TLT Equipment Question

sue320

Cathlete
Dumb it down for me...I've read the thread where various places were recommended for equipment. TLT recommends medicine ball for most (if not all, can't remember) workouts. What exactly do I need (besides those foot sliding things/paper plate? Are the "medicine balls" handballs or true medicine balls? FYI---I've ordered all of the workouts if that makes a difference in recommendations.

Much thanks in advance!

They use the SPRI soft medicine balls which you can purchase from tracielongtraining.com or from a variety of other websites including Amazon. Other companies also make the soft, squishy medicine balls. They are small in diameter so you can comfortably hold them in your hands. They suggest balls in the 3 to 6 lb range, I think.

The paper plates are used for gliding movements but I got those slick pads for moving furniture and they work extremely well.

They also require an assortment of dumbells.

If you go to tracielongtraining.com, they tell you what equipment is needed for each DVD.

Michele
:)

Thank you....and don't I feel like a moron when I went to TLT and actually scrolled down and noticed the balls that they sell. DUH!

A follow-up question for anyone that uses TLT dvds and has puzzle mats for flooring. Do the slick pads work on the puzzle mats just as well or do I need to consider something else?

I haven't used them on puzzle mats but I would think the furniture moving thingys would work--they're pretty slick.

Michele

The thought occured to me that you could maybe get a piece of carpet to use with the paper plates or furniture movers if they don't work well on the puzzle mats.

Another suggestion somebody gave was to use gliders sold by Mindy Mylrea (sp) intead of the paper plates, but I have no idea where you get those.

Michele

I got some hand-held medecine balls (the kind they use in the TLT's) from Amazon com for much less than I've seen them elsewhere. They are the Valeo balls, and come in 2# increments. The 4# balls are a pretty raspberry color!

You will also need a stability ball and light hand weights (they use 3#, 5#, 8# and 10# which is a good range).

And, for the gliding moves, it's best to have the most glide you can, rather than any resistance, because all the moves using the gliders/plates/rags are to challenge the stabilizers on the non-moving limb, and/or the core, NOT the moving limb, which should not have much resistance to it, for best results.

I have been using the furniture gliders on my puzzle mats, but they aren't glidy enough for some moves, so next time, I plan to use them on a yoga mat I have that has soft material on one side (to glide) and sticky on the other (to hug the puzzle mats).

>I got some hand-held medecine balls (the kind they use in the
>TLT's) from Amazon com for much less than I've seen them
>elsewhere. They are the Valeo balls, and come in 2#
>increments. The 4# balls are a pretty raspberry color!

After all the talk of these workouts I went ahead and ordered them.:)

Kathryn (or anyone that has the TLT's) - do you need to have two of each of these medicine balls for the workouts?

TIA

Rogue, you only need one of each med ball--and I would start with a light ball and work your way up because these workouts are deceptively hard.

HTH

Michele

just wondering if the balls are necessary or if you can sub dumbbells for them. i think my DH might go through the roof if i buy something else to lay around our living room. :)

Thanks,
Karin

Just bringing up this old thread because I need advice.

I received all four of the TLT DVD's last week and have done all of them as of yesterday.

I really like them but am having trouble with the moves using rags/paper plates. I have puzzle flooring and neither the rags nor the plates are slippery enough.

Any suggestions on if I should purchase the Mindy Mylrea discs or some of the furniture moving things would be greatly appreciated (and any sources/links for purchasing these products too!)

Thanks so much,

Lisa
:D

HI
I bought the Mindy Mylrea gliding discs for TLT's. I think you can find them at fitflixs.com or gliding.com. I have an area rug off to the side of my mats and use the discs on that. They do not work well on my puzzle mats. If you are still searching you could just search mindy mylrea and come across her website and find them. I do use them for other things. I really didn't care for her gliding workouts but she does use them in her all about abs video.
Jen

>I really like them but am having trouble with the moves using
>rags/paper plates. I have puzzle flooring and neither the
>rags nor the plates are slippery enough.
>
>Any suggestions on if I should purchase the Mindy Mylrea discs
>or some of the furniture moving things would be greatly
>appreciated (and any sources/links for purchasing these
>products too!)

Lisa, I have puzzle mats as well, and I've tried the gliding discs and the furniture moving discs on them. They work alright, but I think they still have too much resistance for these workouts. The point of the rags/plates, IMO, is not to work the moving leg, but to give the standing leg a stability challenge and movement to stabilize against. I solved the problem by rolling out an area rug whenever I need to do the gliding moves (and I use my gliding discs on it; paper plates would work as well). Do you have an area rug somewhere that you could use?

Hi Kathryn,

I don't currently have an area rug in my workout area (the basement) but could certainly borrow one from the living room or even the bathroom.

I am especially hoping I can create a surface slippery enough to properly do the mountain climber and push up moves. I think I could have had a much more fulfilling workout if I had had the right equipment to do those successfully.

Thanks again for the advice.

Lisa:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.