THREE Runners Die In Detroit Half-Marathon

That's horrible!
I can see the 65-year-old, maybe, but the 20-something and 30-something? I wonder what the cause was?

It was really cold here yesterday-something like 30* at start time. A friend told me that a cardiologist she spoke to said your arteries can spasm during cold weather-a possible cause. I have a friend who ran the 1/2 and one who ran the full and one said she never really warmed up. So sad. And in Detroit of all places, where there's enough sadness already.

It was really cold here yesterday-something like 30* at start time. A friend told me that a cardiologist she spoke to said your arteries can spasm during cold weather-a possible cause. I have a friend who ran the 1/2 and one who ran the full and one said she never really warmed up. So sad. And in Detroit of all places, where there's enough sadness already.

But 30* really isn't very cold at all for running - I'd be incredibly surprised if that was the cause. What I found the most strange was that they all seemed to fall at approximately the same distance marker - my first thought was that something had to have happened there, but .... there were only 3 deaths, so that theory seems impossible.

I hope they determine the causes. So sad.

What I found the most strange was that they all seemed to fall at approximately the same distance marker - my first thought was that something had to have happened there, but .... there were only 3 deaths, so that theory seems impossible.
I didn't notice that.
And 1/2 marathons (and races in general) aren't usually on hilly courses, so it couldn't be because of some extra exertion.

so sad

As a runner who loves to run half marathons this completely shocked me! Wondered what their training program was? Prior health history or racing history? What did they eat and drink, or not eat and drink???
Also...FYI, the one and only full marathon I ran and a couple of the halfs have been on moderately hilly courses...
julie

I didn't notice that.
And 1/2 marathons (and races in general) aren't usually on hilly courses, so it couldn't be because of some extra exertion.

I run a number of races on hilly courses. There is a 10K in my town that has 3 or 4 hills. The last one is on mile 6.

I run a number of races on hilly courses. There is a 10K in my town that has 3 or 4 hills. The last one is on mile 6.

I guess I've been in too few races, and they've all been 5K or shorter (and I live in Illinois, so there are fewer hills). I suppose longer races-- and races that are in less-flat states!--would have a hard time avoiding hills.

So I can go back to my original hypothesis: maybe one factor (seeing as this happened at near the same location) is that it's right after a hill on the course, and all three of these people couldn't take the extra exertion (either because of some pre-existing condition, or because they pushed themselves too hard in the heat of competition).

I would love to race a flat course! I did a 15k this weekend that was all rolling hills! Next month is a 10 miler and the course description is *ends with a 3 mile ascent!!!* and I've heard the December half marathon I'm doing will make those courses seem like they were flat! :p

You can go to their website and see the course, the course is described as relatively flat except for going up and down the bridge and entering/exiting the tunnel where you cross into Canada.

One of the runners had already completed the run when he died. The oldest of the three runners fell and hit his head. He had been running for decades and had run something like 50 marathons. So I don't think it had much to do with miles 11 or 12.

But - it sounds like each of these runners has a slightly different situation and the timing was just a coincidence.

I was wondering whether there's some training/energy supplement on the market that may be fatal for some people? Of course, the man who hit his head wouldn't be part of that category, but perhaps the other two?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.