tneah or anyone - lifting lighter?

bitmover

Cathlete
Hey Tiffany, I decided to post here -- feel free to chime in, anyone..... (and thanks to fit44 for already giving me info on slim series!).

The other day I was searching for info on slim series and came across tneah's posting from 2007, I think it was, about a new approach to exercise. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not cut out for all of STS -- the heavy lifting, and I'm wondering how your "new" approach worked back then, and if you're planning to do STS. I certainly intend to keep my STS order, because I want to try it, and I know I'll get a lot of use out of at least some of it, but.... I'm really wondering if I should be trying something else. I feel kind of bulky and I'm not wild about a three day split. Anyway, really just wondering what sort of results you had with lighter lifting, and whether or not you stuck with it or went back to heavier lifting. I am planning to take the next month to do a rotation of lighter lifting and circuits, and then maybe by then STS will have shipped and I can at least give it a go, but I am curious what longer term use of something like slim series does for people who have been doing cathe and may have bulked up a bit. Thanks for any insight you can provide!

-Beth

Hey just chiming in here..
I think you should assess your heavy lifting routine (is it *really* heavy?)
Just want to remind anyone that thinks that they are getting "bulky" that muscle isn't built in females that easily. Most women's that see "bulk" aren't seeing too much muscle, but too much fat thay still have to lose (that's covering the muscle)

*meant in good terms, please dont take the wrong way*

I would think that with STS you could just adjust the weights to your needs.. if you feel you have too much muscle and want to reduce it, then higher reps/lighter weights will do the trick. If you want to stay where you are then you might want to consider "strength" training (and who wouldn't want to be stronger??)
This uses the 4-6 rep range. It builds strength without increasing much size and activates more fast twich fibers (which in turn burn more fat-- and who wouldn't want that ;)
Building mass would be the 8-12 range so you might want to stay away from that (althouh I would think alternating them with higher rep days would be helpful if you're looking for mainenence, as you would lose muscle on the lighter weights alone)

However, also keep in mind that you have to reach failure within these rep ranges or else they are not considered useful. Like if you are lifting weights for 10 reps, but you could have easily banged out another 5-10, then its not going to give you the 8-12 rep range results of hypertrophy (muscle size increase).

I hope I was helpful some.. if not then Im sorry for rambling on :-D

Hey all,

Pebblesus made a good point..building muscle isn't that easy actually, what we consider bulk is simply fat covering the muscle or extra water weight...but some do build easier than others for sure. I grew weary of worrying about it all, and cannot stomach Slim Series...so I picked up the kettlebell workouts and am having a BLAST!:p

They get your heart rate up and work your whole body in a totally different way, in fact they are all that I am doing plus steady state cardio right now. I do add a day of weights for my legs though as I feel I need a little extra help here, I tend to carry fat in the lower body and like how weights keep my butt and legs nice and tight. Here is my current rotation..

Monday..Newport kettlebell workout plus 35 minutes cardio steady state

Tuesday...60 minutes cardio plus 1 segment of Coremax

Wednesday...Extreme Kettlebell workout...45 minutes CC

Thursday...60 minute cardio plus stretchmax-legs at the gym

Friday...Laurens Kettlebell workout..35 minute walk

Saturday..Providence Kettlebell workout

Sunday...rest

I do extra cardio cause it works for my body type and I never get overtrained, if I feel too tired I will skip the cardio though..I have not been doing the kettlebellls long enough to be able to report on what they are doing for my body fat and stuff, but will report back in a month. Now if I can get the diet together...

One more thing, I will get back to the weights once STS arrives and see what happens! I just needed to have fun again and stop worrying about bulk, and muscle and stuff which is why I turned to kettlebells, they are just so much fun!

I've been working my lower body with lighter weights and increased the frequency of training to 5-6 days a week. I've been getting great results. My quads are popping out, and I've noticed I'm finally getting the skin to lift at my knees.
My body responds to this type of workout and I've decided I'm going to stick with it until STS comes along. I re-evaluate and go from there.

