The Pyramids?

Loopy Lou

Cathlete
Hi there everyone,

I have a qusetion.....

I would really like to get the pyramids for my collection as they are used in several of the rotations. However, I only have 3lb, 5lb and 12lb dumbels. Usually I just use the fives for moderate and the twelves for heavy. My question is, do you think I will be able to get away with using this range of weight in the Pyramids and still get a good workout. I find that the 12lbs are challenging enough in my other leg and arm workouts as my heaviest weight. What do you think. Should I invest in some other weights? What is the weight range that Cathe uses in each of these workouts?

Thanks for your help.:)

Hi, Eva.
For each exercise in the Pyramids, you need three different weights, and those weights vary from muscle group to muscle group (heaviest for legs, chest and back, lighter for arms and shoulders). Even if you used 3 and 5 for some exercises (like arms and shoulders), going to 12 lbs on the third set is too much of a leap. You can 'make' 8# by holding a 5# and a 3# weight together for some exercises, and that would make a better sequence (3/5/8).

I'd say you at least should get a pair of 10# dumbbells (for 5/8/10-pound sequences, or 8/10/12-pound sequences). Also, maybe 15# pair for chest and back, for 10/12/15 pound sequences.

The weight range Cathe uses (which wouldn't necessarily be the range you would use) is from 3 to 20/25 pounds. If I recall correctly: tly): 10/12/15 for biceps (that one I'm sure of), 12/15/20 for chest/back (maybe 15/20/25 for some exercises? I use 25, but I can't remember off-hand if Cathe does). Shoulders are a tri set with light weights: 3/5/8. or lower body, Cathe uses a barbell. 25/30/35 or 30/35/40 (?--the 40 may be what I use, and Cathe sticks with 35#).

HTH

Hi Eva,

If you are already using these weights for your light, moderate and heavy wt. ranges, then I think you will be fine for a while. Eventually, you will need to challenge yourself with a little more weight in order to progress. Think about adding 8lb and 10lb weigts over time. Or, depending on the DBs that you own, consider buying platemates. You would be better off lifting within your range than trying to fit into Cathe's wt range.

Go for it,

jordan

You won't regret the investment in 8, 10, and 15 lb. dumbbells. You will progress faster if you use the most challenging weight you can lift with good form.

I concur - if you're starting Pyramids and currently using 3s and 5s, I would invest in a set of 8s. You will quickly progress and want to add 10s. The 12s you can have on stand by for stronger days. Then they will become your standard heavy. From there, the sky is the limit! Good luck. This is one of my favs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.