The best darned....? anywhere!

morningstar

Cathlete
So, I kinda got me an idear. Since there are people on this forum from all over the world, and many of us travel to other cities, wouldn't it be great if we could tell each other about the stores, restaurants, etc. that only local people would know about? Not the Gaps or tourist traps of the world, but the truly cool local businesses that help make your city unique.

I'll start us off, with Toronto (Ontario, Canada)

• Buddha's (Chinese Vegetarian restaurant, Dundas and Bathurst, best friggin' spring rolls on the planet!)
  • Menagerie Pet Store (on Parliament, north of Carlton - insanely cool animals and the staff really know their sh...tuff.)
  • Honest Ed's (Bathurst and Bloor, hard to describe; has to be experienced to be believed. Best on an empty stomach with lots of time and patience)
  • Fresh (Vegetarian restaurant, three locations- Spadina + Richmond; Queen West + Crawford; Bloor + Spadina- every carnivore I've ever taken there has swooned. The hot sauce is incredible- especially on the Powerhouse Rice Bowl)
  • MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op, King West and Peter. They have other locations across Canada as well. Outdoor sports store, can spend large amounts of money there in very little time)
  • High Park (High Park Subway station; beautiful humungous park with a huge pond, petting zoo, allotment gardens, trails, wildlife.)

As I think of more I will post them. So, whatja got in your burg?

Last edited:
In N' Out Burger!
- Best burgers, fries, and shakes! They have a "secret" menu that you'll never see, but only hear about from other people.
- They're in California, Las Vegas, and I think Southern Utah!
- People will come from like, New Mexico, Wisconsin, everywhere just to go there, and you know it because they're wearing their In N' Out shirts haha :)

Grand Rapids MI.
Yesterdog, Eastown, now made famous by The Bachelor, best dogs in town.
Rose's on Reed's Lake, East Grand Rapids, the best place for brunch or a drink on the deck.
The Black Rose Tavern, Downtown Grand Rapids, very good Irish Pub.
Rockford MI. The Corner Bar.
Kalamazoo/Portage. The West Lake Drive In. Best place for homemade burgers and Fries, everything is bought or grown locally plus you eat in your car looking at West Lake.

Fun thread, morningstar!!

I'll give a few opinions for Vermont in general:

Restaurants

Beer & Cheese - Vermont has some fan-frickin'-tastic beer and cheese producers. We actually have the most breweries per capita in the U.S....and I'm okay with that. :)

• Otter Creek/Wolaver's, Magic Hat, Long Trail, and Trout River breweries all rock. I'd be hard pressed to pick a fave...try them all.
  • Blue Ledge Farm Goat Cheese - DH and I easily go through a 1/2 pound of their Camembrie a week. http://www.blueledgefarm.com/
  • Vermont Ayr Cheese - Awesome cheese from Ayrshire cow's milk. http://www.crawfordfamilyfarm.com/

East Coast Skiing - Though the season is over in most places, I'll post about what I know.

• Mad River Glen - Old school, no/limited grooming, single chair lift, open woods. http://www.madriverglen.com/
  • Jay Peak - Still open! Awesome, awesome glades and afforable...definitely worth the drive...hit The Belfry afterward for dinner and beers (Trout River is usually on draught). http://www.jaypeakresort.com/

Oh Lori-you made me homesick. I use to go to both of those pizza places all the time. We still go to Malnati's when we come back home to visit.

Joanne

I'm from Des Moines Iowa but once or twice a year we hop over to Rochelle Il-DH is a rail fan and they have a train park where you can sit and watch trains come through all day long-anyway I am NOT a rail fan but I go along for the food-my favorite place is ALDO's. Great italian food/pizza.

In West Des Moines-
Pet Store- Iowa Pet Foods/Seascapes-they carrie all kinds of Holistic brand pet foods such as Canidae, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold Bison-etc. (I'm in the process of switching my pets from Science Diet to Chicken Soup.)

In AMES IOWA try Hickory Park restaurant-excellent barbique and ice cream parlar. 100's of ice cream concoctions-my fave the Almond Joy.

Two of my favorite restaurants in NYC: Le Boeuf a la Mode--upper east side. Family-owned French restaurant.

Molyvos--Greek.

