I had had a job (as a French teacher at a liberal arts college) for two years, and found that I'd gained 10 pounds in that time!

I started with Kathy Smith, Denise Austin (blech! one workout from her was enough to turn me off to her forever! When she did a 'wiggle' move off the step, I almost tossed the video right there!), Cher and others, doing step aerobics (I started with a soft foam step ---from Denise Austin---which I thought would be kinder to my bumb knee---a souvenir from my runniing attempts!), and picked up some Heavy Hands that I could use at 3# or 5#. I got my first Cathe workout (Step in Motion III) around 1993, and discovered this forum, VF and Collage video catalog at about the same time.

Since then, I've been pretty consistent in working out, though there have been times when I've gotten away from working out (for months at a time...once for almost a year, and I never want that to happen again, because what I saw in the mirror at a hotel at the end of that year grossed me out so much I got back into working out!).

I still do a lot of reading in vegan nutrition and fitness, and like to think of these fields as my avocation.

(Okay, so not so short!;-) )

Hey Kathryn, thanks for replying to Teals as I've been curious about your background also as you do seem to be very knowledgeable and eager to share your knowledge. I've appreciated your posts too. I find it interesting that you and I share a similar history ... I did my undergraduate in the 70's and dabbled in fitness, got more into it after graduation, went to grad school in the mid 80's and got more into fitness, did long-distance cycling, got into homevideo (started with vinyl and cassettes first) in the early 90's also. Tried jogging for a few years and found it to be great cardio work but my knees suffered. I was never excited by strength training and avoided it due to its boredom factor, but the last 2 years I've been including more and more and actually like it. I enjoyed your post and am glad to know a little more about you. Deb

Kathryn,
I enjoyed that post as well. It is always nice to learn more about our friends on the forum. I had a minor in French in college, ummm but don't post back in French! LOL. I am very rusty. I have taught my DS, 6, a lot of French. His accent amazes me! Anyway, it was nice to hear more about you! :)
LD

Hi Kathryn,

Great to read of your background. I always read your posts with great interest!

Regarding your vegan way of life - have your researched or heard about Brendan Brazier and his Vega line of products? He is a vegan Ironman Triathlete. Do you have any opinions about this line? We are carrying them at my store Roots Market. I do like his energy bars very much - have not tried his meal replacement drinks yet.

Take care!

Doria

Kathryn...great to know all about you! I am grinning about Jane and Joannie.....yeah, me too! I have a book by Rachel too and loved Gladys. Ended up with some of Cory Everson also when I got into lifting. I started too with some Kathy Smith workouts and added Karen Voight, but in all honesty I could NOT stand Denise. Seems to show we are in the same age group...:)...and as I do Vegan most of the time, I am really a Vegetarian at heart. Thanks so much for sharing...:)

Kathryn,

I always love to hear how people got into fitness. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm with you on Denise Austin - can't stand her. Can you believe someone actually gave me two Denise Austin DVDs for xmas last year? I hate to be so unappreciative, but they're still sitting on my shelf untouched.

Lisa

>Regarding your vegan way of life - have your researched or
>heard about Brendan Brazier and his Vega line of products? He
>is a vegan Ironman Triathlete. Do you have any opinions about
>this line?

Hi Doria.
I'm a big fan of Brendan (and have chatted with him briefly on another forum). His book "Thrive" got me interested in hemp and maca and some other nutrients and started me doing more reading into acid-alkaline balance. I also like his "Thrive Diet and Lifestyle" book, which I think is still only available through www.amazon.ca so far.

I started making smoothies with hemp, maca, ground flax before I tried Vega. Now, I regularly use Vega (I like chocolate best, original is second best, but berry is horrid! Though of the bars, I like the berry the best). It's certainly an acquired taste. I think the chlorella--while very nutritious--is what gives it a not-so-pleasant flavor. Definitely NOT something to take just with water, as he suggests. His new smoothie Infusion is much tastier---actually pretty bland. I took some single-serve packs with me when I was travelling, and mixed it with some OJ for breakfast.

Teals,

Thank you so much for asking that. I feel like I know Kathryn a little more now.

Kathryn,

What a story! You are an amazing person. I look up to you for all the knowledge you share with people.

Your advice on vegan books, are helping me with my transition. Still not there yet, but one day, before I know it, I will be.

Your some lady,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

Thanks for sharing Kathyrn.

I appreciated your advice after there was a post warning about the dangers of soy and I was worried that my daily intake might be too high. I can see that you have worked hard to be so knowledgable about fitness and nutrition!

I started working out with Charlene Prickett's show It Figures back in the late 80's - it was the first time I had seen anyone work out on a step. I can't even remember what I used - some old boxes filled with books I think! Kathy Smith was the first video I owned then Cathe. I am glad I skipped Denise Austin! LOL

Your dedication to veganism is an inspiration to many of us. Thanks again for all your sound advice.

