Tendonitis in Shoulder

sharid

Cathlete
Hi, I am usually a lurker, but have a questions about shoulder pain. I have had tendonitis before and have just worked through the pain, modifying exercises when necessary and it eventually went away, but this time it seems worse with a sharper pain than anything I have had in the past. I am wondering if it is better to contunue to work my shoulder with lighter weights and stretch it some, or to do absolutely nothing while it heals? I really want to start STS on February 8th, but don't want to make my shoulder worse and set myself back even further.....

just my opinion but since you asked :) you should probably see a doctor if you can... if it seems worse than previous experiences then there may be something more causing the pain... It's important to get the facts from a professional and not make anything worse by working through the pain and pressing ahead with STS, since it seems to be reoccuring and getting worse in the intensity... even if it means waiting a bit longer to start STS! it won't do any good if you get half way through and end up doing more harm than good.

I have had some elbow pain that I tried to work through a while ago, but now sidelined for the past few weeks with some knee issues, and not doing anything but treadmill and walking, it has given my elbows a chance to heal... I feel that now I can start STS upper body and not worry... now the lower body is another issue and I will have to modify, modify, modify...

good luck and be safe above all else! :)

Get thee to a doctor! I started with tendonitis, but it got so bad - the tendon got so enflamed, that it pushed the bone up where the clavicle meets the shoulder and I got a 20% tear. I also had bone spurs. I ended up with 8 weeks PT, with no luck, then surgery in October and 8 more weeks of PT - during most of this time I couldn't do any upper body, or at times, limited upper body, workouts. Take my advice and go see a good orthopedist who specializes in shoulders....I am ready now to start STS with some slight modifications for shoulders (oh, and chest too - those darn pushups - I'm not supposed to do full pushups on toes for another 2 months, so will be on knees, at incline, or on wall)

Let us know how you make out with your shoulder!

That is so not what I wanted to hear! But I am sure you are both right. I should probably see a doctor. I used to do child care, and would get tendonitis in my wrist, elbow or shoulder occasionally due to carrying heavy babies a lot, but if I just backed off and was careful of my arm position when holding them for a while, it would improve. I have been careful with my shoulder for over a month now, and it does seem better at times, but still hurts. My STS will be here tomorrow and it is killing me not to be able to start right a way! Thanks for the advice!

I had tendonitis in my ankle a couple of years ago. I went to see my doctor and she sent me physical therapy. It worked wonders!!!!!!!! After a couple of months it was healed.

I'm trying to make a decision on WHEN to have the surgery on my shoulder. I have severe calcified tendonitis in my left shoulder, and mild tendonitis in the right one. Every time I move, shift my position during the night, I wake up, crying out in pain. It's been impossible to get any restorative sleep. I take care of two of my grandbabies, and that is the suspected cause (I'm right handed so carry the babies in my left arm). That, and the new form of exercise I fell in love with (kettlebells). I did too many snatches too soon, my shoulder wasn't ready for them. I can still do kettlebells, but am not allowed any movements above shoulder height.

I have been in physical therapy since November. I have regained some range of motion, but the pain is still bad. I am now faced with the possibility of having my bicep tendon detached and reattached at a new insertion point. That will require at three to six months of rehab, during which I will not be allowed to lift ANYTHING.

Take care of your shoulder BEFORE it gets this bad. See a doctor, get those x-rays/MRIs and find out what's going on in there.

Be Well!
Carol

Carol, I can relate...I did daycare for many years and had stressed joints from time to time from the way I would hold children, and also fell in love with Kettlebells, which I have had to give up lately. I recently went back to work in an office, and I am starting to think now that that is the cause. Who would have thought that sitting at a desk could cause shoulder problems??? I noticed the other day that as I was working the fronts of my shoulders were burning. I had raised my chair a couple of months ago (before the problems started), so I lowered it yesterday, and today actually seemed to feel a little better (a lot less burning sensation in my shoulders). I hope that is what was causing the problem, because I had stopped working my upper body several weeks ago and still seemed to get worse. I am going to give it a few more days, and if I don't start to feel better, or if it gets any worse, I plan of seeing a doctor. I hope your surgery goes well, and you recover quickly. There are so many things that you can't do when your shoulders hurt!!! Shari

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.