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA:

Restaurants: Mama Mia's Italian in Felton and Crazy Horse Bistro & Bar, Boulder Creek

Hiking: Big Basin Redwoods State Park

Ice Cream: Double Rainbow, Boulder Creek

Coffee: Mountain Roasting Company, Felton

Health Food/Organic Produce: New Leaf Markets, Felton and Boulder Creek

Winery: Hallcrest Vineyards, Felton

Dive Bar: Trout Farm Inn, Lompico

cape cod massachusetts

This is a great idea. I'm sick of going to sub-par restaurants on vacation just because the menu looks good. I live in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Obviously a resort area so there are a thousand restaurants only a handful are worth going to. I work in restaurants ,so I love to go out to eat on my time off. A few favorites. My old job, The Impudent Oyster in Chatham ,the decor is throw back 70's,but the food is outrageously good (lil pricey) another ex-job The Red Pheasant Inn, Dennis,ma. Couple of hundred year old barn with delicious food. There alot I could write about,if any one is comung to The Cape just let me know and I'll be happy to give more details.

City of Chicago:

1. Hot Dougs! "The encased meat emporium". :) This guy is a goumet chef who makes that most fantastic creations out of different sausages. Of course you can get the normal Chicago-style dog, but there is so much more on special. The wild boar sausage is a personal favorite! It's off the "tourist" path, so if you're interested in visiting, let me know!

2. Smoque. Best BBQ anything ever. Evens beats BBQ from the south - verified by many southern friends! Unfortuantely, this was featured on the Food Network a year ago or so, and now it's flooded with tourists. But there are tricks to getting in and beating the crowds.

3. For the best city view - skip the Sears Tower or Hancock. Lakepoint Towers (where Oprah used to live) has a restaurant at the top called Cite, and has the best view of the city you can get.

4. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba for Spanish tapas. I've brought many a skeptic, even conservative food folks, and everyone walks away faving. There's one in Vegas, too.

5. For pizza, I have to say I'm not much of a Chicago style fan (I think that's a crime living in the city), but when I do have it, I prefer Gino's East.

Mexico City

We had In-N-Out Burger in AZ, and Whataburger as well. Both have strange fan followings, for fast food chains.

MEXICO CITY

1. There's no war here, I swear. We're the most populated city in the world, but our murder rate is 1/3 of Chicago's. As in any big city, take care not to get pickpocketed and not to trust strangers, but besides that, it's impressively safe for the size. (Do take care in towns near the US border though - lots of problems but 700 miles from MC)

2. The Ciudadela - we have a huge semi-indoor craft market. You can buy handmade anything from anywhere in Mexico. A bit more expensive than buying from the original towns, but a whole lot more convenient. Gift central.

3. Street tacos - You're missing the Mexican experience by not getting some street tacos. If there is a crowd eating there, it's safe. I make every guest eat street tacos, not a single one has ever become ill. I also love the fruit carts - choose three fresh fruits, granola and honey in a big plastic cup for $1.50. Delicious!

4. Argentine steak - we have tons of Argentinians and they run tons of steakhouses. And have good wine!

5. Sala platino - ok, going to the movies when you're visiting a foreign country sounds weird. But some of our Cinemex movie theatres have a platinum room, where you pay double (still only $8-9) but get full length leather recliners, blankets and they will bring in food that you ordered on the way in.

That's a few cute tips, but this city is huge and I could go on forever. If any of you come to visit, you'd better tell me first!

Rochester NY here.

Wegmans- we have the corporate hq's here. The flagship store is less than a mile away. For a grocery store it is truly an experience. My friends from out of town marvel at the produce section. It really is beautiful. Oh, and I was there for Sushi today that was out of this world.

Grinells and Bistro 145- Both really great fine dining experiences. Locally owned and great food. Pricey, but worth it. Bistro 145 has a very cool outside courtyard to enjoy during the summer.

The Finger Lakes are less than an hour away. A wine tour during the fall presents the most stunning foliage and awesome lake views (and the wine ain't bad either ;))

Great golf. Courses are numerous and reasonable. Pretty good for a place covered in snow most of the year.:eek:

in houston tx

Old Town Springs-many many many gift shops,restaurants,candy,ice cream. nice place for window shopping
renesance festival

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.