teachers and others who work with the public: what do you do to stay healthy?

2tina72382

Cathlete
Help! I am a new teacher and always getting colds. I try to work out 4-5 days a week and eat mostly healthfully, and wash my hands alot. Anything else I can do to help keep me healthy?

THanks all! _tina

tina,

good luck in your first year of teaching. we all continually get sick from the children. i get the usual fall bronchitis when the weather changes and they start to get sick.

try to keep windows open for fresh air. keep your hands away from your face and off doorknobs if you can. especially bathroom doorknobs.

other than that, i take vitamins, including b and zinc. you eventually build up immunity to some of it, but the truth is, there are always new strains out there. we had 18 teachers out this past monday.

suri

wow, suri! thats alot of teachers for one day. I have already taken 4 sick days this year. eeek

but, they do give 1st year teachers more sick time, so Iguess they know its bound to happen.

Thanks for the feedback!

Laura, you take it everyday? I guess it would be ok, I think your body jsut gets rid of whatever it doesnt need, as far as the vit c goes. I'll try that :) Thanks!

I have made a concious effort not to put my hands near my face while at work. I try not to have my hand on my cheek or finger on my lips, nails in my mouth, etc..
Calee

RE: teachers and others who work with the public: what ...

Tina,
I was sick A LOT my first year or two of teaching...it really is hard to keep the germs at bay in this line of work!

A couple of things I do:
-keep anti-bacterial gels in my classroom for use by all
-avoid rubbing my eyes, etc.
-and a new strategy this year... as soon as I start to feel even the slightest twinge of a sniffle, I start taking Airborne + zinc + a multivitamin. And if need be, I also add in OJ and chicken soup.

So far, it's worked. The past two years have been my healthiest to date. (It's my 6th year of teaching.)

Good luck!
Cathy :)

Hi Cathy! Thanks for the feedback. I take airborne occasionally, but I'm afraid of taking it too much, because it seems almost every week I get the sniffles!! lol
I wonder how "ok" it is to take that often. I know it has echinacea and zinc in it, and I have heard that its not ok to take it all the time. What have you heard about that?

Thanks a bunch!

To tell you the truth, I have not heard that. It sounds worth looking into, though. Let's see, the last time I felt the sniffles (besides now!) was at the end of September, I believe, when some wicked bugs were passing through my school. So I would think once every 3-4 months isn't overdoing it. But I'm gonna check into this. Thanks for the heads up.

Echinacea is not effective taken daily. My neighbor is an naturapath and prescibes echinacea in very high doses for 2 or 3 days. You take a dose every 2 hours for the first day and taper off the next 2 days. The same is for vitamin C. When you feel sick you take three doses of 3,000 mg of vitamin C every 2 hours and follow up with 1000 mg. until you feel better. You will know when you body has had enough when your bowels become runny. That is the sign. It sounds absurd and every time I tell my husband to do it he just rolls his eye and tells me I'm a little off balance. When it comes out in the Wall Street Journal maybe he'll believe. I've tried it and it really makes a difference. It is not dangerous as C is a water soluable vitamin. The ester-C with flavanoids is the best. The most effective way to attack a virus is to blast it out of the water with high doses. It is certainly unconventional and many may shudder, but if you think about it, it does make sense because something in your body is depleted and needs to be filled.

Cheryl

Get a flu vaccine and keep hand sanitizer by the kleenex. Use it:D and have your kids use it too. Also, I have found that at the first sign of a cold use those zinc lozenges. HTH

My first two years of teaching I had continuous strep infections until my doctor got sick of it and had my tonsils taken out.

I haven't had a serious infection since then.

The cool thing is once your immunity is built up, you are practically iron clad and will be amazed when you are still standing and your whole family is keeling over with the latest bug that's "going around"!

Susan L.G.

P.S. And washing your hands constantly won't hurt either! Keep lotion nearby so your skin doesn't become chapped.

My sister is a computer room teacher---ugh.

Imagine when a child needs help and you have to touch the keyboard all day. She was sick her entire first year (she teaches step aerobics and fusion classes at night). Her Dr. said airborne is mostly vitamin C (1,000mg and 1,670%DV*) and if you take Vitamin C don't do Airborne. Her Dr. said not to touch her face when working. Wash between classes and to keep fluid levels up.

She has no kids and was sick her ENTIRE first year of teaching. She thought teaching aerobics (physical fitnesss) would help her. But I hate to say-it was nine months of sniffles. Second year however-she was fine. Rarely sick very happy in her job.;)

Tina,
I looked into the Airborne issue...it is meant to be taken for a short duration of time, and you shouldn't take more than 3 per day. You also shouldn't take it with a multivitamin...HTH.

Cathy :)

Yes, to what everyone else has said. I teach a kindergarten behavior class and my first couple of years were rough b/c as a new teacher I needed additional certifications to do my job so I was a brand new teacher in an emotionally and pysically draining job, going to night classes, and keeping up with the disctrict professional development classes. I was not getting enough sleep and my immune system was worn out. I got strep throat twice one year. Anyway, I hardly ever get sick now and not ever sick enough to miss school. Part of it is learning to take care of yourself and your immune system getting built up over time. The last few years a strep throat and stomach flu outbreak in kindergarten did not touch me! I guess I need to go knock on some wood now!!! Hang in there!
Angela:7

wow! thanks everyone for the information. I am going to keep taking my vitamins and vit c when needed. The hand sanitizer is a good idea, my students (16 year olds) will think I'm crazy for making them use it, but its a good idea.

Thanks all, I'll keep ya updated on my sniffle status :)

Definitely stock up on alcohol-based hand sanitizer (the alcohol-based ones don't risk creating resistant bacteria the way the Triclosan ones do): keep a small one in your pocket or purse, one on your desk. And after you've used the rest room and washed your hands there, go back to your room or whereever and use the sanitizer (I'm amazed at how many college students don't wash their hands after using the 'facilities,' so my washing my hands, then touching the doorknob they just touched, doesn't do the trick).

Drink plently of fluids (which keep the mucus membranes moist so they can do their job better) and use a humidifier to keep the air humidity good, especially at night while you sleep.

I felt a bit 'fluey' several weeks ago, and started taking a morning smoothie with açai and a whole foods vitamin C powder made from dried acerola cherries (vitamin C works best in concert with the synergistic elements it comes with in nature, like bioflavnoids, as those found in real fruits). It nipped that bug in the bud.

Other immune system boosters: garlic and onions, echinacea (shouldn't be taken for long periods), astragalus (has no known adverse effects, so can be taken daily--several immune support herbal formulas contain it. Astragalus is probably the best of the bunch to use continuously.

as crazy as it seems, we take the paper towels we use to wipe our hands and use them to open the doorknobs in the bathroom and our classrooms. it helps, but the sanitizer is definitely a must.

my kids cough, blow their noses, and then leave the room after therapy. guess what is on the doorknob? due to my 30 minute sessions, i cant have them running out to wash their hands all the time. baby wipes and sanitizer helps them as well. just something we all have to deal with when working in a school setting.

suri

Get a job in the Emergency Room.

You'll be sick for one month straight, but after that....you are golden!!!! Immune system of a hummingbird!;-)

My son is in his first year of school. We have had the sniffles since Oct!!! Right now, my kids are getting over a fever and a horrible cough. There germs have been in my house for a week now and I still don't have it (excuse me, I am frantically looking for some wood to knock on!). I always take garlic tabs. When the kids get sick, I take garlic 3x's a day. When they are not sick, I just take 2 once a day. I really should be sick right now...my kids think I am a human kleenex!!! I think the garlic helps!

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.