The hair dilemma

pjlippert

Cathlete
Why on Earth is it that we want what we don't have?? I have naturally very wavy/curly hair. Naturally, I prefer to wear it straight!! The straighter the better, baby!! Well, the humidity has been "high" for our area lately and my naturalness has come back. I've had compliments from EVERY person who has seen it and they ALL say- you should wear it curly all the time.:eek::cool:

I LIKE my hair curly but don't love it like I do when I blow it out. :rolleyes::p:rolleyes:

What is UP with this?!?!?!? I KNOW I'm not alone.... tell me your hair dilemma stories and let's have a good giggle about it!

Pam

You and I are hair-sisters. I can't even blow out my hair because it takes too long due to its thickness.

I spent about 5 hours and $300 a pop to get my hair chemically straightened for years until my hair cried "uncle", so, I just embraced my waves/curls about 3 years ago.

Wouldn't you know it - I've never gotten so many compliments in my life on my hair, LOL.

My poor daughter is headed the same path...I know she's going to want to straighten her waves.

It makes sense to get compliments because even though your hair has gone back to it's more natural state, it is still a new look for you as far as other people are concerned because they haven't gotten used to your more natural look. I say a compliment is a compliment, take it and enjoy it.

My hair is naturally sorta straight. It has a wave that starts half way down. I can never get it to do anything I like. Only style that worked well for me was super short and I got tired of it after about 2 years. Getting my hair permed is the only way I have found to deal with it w/o having to keep it super short or put it up in a pony tail constantly. Thank goodness I like it curly or I'd really be mad!

My gf has naturally thick curly hair. She hates it and spends tons of money and time getting it straightened.

Always want what ya haven't got!

I have naturally curly hair too and wear it long and curly. I get compliments as well.

I really don't understand why people want to straighten their pretty, curly hair! It's so feminine and beautiful!

Of course, I guess it's normal to want the opposite of what you have, but I say embrace the curls!

Wendy I have the same hair as you. It's really fine, but I have a lot of it, and I get this weird wave about halfway down my head. I can straighten it in a jiffy, but if I want it curly-forget it!! The only way that works is if I sleep with foam rollers in my hair overnight. I'm actually thinking about getting a perm once it gets longer...

Pam, have you ever read Lorraine Massey's book, Curly Girl? It completely changed my life. I LOVE my curly hair now. And I consider it my defining characteristic. Anyone who doesn't know me refers to me as "the lady with the curly hair." :)

I actually let my (former) stylist talk me into a curl reducer in 2007. It was an absolute disaster! My hair turned into a frizzy mess. I ended up cutting it all off & wearing extensions until it grew back. I even kept a record of it. If you look at the bottom pic, you can see how horrible my hair looked:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17453877/296591491

Lesson learned: I love my curly hair. I embrace it. It's part of who I am & what makes me different. And Massey's method has worked miracles for me--I highly recommend it.

Wendy I have the same hair as you. It's really fine, but I have a lot of it, and I get this weird wave about halfway down my head. I can straighten it in a jiffy, but if I want it curly-forget it!! The only way that works is if I sleep with foam rollers in my hair overnight. I'm actually thinking about getting a perm once it gets longer...

I was never successful at straightening my hair w/a blowdryer alone and did not discover the straightening iron until I got a perm. The straightening iron is not a long term solution though so I guess that's neither here nor there. I would never use it every day anyway! Yeah I think you should definitely try a perm. I got them for years when I was younger but then I stopped for a long time. Glad I've rediscovered them. :)

Hi Curly-hair sista's!!

What great stories and LauraMax OMG you and your hair are both gorgeous!! I'm getting used to the ease of letting my hair go natural and LOVING all of the compliments and attention it's bringing (especially since it's all been positive!!)! :eek::D I'll be curious to see what happens to my hair this year once the humidity goes bye-bye!

Happy Wednesday!!
Pam

My brother got the curly hair and the fabulous eyelashes. Not me, I got blah hair. It curls when asked but is dry and now turning gray. I haven't started dying it yet because I'm afraid it will fall out and its thin anyway.

I'm a curly girl too! The only time I get it straightened is when I get it cut and when I get home my dh asks me when I'm going to wash it and make it curly again! I always get tons of compliments and told how lucky I am! Embrace those curls!! Oh and here's a great website: http://naturallycurly.com.

Another curly girl here. Gotta love the ease of going natural with the waves and curls. It's so simple to wash and go--especially in the summer. I bet you look fantastic!

You and are in the same boat missy! When I let my hair "air" dry it's rather wavy...BUT NOT A CUTE WAVY!

It looks like a wavy that hasn't been brushed or properly curled, SO as you say...I "naturally" like my hair STRAIGHT!

If my hair air dried a pretty cute wavy curl...I might be inclined to leave it that way, buuuuut, unforunately, my hair doesn't dry so beautifully...lol!

I'm not really naturally curly and not really naturally straight. More like naturally frizzy! :confused: The humidity just wreaks havoc on my hair and I get to be a frizzy mess but then I get these little ringlets in the bottom layers. Very attractive - NOT! My stylist is able to make it really smooth and straight but I am never able to get the same results. I endup being straight with a little frizz :rolleyes:

Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.