The question

>Wendy - Aloysius is a Suriname Boa Constrictor. He was maybe
>2 1/2 feet there. He's now closer to 6' and full grown. He's
>like a puppy dog, but I still treat him with a LOT of respect
>due to his size and of course the dogs and the piggies are not
>allowed near him.

Very cool, Liann. I would love to meet Aloysius. Think your roomie would notice if you brought him on the roadtrip? ;)

Yeah, I saw that article. Honestly,(and you might be surprised to hear this coming from me) I see no reason why Burmese, Reticulated, Rock Pythons & Anacondas should EVER be sold in pet stores or as pets by independent breeders. You have to be soooo careful taking care of those and honestly, who wants a pet that can eat them??? The people who let those snakes go are ruining it for the rest of us. States are pushing laws that restrict the ownership of "constrictors" period (which is pretty much all snakes except for poisonous ones). So because some idiot lets a Burmese python go in the Everglades, there are laws that say you can't own a 2 foot corn snake. And of course when I tell people I have Ball Pythons, they all think they saw one eating a child on some TV news article and I have to explain that BP's only get between 3 and 5 feet.

I mean come on, does this look like a killer??? ;)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/aljack_78/BPHatchlings719.07005rs.jpg

>:eek: :eek: :eek: I think I might be sick...Bill, you should have
>warned us!!I am terrified of slithering things, especially
>snakes, I cannot even write the word without wanting to
>scream.:p

Agreed. Those things creep me out. YUCK.

*♥´¨)
¸ .• ♥ ´¸.•*♥´¨) ¸.♥•*¨)
(¸.•♥´ (¸ ;.♥•Jennie•♥

Smoke free since: 2/05/08

Liann,

I'm with you on keeping the ones around that eat other snakes, or other things we want to get rid of..... the reason I didn't want to squish that snake, besides the fact that I don't want to squish anything with the car!, is that we have an awful gopher problem, so we love the gopher snakes! We saw one in our yard yesterday and today -- probably 4' -- it's obviously helped our gopher problem to some extent!

-Beth

>Okay...is that REAL?? For a second I thot it was fake...if I
>saw that I'd wait...and take lots of pics! EEK!

Reese - It's an anaconda and it could easily be a real picture. They get HUGE!

Sorry, snakies give me the heebie jeebies. I'd not run over the snakey but run as fast and as far as my legs could carry me :p Never had an issue with snakes until I found one stretched over my stomach in my bed while I spent a few months in Ko Samui, Thailand. I TOTALLY freaked out!!! Snakies, spiders and scorpions, you will only see a dust cloud, that would be me running, it just makes the hair in my neck stand up.

Living in Arizona, we have quite few rattlers, fortunately, while we live VERY close to the mountains, our house doesn't back to the mountain preserve. About two years ago, my friend's Golden Retriever was attacked by a rattler right out of the bush by her front door after we came back from a hike. Ugghhh, pretty nasty picture seeing the critter's head came out of nowhere without warning - NO rattling sound and bit the dog right in the face. It took Snickers 5 months to recover and my friend over $ 5,000 in vet bills. And me lots of margharitas that evening :7

My younger son, Tristan is fascinated with snakes, thanks Liann for sending us the pix. Now he keeps bugging me when we can visit Liann to see the snakies x( Would love to see Liann, the Wieners and other critters, but the snakies ------ uuuuuhmmm :p

Snake phoebic here :7 Black widow spider phoebic and a little lesser scorpion phoebic.

>>Okay...is that REAL?? For a second I thot it was fake...if
>I
>>saw that I'd wait...and take lots of pics! EEK!
>
>Reese - It's an anaconda and it could easily be a real
>picture. They get HUGE!

Ok, no WAY is the OP's picture an anaconda. Didn't you see the movie with J.Lo? Anaconda's are, like, waaaaaay big. And they eat people and stuff....;)

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

>My younger son, Tristan is fascinated with snakes, thanks
>Liann for sending us the pix. Now he keeps bugging me when we
>can visit Liann to see the snakies x( Would love to see
>Liann, the Wieners and other critters, but the snakies ------
>uuuuuhmmm :p
>
>Snake phoebic here :7 Black widow spider phoebic and a little
>lesser scorpion phoebic.

Carola - Tristan can hang out in the basement and see the snakes while you stick with the wienies and the piggies upstairs. ;) You'd never know we had any unless you go down to the basement/workout room. :)

> Here's one of my babies (Aloysius) doing the same
>thing:

I'm not particularly fond of snakes (though I wish them no harm, unless they are threatening my life, and I tried to save one--a garden snake with babies:-( --from some mean kids who were trying to kill it when I was a kid), but Aloysius is a beauty. His markings are so pretty (from afar!). What kind of snake is he?

As for the other 'curled-up snake' picture: I just wonder what (or whom) he's curled up around, LOL!

>I'm not particularly fond of snakes (though I wish them no
>harm, unless they are threatening my life, and I tried to save
>one--a garden snake with babies:-( --from some mean kids who
>were trying to kill it when I was a kid), but Aloysius is a
>beauty. His markings are so pretty (from afar!). What kind of
>snake is he?
>
>
>As for the other 'curled-up snake' picture: I just wonder what
>(or whom) he's curled up around, LOL!

Kathryn - Aloysius is a Suriname Boa Constrictor. His tail is blood red and his "saddles" (the dark markings) are a burgundy color. He is a true red tail boa, not the Columbian Boa Constrictors that you get in the pet store that they call "Red Tail Boas". Here's a better picture of his red tail:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/aljack_78/Aloysius.jpg

The other snake is a Pastel Ball Python about the size of a child's fist. He's balled up because he's actually afraid of me and he is protecting his head - that's how they get their name. If he gets really scared, he will stick his head down in the middle of the "ball" and hide it. They are BIG babies.

Okay, that would freak me out a bit, but I would be curious.....Now, if the pic was of a spider that size, I would be scrambling out of there...

Speaking of spiders - how many of you have heard of camel spiders? particularly freaky creatures...hubby had several run ins with these monsters while in the desert....

Liann, I don't know how you sleep in that house with that snake. I know I couldn't do it. It makes my skin crawl.

*♥´¨)
¸ .• ♥ ´¸.•*♥´¨) ¸.♥•*¨)
(¸.•♥´ (¸ ;.♥•Jennie•♥

Smoke free since: 2/05/08

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.