things I don't need to know

morningstar

Cathlete
A co-worker just told me that I look a lot slimmer in black. I am in all black today. So she was basically telling me that when I don't wear all black I look like Porky Pig. Great. Talk about a left-handed compliment. I was already having a bad day; now I am in a very bad mood.

morningstar...for the most part black makes everyone look slimmer, it's a fact. she may just stating the obvious, i wouldn't read too much into it. i have certain outfits and colors that are more flattering than others. it could be that your colleague was just saying you look particularly svelte and beautiful in black! it could be your color! i hope your day gets better.

thats nonsense

The myth about black making you look slimmer was created by the garment industry when colored dyes and cloth were being restricted by the war (long time ago for us) I learned about this when I was working in Hollywood. Its always better to be wearing a properly tailored piece of clothing that has some color which is good for your skin tone.

Btw. If she was just being a brat, I'm sorry. I hate peeps like that.

She said it like "a LOT slimmer", and it was really hurtful. She then proceeded to whip out a camera and take a picture, without my permission, to prove it to me.

I think you need to punch her in the face. I *hate* having my picture taken without permission!

Okay, that might being going overboard a bit, but...

I hope your day gets better!

anne

I hope your day gets better. I think you shouldnt waste more time thinking about people who say upsetting things, though I know that is hard to practise.

I'm sorry she was rude. But you know what? You probably do look slimmer because you ARE slimmer. Clothes can only make a small difference. Anytime you look a LOT slimmer it's because you've been working your a$$ off to get there, so congrats to you for that!

Amy

sorry you work with someone so unkind, if she frequently bothers you with these comments, you should say something to her. work is stressful enough.

Some people just don't think before they talk but I wouldn't make too much out of it. It sounds to me as if her comment is purely a reflection of how she views herself. Is she one of those people who always seem to be in competition with someone? I think she needs to reevaluate herself. And to take a picture, you've got to be kidding me!!

And yep, punch her (if that's a feasible option of course;)).

You see this is something I would say just to try to make conversation but not mean anything bad by it. Try not to take it personally. I'm sure you look great. I think wearing a great fitting outfit can help to make people look slim. Well, . .that and a pair of Spanx. I do agree with you about the picture thing. I hate having my pic taken with or without my permission. You never know what people will do with that photo.

You should have said, "Thanks, you look slimmer in magenta" or some other color she would never wear.

This woman sounds way too concerned with you and your appearance. Makes you wonder what she thinks of herself.

You said it, LaughingWater! Either that, or she's just one of those people who don't realize how things sound until later. I'm certainly guilty of that now and then! :eek: (Open mouth, insert foot.)

Besides, all that matters is what you think! If you're working out with Cathe and watching your food, you probably are svelt and sexy! Ignore her.

Don't let her comment ruin the rest of your day! And remember, it WILL get better (your day, that is). It always does! :)

Tricia

A co-worker just told me that I look a lot slimmer in black. I am in all black today. So she was basically telling me that when I don't wear all black I look like Porky Pig. Great. Talk about a left-handed compliment. I was already having a bad day; now I am in a very bad mood.
At first I thought perhaps you were over-reacting. She could have said you look slimmer in black without meaning you look like Porky Pig otherwise (as you put it) at all.
And she still may not have meant it, but to take a picture to prove it is .. well .. just weird.

Ignore her and move on... or punch her in the face (in your imagination), and then move on. :D

Morningstar, people don't think about how they come across when they say things like that. :( Perhaps she is jealous? I like the idea of telling her she looks slimmer in magenta. :D Just kidding, but you get the point. I would take it with a grain of salt and consider the source.

I would not put any stock into what this crazy lady has to say, taking your picture was just odd. She's jealous.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.