Thyroid and Selenium

toughYrun

Cathlete
A month or so ago I posted that after my MD noticed that my TSH level was in the high normal range he instructed me to take a daily dose of 100 mcg of selenium. I had been struggling to lose some extra weight and soon after I started taking the selenium the weight loss effort was successful.

Some of you were interested in whether or not my actual TSH level was effected by the selenium. (I got a couple of PMs, but there's no need to be offended :) ).

Today I got the results of some recent blood work and my TSH level went from 3.08 to 2.32. The followup bloodtest was done after a couple of months of consistently taking the selenium.

Disclaimer: I'm making no medical claims, just reporting my personal experience!

Hi Elaine,

I missed your initial post, but I'm glad to hear the selenium worked for you. Congrats on the lowered TSH levels and the weight loss, and thanks for sharing with us!

That's great...but I know I read somewhere that Selenium shouldn't be taken for long periods. Has you dr said anything about that?

I'm eager to hear the response to Kim's question.

Meanwhile, I started taking the Selenium too, as you mentioned it...and I have also seen 6 lbs drop from me (gained 12 since hypo diagnosis iN Sept). I told my endo about it just this past week and she said it was fine that I did that (I didn't initially tell her about it...)

Anyway, I do have to wonder how much longer I should take it? Maybe just this one bottle? She didn't say nor did I ask...Thanks,

Clarissa

I would also like to add that when I went to endo on Tues, I found out that I have developed Graves Disease along w/ my initial diagnosis of Hashimotos. I would like to know if anyone else has this rare condition which is being hypo and hyper at the same time? She said it is the worst case scenario but we would deal with it. I am scared. She also said I was at risk for rheumatoid and type 1 diabetes. I was like "with MY lifestyle, yeah right?" and she said absolutely, it had nothing to do w/ my workouts or good diet. She said not Type 2 - adult onset, but Type 1 - juvenile. She increased me to 100 mcg Synthroid now. Sigh...Thanks, Clarissa

Hi Clarissa,

I was diagnoised with Graves disease back in 1993. I was extremely hyper-thyroid for almost a year before I was diagnoised. They monitored me for about 2 years on meds, but then had to have thyroid eblation, shrinking of thyroid gland with radioiodine, b/c my gland was 4 times it's normal size. I was fine for 5/6 years, had another baby during that time and felt great. I had to have my thyroid removed in 2000. I'm fine mow just trying to manage the meds. Does the selenium really help?

Good Luck,

That's great...but I know I read somewhere that Selenium shouldn't be taken for long periods. Has you dr said anything about that?

I had extensive bloodwork done before my doctor prescribed selenium. I would not take any kind of supplement unless advised by my doctor. I have not seen anything indicating that selenium builds up and therefore should be taken only for short periods. Indeed, I have read that a selenium supplement can be helpful to some people who have thyroid issues as selenium is helpful in coverting T4 to T3. On the other hand, I have also read that too much selenium can be toxic.

Again, I am under the care of a trusted physician. When I posted about the change in my TSH level after taking a selenium supplement, I was in no way recommending that others should follow suit. I was merely answering questions that others had regarding my experience with this. I would suggest that any one contemplating taking a selenium supplement (or anything else) consult their physician.

Hi Clarissa,

I was diagnoised with Graves disease back in 1993. I was extremely hyper-thyroid for almost a year before I was diagnoised. They monitored me for about 2 years on meds, but then had to have thyroid eblation, shrinking of thyroid gland with radioiodine, b/c my gland was 4 times it's normal size. I was fine for 5/6 years, had another baby during that time and felt great. I had to have my thyroid removed in 2000. I'm fine mow just trying to manage the meds. Does the selenium really help?

Good Luck,

Glad you are okay, Carolyn! I don't know if the Selenium helps, but really, I have finally lost some weight again! She said it was fine. I am now on 100mcg of Synthroid. What are you on? I still can't understand how I am hypo and hyper though - did you have both as well?

Here is a good article by Mary Shomon on Selenium:
http://www.ithyroid.com/mary_shomon_article.htm

I take Selenium 4 days a week (I have Hashimoto's and have had my thyroid removed and have recently been hyperthyroid due to medication adjustment)

Clarissa--your antibody test came back positive for Graves as well? If not, how sid they diagnose this? Why would your doctor increase your synthroid for being HYPERthyroid (Graves)?? This makes no sense to me since it is an indication that you are overmedicated. Synthroid is treatment for HYPO, not hyper.

Going hypo--hyper is not uncommon, especially those of us who are trying to regulate medication. I've been hyper for over a month now and just starting to feel the effect--yuck! Hypo or hyper feels crappy to say the least, especially when you fluctuate!!:eek:

Clarissa,
I was taking .175mg but my doc just changed it to .150mg in Jan due to my levels being too high. My tsh levels have to be completey suppressed due to the thyroid cancer. I feel I have gained weight on the .150mg . I did not have both hypo and hyper at the same time. I was at first hyper, then after radioiodine then surgery I became hypo. Oh, the roller coaster ride I have been on!

One Brazil nut contains enough selenium to fulfill the daily RDA (in case anyone is looking for a natural source of it rather than a pill).

Sandra,

How much Selenium do you take and when do you take it in respect to your thyroid meds?

Hi Elaine,

I take 100 mcg Selenium 4 x/week at night when I'm at work (around 11pm). I take my thyroid meds (synthroid and cytomel) in the afternoon when I wake up (I work the night shift). I don't take selenium on the days that I eat more nuts and fish (usually 3 days a week). I also take vitamin D everyday (had very low levels on my blood work).

Sandra,

My Vit. D was also low on my initial diagnosis of hypothyroid. I take a prescription vit D plus what I had already been taking.

Thanks for the info on when you take your vitamins and medication. My schedule flutuates. I work days and evenings during the week. For now taking my Levox in the am before I even step foot out of bed has been working.

Clarissa,

Great job losing 6lbs. I'm having the hardest time losing the weight I gained from my thyroid not being treated.

I can't believe how hard it is. It really ticks me off. Seriously, no matter what you do, it seems, you just can't shake the weight. :(

Is it common for Vit D to be low with Thyroid disease? I just found out about my Vit D being low while having thyroid issues...overactive to underactive and now normal thyroid.

It must be normal because everyone I know gets their vitamin D level checked...I don't know where mine is yet...6 more weeks until I find out...

Is it common for Vit D to be low with Thyroid disease? I just found out about my Vit D being low while having thyroid issues...overactive to underactive and now normal thyroid.

Yes! Here's just one article I found:

Vitamin D is an important vitamin that not only regulates calcium, but also has many other beneficial actions. Not many endocrinologists realize this, but several articles published over 20 years ago showed that patients with hypothyroidism have low levels of vitamin D.

This may lead to some of the bone problems related to hypothyroidism. It was thought that one of two mechanisms may explain the low levels of vitamin D in patients with hypothyroidism, 1) the low levels of vitamin D may be due to poor absorption of vitamin D from the intestine or 2) the body may not activate vitamin D properly. Other articles have demonstrated that patients with Graves disease also have low levels of Vitamin D.

Importantly, both vitamin D and thyroid hormone bind to similar receptors called steroid hormone receptors. A different gene in the Vitamin D receptor was shown to predispose people to autoimmune thyroid disease including Graves’ disease and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. For these reasons, it is important for patients with thyroid problems to understand how the vitamin D system works.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.