the Body Bug

breila

I recently purchased a body bug, and while it helps me track calories and loose weight, I have one question. How come the amount of calories I burn doing a workout is always way off from the estimated calorie burn on the workout manager? I tend to think the body bug is not working properly. It tells me that I burn more calories on a 4 mile walking video (like 297) than I do on Imax 2 (about 150). That cannot be correct?? Any ideas or suggestions?
thanks,
Breila

I have been wearing the Bodymedia FIT for a few months now, and the counts are accurate. It's just the upgrade of the body bug. We all burn calories differently. The calorie burn posted for each exercise is just a ballpark. Even the biggest loser contestants compare what their burn was for a specific exercise, and the number is always different, sometimes by a lot. My burn on IMAX2 from last week was around 200. That seems right to me being that only half the workout is high impact and the other half a bit easier. However, doing intervals like that boosts your burn for the whole day. You will notice that the longer you wear the device. I fly through my burn goal on interval days. I love my bodymedia.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I answered this post before! I thought I was in the Open Discussion forum. I hope you find the help you need, though. Make sure your device is on snugly and in the right position on the back of your triceps with the name facing upward so you get an accurate reading every time.

Not Cathe, but I do have a little info that may be useful.

I have the bodybugg and I found it tends to favor certain exercises and certain types of movements.

Lately I have been wearing both my bodybugg and heart rate monitor.

My bodybugg shows a higher calorie burn than the heart rate monitor for things like dance workouts and aerobics workouts.

The heart rate monitor shows a higher calorie burn for interval (boot camp style) Cardio + weight workouts, and strictly sculpting workouts.

They are about the same - within maybe 10 t0 15 calories of each other -when it comes to step workouts and treadmill workouts.

I know there are times when I feel like I am working really hard but the bodybugg is barely registering anything. That is why I started wearing my heart rate monitor because it will chirp when I go into a certain zone.

When I first starting wearing both (it has only been a couple weeks of me doing this) I fully expected the heart rate monitor to consistently show more calories burned than the bodybugg and so I was really surprised to see that when I do dance workout or hi lo aerobic workouts that the bodybugg was showing a higher calorie burn by some 50 to 70 calories.

I don't know if this helps to answer your IMAX 2 question except to say that when I did IMAX2 back in November I was only using the bodybugg and it showed that I burned 487 calories.

I have an accutrainer and not a body bug. My calorie counts came in much lower than expected with the imax workouts as well. When I followed by heart rate over the imax workouts I learned why. My heart rate is only elevated for brief spikes during the workout. The more aerobically fit you become, the faster your heart recovers following the anaerobic bursts. To burn calories, I always use a steadier high paced aerobic workout or one with longer high intensity intervals. I think your body bug is accurate.

Cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.