Corrie

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-retro4/yinyang02/lb/185/125/140.5/.png[/img] [/url]

Kathryn

Thank you for sharing your story,it was very intresting! I remember all your helpful Post,thank you!

Take care!

Just popping in to agree with what everyone posted!
I always look at Kathryn's replies to various questions!

Oh, and Kathyrn, I know you mentioned going raw, did you ever do it?

Another thanks to Teals for asking the question. I've noticed Kathryn's posts on the forums and how knowledgeable she is, so admit I was curious about her background.

Thanks for sharing your story Kathryn.

Ronne;-)

>Oh, and Kathyrn, I know you mentioned going raw, did you ever
>do it?
>
No, I didn't, and I don't think 100% is a good long-term idea (though it's great as a detox, IMO). I do, however, strive to be 60-80% raw (the higher end in the summer, when local produce is more available). I've never seen convincing arguments/proof that 100% raw is necessary or even really possible to do healthfully. I agree with about 80-90% of even the most convincing raw-food books, so I figre 80-90% raw is a good upper limit, LOL!

I also take some of the ideas (like making zucchini 'noodles' to use instead of spaghetti noodles: I did this for pasta the other night, but briefly steamed them so they weren't raw).

Hi Kathryn,

I knew you'd have a great fitness story.

My sister is a vegan as well (She's 7th Day Adventist). She also uses the co-op. I don't eat any red meat or pork but I'll stop short at staying I'm a vegetarian. I do eat fish and seafood but nowadays with the mercury situation, not so often. About once a week I make a vegetarian dish using some sort of vegi-meat.

I'm curious, since you've been a vegan, how do you keep your protein intake up to accommodate muscle growth and maintenance for these workouts. My sister is strong but quite thin since she went full vegan.

I asked you about your french bakcground because I studied french from 7th - 12th grade and four years of college. How do you maintain your ability to speak french well? When I went to France a few years back, I found that I could read very well but with speaking, my american accent was probably very strong. I had to watch my sentence syntax quite a bit. I did find, however, that the french were very helpful and friendly when I spoke to them in their language, even when I didn't say something quite right.

"so I went to pick up some books of my own (Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, some books by Rachel McLish and Gladys Portuguese) because I've always been one to want to learn as much as I can about things that interest me, and I've always been a reader. "

Me too. What ever happened to Rachel McLish? I had one of her books as well but looking at the pictures didn't help me with my form as much as I would have hoped so I took the book to the gym and had someone walk me through the movements. It took a few tries to get it right because most of the "fitness instructors" knew less than I did. I learned very early that jerking a heavy weight up wasn't good for the joints or muscle. That seemed to be what everyone was doing back then.

"I continued to workout (weight training and walking) until I got busy with my prelims and dissertation"...

Is your PhD in French, French Literature, Humanities or something totally different?

"...Denise Austin (blech! one workout from her was enough to turn me off to her forever!

I was never into her. I find something about her quite boring. My best friend loves her though.

"...discovered this forum, VF and Collage video catalog at about the same time."

What is VF? How did you discover Cathe? I found her by accident. I had no idea WHO she was. I was trying to get the next workout from the intro step with Gin Miller that came with my step in 1990. SNM told me about SNM I, which I purchased. That was NOT the next logical step workout for someone who used Gin Millers 20 minute basic routine. I got rid of it never knowing that I had something special in my posession. Shortly after I discovered Cathe again in the late 90's (via Fit TV) I found out that it was her step tape that I'd tossed away. I could still kick myself.

Anyway, thanks Kathryn for sharing. As you can see, I wasn't the only one appreciating your insights and wondering about you.

à bientôt,

Teals

>I'm curious, since you've been a vegan, how do you keep your
>protein intake up to accommodate muscle growth and maintenance
>for these workouts. My sister is strong but quite thin since
>she went full vegan.

I'm strong, but not huge (has to do with being an ecto-endo mix, neither of which are easy to grow muscles on), but protein is rather a non-issue if you eat a balanced diet. I do have a hemp protein smoothie once a day (as meal replacement, because I'm pretty lazy about making breakfast!). Otherwise, I don't really stress about protein, just putting in the work and eating sufficient calories.

>How do
>you maintain your ability to speak french well?

I teach three classes a day in French when I'm teaching, and otherwise I listen to French programs, French CD's, French movies, and meet with a French-speaking group once a week. Reading a lot (even if it's Stephen King in French!) also helps.

>
>Me too. What ever happened to Rachel McLish?

I haven't seen her since she was in some movie (as a Latin American revolutionary?)

>Is your PhD in French, French Literature, Humanities or
>something totally different?

I have a PhD in French.

>What is VF?

VF = www.videofitness.com

>How did you discover Cathe?
Shape magazine used to have a yearly review of fitness videos, and Cathe's "Step in Motion III" was given an "A" (or maybe even A+) by the magazine. That was my first Cathe DVD.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.