Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting

lizandhobbes

I know there's a lot out there about IF and I'm just wondering what Cathe thinks about it as a professional in the fitness industry. I have tried it and I get super hungry by 3:00 and it all falls apart. Also, now that I'm doing STS 2.0 (love it, by the way!!) I feel like I need to eat to fuel my muscles, even though I could stand to lose about 5-8 pounds. Thoughts?

My husband tried it years ago. He dropped a few pounds, but gained them when he stopped doing his intermittent fasting. He didn't eat anything after supper, until lunch the next day. He didn't really get hungry, because he had a desk job, and he didn't exercise until evening (after supper). He felt it helped with gut health (he had issues), but didn't think it worked for him for long-term weight loss. He had a schedule he followed - where he'd fast 2 days of a week and then the next week it might be 3 days or something. It was supposed to keep his body guessing. Anyways, when we changed to clean eating and a more plant-based diet, he lost a lot of weight and kept it off. Honestly, if you only have 5 - 8 pounds, I think I'd stick with exercise and go by your body measurements instead of the scale. If you don't see the results you want, maybe try a healthy 10-day detox to jump start your body. Muscle weighs more than fat, so since you're doing STS, you might be making improvements that your scale can't measure. :)

... go by your body measurements instead of the scale. If you don't see the results you want, maybe try a healthy 10-day detox to jump start your body. Muscle weighs more than fat, so since you're doing STS, you might be making improvements that your scale can't measure. :)
So true, the scale doesn't tell the full story, especially when embarking on a new weight training rotation ...

Always remember that you need to fuel your body to do your workouts and to help your muscles recover. From what I've read recently, lifting on empty is counter productive.

I've read that recently also - is more true for women then men due to a woman's body's desire to protect fat over muscle.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.