The Biggest Loser New Season

This show sets unrealistic expectations for the world. Most people don't research just how the contestants got their results- dehydrating themselves to the point of peeing blood, stress fractures, and the eating disorders and body hatered that these people develop is extremely harmful to themselves. Now they have children involved with the show. All this show does is promote harmful dieting and exercise habits that are not realistic for long term success. They also don't talk about the research that not one, ONE diet has ever been shown to promote long term weight loss success for more than 3-5 years. Not only that but 95-97% of individuals that lose weight, most specifically more than 10% of their original weight will regain the weight at a minimum, most times, gaining more than they lost. That information is never shared with the viewing public and it's made to look like it's all about will power and dedication... not disordered eating, disordered and obsessive exercising, dangerous exercise types/ amounts, and shocking dehydration rituals.

This show is like driving by a deadly 100 car pile up slowly while taking pictures at the expensive of others grief and loss.

EDIT: NOTE---- this show also states up front on the website and contestant paper work that the show "makes no guarantee about the qualifications and certifications of it's medical staff and doctors". Sooooooooooo people are being observed by "doctors and professionals" that do not have to provide board certifications or hold relivant qualifications for any diagnosis that they make... example- they hire a lof of Chiropractors as Doctors. All things that are public information if you look for it. Hell, take a look at the contracts these people sign when they hold auditions. It's all there in black and white.

And just because someone is fat or overweight doesn't mean they need to be treated like animals. Nor should they have to repent to the Exericise and Food Gods for being a size that is deemed socially disgusting. It's motivating to who? The people that get jollies watching the fatties pay for their sins and gluttony or for the people that are mislead into thinking that they too can achieve the same results AND perhaps keep it off for more than 3 years AND do it without extensive physical and mental damage?!

Last edited:
This is totally unrelated to the show but....

mrsprincess07 congrats on the new baby! I didn't realize you had it until I read the bottom of your post! What a wonderful holiday gift!

This is totally unrelated to the show but....

mrsprincess07 congrats on the new baby! I didn't realize you had it until I read the bottom of your post! What a wonderful holiday gift!

Thank you! I prayed for a very long time to have her and at the beginning of 2012, I said that all I wanted for Christmas was a beautiful baby girl and I got it. She's amazing and the joy she has brought into our lives is priceless. She however at this very young age is fighting nap time.... she's giving me the evil eye as I type :D

JT - do you have Bob Harper's Yoga Warrier workout? I laugh every time I do the workout because in one shot he is helping a girl with her pose and she looks like she is melting. I'm pretty sure I'd have the same look on my face if he were "helping" me :p.

Lisa

Lisa, no I don't. I would melt too.
NY25, yes, me too and nothing to do with working out.

Honestly, Dolvett and Bob would be too distracting. Jillian would be yelling at me to pay attention. Those two men are fine.
I totally agree. I love Dolvett. He is adorable. I wouldn't get anything done with him around.

I read an interview in a magazine and Jillian said that she can't work with these morbidly obese people like she would one of us. She said she could tell one of her fit clients to go warm up on the treadmill for five minutes and they would get on the treadmill with no argument. The contestants on the show don't have the same drive to be fit like we do. They have been couch potatoes for so long that any physical activity is overwhelming. What she said made sense to me. They can't be babyed.

About another post on this thread about the past contestants, Patrick House (originally from Brandon, MS where I live) won a couple of seasons ago. He has kept the weight off and in fact has lost more weight. He was speaking to the students at Warren Central High School with our Governor on the show. He looks fantastic. Some of the previous contestants have gained their weight back. I guess it all boils down to willpower and sheer determination. You have to want to change and have the support system at home to continue the journey.

A few seasons ago when half the contestants were from MI, the father-son started a fitness camp although the son attended MSU.
I did see that guy on tv on the show.

I also love this show (and need Kleenex, too, Tash!) - it's so inspirational and motivating!

I love that they brought a few Kids this year on to the show to battle childhood obesity. The First Lady Michelle Obama started working on this campaign and I think the Biggest Loser show will help a lot!

I just had a thought... if your kids were caught smoking, drinking, and doing drugs they would be told how BAD it is for their health. It's about time they are being told how bad obesity is for their health!

I was told how bad it was for my health.

They told me to eat low fat: that gave me PCOS and brittle bones (thanks lipid deficiencies!)

They told me to eat low calorie: that lowered my metabolism and gave me cold hands/feet.

Doctors are not always right about what they tell you to do. No one ever mentioned that heart attacks were caused by infections. They always blamed the patient. Thats like blaming a syphilic for catching syphilis.

I don't know of any kid that 'gets away' with obesity. All of us have been bullied. The question is: does bullying kids help? All it did was raise my cortisol levels and confirm that I wasn't safe. No one addresses the fact that these kids are being taught that they aren't safe. They aren't safe at school, they aren't safe at home, they aren't safe anywhere. I used my fat to protect myself from unwanted sexual advances from the age of 9. I had years of sexual harrassement. There was no way that I was going to run the risk of being attractive. Unless someone treats those aspects of childhood, the obesity is unlikely to go away. When I was 19 years old, and I had finally started to lose weight, on the very day I could fit into a size 14, I acquired (no kidding) within a 24 hour period, 3 stalkers. Yippee. <sarcasm>

Sorry for the rant. This stuff chaps my hide. I'm not mad at the Op. btw.

Wow, I must say this was a fascinating thread to read with good points all around.

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

Tash, thank you; I was prepared to get bashed! LOL!

Oh... :( i hope u didnt feel bashed. I guess i would feel that way, too.

But i myself didnt mean to bash u personaly if you felt like that. Im sure noone else meant to either!
Like i said u have great points and so did others. But we have diff taste, and you already know that but just wanted to let u know, and hope theres no hard feelings. Hugs to you!

Oh... :( i hope u didnt feel bashed. I guess i would feel that way, too.

But i myself didnt mean to bash u personaly if you felt like that. Im sure noone else meant to either!
Like i said u have great points and so did others. But we have diff taste, and you already know that but just wanted to let u know, and hope theres no hard feelings. Hugs to you!

aw, Renee! No, I don't feel bashed - I was just preparing for it :)
Everyone's so passionate:D

It's great we can an important discussion here with different point of views and remain peaceful in the CatheNation.
Thank You.

I don't think the show degrades anyone at all;

I REALLY dislike that they make the women weigh in wearing sports bras and the men get to wear tshirts. As the season progresses, the women get fitted tanks to wear and then the men take their shirts off for the weigh-in.

I've never been a big fan of Jillian's but even less so this season. Her m.o. of screaming at the contestants drives me up a wall.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.