Good to hear Cynthia! That is kinda what kettlebells do for the legs, plus I added one more lighter weight/high rep for legs during the week. I too am looking to "lift" that lovely knee droop that is just starting to appear..gross.:p

You guys sound like me! I tried a low weight/high rep routine for about 2 weeks & I hated it. It just wasn't any fun for me, I found it frustrating & annoying. So I went back to lifting heavy except w/my leg routine, which as of today remains low weight/high rep b/c of those stupid knees. And the cottage cheese that seems to be sprouting on my butt & thighs. :(

I wonder if I should add in a second routine for the shrinkage? Maybe something at home like B&G? I have issues w/the at home leg workouts, they're so long & repetitive I get bored too quickly & give up on them.

The lovely knee sag is something only women over 40 can understand. :( I'm beginning to feel like there is hope.

Tneah, I'm new to kbell's so I'm slowly adding it into my workouts. I'm trying to learn the form. I have been practicing the hip/glute squeeze with just plain squats.
I purchased Anthony's training clinic and he teaches the swings by starting with a squat. My squat form has improved greatly because of it. The squeeze at the top makes all the difference!

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'm definitely going to go light for a month and just see what happens. I have high hopes STS will be shipping in this next month -- we'll see. Maybe more than anything it's just the three day split for three months that I am somewhat dreading. At any rate, I am not going the way of the kettleball, as intriguing as it sounds! :) Thanks for chiming in Laura, I remembered after I sent mine in that you had had a similar thread -- interesting to discover you couldn't stand the higher reps for very long!

-Beth

Hey all,

Pebblesus made a good point..building muscle isn't that easy actually, what we consider bulk is simply fat covering the muscle or extra water weight...but some do build easier than others for sure. I grew weary of worrying about it all, and cannot stomach Slim Series...so I picked up the kettlebell workouts and am having a BLAST!:p

They get your heart rate up and work your whole body in a totally different way, in fact they are all that I am doing plus steady state cardio right now. I do add a day of weights for my legs though as I feel I need a little extra help here, I tend to carry fat in the lower body and like how weights keep my butt and legs nice and tight. Here is my current rotation..

Monday..Newport kettlebell workout plus 35 minutes cardio steady state

Tuesday...60 minutes cardio plus 1 segment of Coremax

Wednesday...Extreme Kettlebell workout...45 minutes CC

Thursday...60 minute cardio plus stretchmax-legs at the gym

Friday...Laurens Kettlebell workout..35 minute walk

Saturday..Providence Kettlebell workout

Sunday...rest

I do extra cardio cause it works for my body type and I never get overtrained, if I feel too tired I will skip the cardio though..I have not been doing the kettlebellls long enough to be able to report on what they are doing for my body fat and stuff, but will report back in a month. Now if I can get the diet together...

WOW, so you really got into KBs! Aren't they so much fun? Hope all is well!

Hey "hippie friend!"

Yep, I got sick and tired of the weights, I did one kettlebell workout and realized that these things are gonna work wonders on my body, really! My DH has even noticed I do not look as "bulky"...he said that this afternoon, and is encouraging me with the bells. I just think they are a godsend to me,although I went a little crazy today and hurt my lower back, I think my hip thrusts need a little work...I think I might be using and thrusting my lower back forward which cannot be good. Any suggestions?? I was reading your posts over on the VF forum about the kettlebells and it helped me make up my mind about them.

Lighter LIfting

Hi! I used to train heavy in the gym. I loved the feeling of lifting heavy and then I found Cathe (2 Novembers ago). With the ability to mix & match and premix options I have become extremely creative in the way I workout. I'll admit that I do like Cathe's Hardcore Series because it is similar to being in the gym and you can go heavy, but right now I am really into making circuit/bootcamp/plyometric workouts. Let me tell you, they are hard! LOL :p I too have been doing lighter legs 6 days per week and have seen great results. In addition to the interval training I do, the workouts I have made up are really allowing my legs to get great shape. Here is the schedule I am following right now. It might seem a little extreme, but I am fueling the workouts and feeling great! Besides, I am having fun! LOL!!

day one: total body cross train (upper, lower, abs)
interval training 2x: arc trainer & stepmill

day two: legs (plyometric circuit workout)
am cardio pm interval training step mill

day three: upper body circuit with plyo legs (think HSTA with only leg press)
interval training 2x: elliptical & arc trainer

day four: legs (more traditional style (think butts & gutts)
am cardio pm interval training step mill

day five: upper body circuit/bootcamp (original bootcamp)
interval training 2x: arc trainer & step mill

day six: total body cross train (upper, lower, abs)
am cardio only

*FYI I never use Cathe's workouts "as is" I make my own workouts using the mix & match option. So, my workouts tend to be longer and more demanding than the original...can you imagine that!! LOL:eek:

Hey "hippie friend!"

Yep, I got sick and tired of the weights, I did one kettlebell workout and realized that these things are gonna work wonders on my body, really! My DH has even noticed I do not look as "bulky"...he said that this afternoon, and is encouraging me with the bells. I just think they are a godsend to me,although I went a little crazy today and hurt my lower back, I think my hip thrusts need a little work...I think I might be using and thrusting my lower back forward which cannot be good. Any suggestions?? I was reading your posts over on the VF forum about the kettlebells and it helped me make up my mind about them.

As of today KB swings helped my hip to be the strongest ever. It is sort of tricky but slowly and surely after practicing a lot I think I've finally licked it.
When you swing at the same time you must really tighten you butt as hard as you can and snap your knee straight (this is a very forceful move, you almost jump a little ) and snap the hip forward at the same time. Snapping the knee is crucial, it's so powerful that your heel almost comes off the floor. The snap also instantly tighten your glutes, and we all know that tight glutes saves lower back.
Steve Cotter has an absolutely great Encyclopedia DVD seres about KB lifting, I think it's a must for all kb warriors. I can very highly recommend it to you.
I'm so happy that you are hooked! Take care, Hippie Friend! :)

Kathrynfitness, thanks for your post! It does look like you work hard! I'm so feeble about working out without a dvd guiding me -- not sure I could quite do that unless I translated it into dvds. I think that's another mental block I have about STS -- I can't even get through the 1RM testing without a dvd guiding me! Lame, I guess.... I need to be told exactly what to do! :)

-Beth

kathrynfitness,

That is a great looking workout schedule!
I own all of Cathe's circuits and your post has given me some excellent examples of how to put these together. Thanks!

I am ordering that encyclopedia to study so I will not hurt myself, I have the thrust down, but not the knee thing which is why my low back took it yesterday! Thanks Hippie Friend!

Lifting LIghter

Hey everyone! Glad my workout schedule has inspired you!! I LOVE Cathe and in DrillMax when she says "you are going to be in the best shape", no kidding! LOL :D I think I am in the best shape of my life (at 30 years old!!) Today I did new new circuit leg workout. It was a combination of this:

step ups + 2nd set walking lunges (from butts & gutts)
Imax 3 blasts: 10, 2, 5, 3, 8, 7, 6, 5, 6, 7, 8, 3, 5, 2, 10

So, yes, I did 16 sets of step ups + walking lunges!! + 3x plie jacks
At the end, I added: 1 set Db lunge/squat combo
4 trisets of Db squat + Db deadlift + Db lump lunge
1 set Db lunge/squat combo
3 sets hamstring roll-ins

**from Butts & Gutts, but Db jump lunges from K, P, C

I HOPE my legs will be sore tomorrow...I can feel them now!!

If anyone wants any suggestions, just let me know. Take care and work hard.

Oh my gosh, Kathryn, that is insane! My friends (wife & husband where wife does Cathe and husband knows about her) like to think that I am the Dean Karanazes of Fitness DVDs, but I know I do not live up to that title. You, my friend, do. Way to go! I'm definitely taking notes here.... thanks for chiming in!!

-Beth

also, can i do the workouts with a dumbbell since i don't have the money to get a kettlebell righ now? i just ordered a couple kettlebell workouts that were mentioned in this thread so please disregard the above question

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.