teacher gift ideas(OT)

wendypa

Cathlete
Any teachers here?? I'm trying to get my christmas shopping done, and am always stuck on what to give teachers.
I don't want to do candles, lotions, picture frames, mugs or candy as i have heard these things are way overdone.
Any ideas?? also, a very special piano teacher on my list.

thanks in advance!

WEndy

I'm with you on the lotions (who knows what scents people like?) and candy (who needs more junk food?).

How about a gift certificate? Some malls sell gift certificates that can be used in any store.
Something personalized would be nice as well, but I can't think of what!

By the way: nothing is "off topic" in the open forum!

As a teacher, I love those gift certificates! A great gift I got last year was a set of brightly coloured notepads with my name on it. I use them constantly!

Another idea is a collection of specialty teas or coffee that a teacher can store at school for breaks and lunch.

The best gift I received was a poem written by parents about their child's experiences at school and the guidance their teachers gave them. There were funny anecdotes in there too, and I've kept the poem ever since.

Good luck! :7

I'd like to receive books for my classroom library. Every year, I spend a hundred dollars or more buying books for my classroom (in addition to the ones I buy at rummage sales), and so many of them "walk off" each year, despite my best efforts. I'd love to receive books or a gift certificate to a bookstore so I could buy more of the "latest" books kids are really interested in.

Shari

Christmas ornaments, movie passes, gift certificates. I like to give Christmas ornaments that somehow reflect the personality of the person I'm giving it to.

I do like the idea of a gift certificate to a book store. Actually, I like that idea for myself. If anyone is interested in sending me one, let me know and I'll email you my address. ha ha

Do you know anyone who bead? I saw a swarovski crystal bracelet that had TLC (teaching, loving, caring) done in red and black with an apple charm attached.

Can't go wrong with a Barnes and Noble gift certificate either.
Dawn

I have this one down. For Christmas/winter holiday gifts, I give a bucket of microwave popcorn (looks likes a movie theater bucket, but microwave -- I find mine at Blockbuster), a big box of movie type candy, and a gift card for video rentals that will get about 3 rentals. You can pack the candy and gift card in the bucket and wrap it all with colored cellophane. My end of year gift is a gift card to a bookstore along with a nice note about the things I appreciated about the teacher through the year. The boys' teachers seem to enjoy them all.

Another teacher here, seconding and thirding gift certificates!

As a music teacher, I use the Borders gift certificates to buy CDs and books for my classroom. That way, all the children can benefit from the generosity of the parents.

You're so right - NO to mugs, jewelry (I'm very picky), food (esp. chocolate), knickknacks, and anything that says "teachers have class" or "I touch the future - I teach" (which always sounded slightly perverted to me).

As a piano player, I would love a gift certificate to any online sheet music website, or something like that. I could add to my own personal library of sheet music. Or again, a Borders-type of gift certificate.

Best!

Susan L.G.

Oh! Edited to add - yes! A note from a parent telling a teacher how much he/she is appreciated is PERFECT. On the occasion I would receive one, I would copy it, keep the original, and have the secretary put the copy in my school personnel folder and my folder in the Human Resources office. Better than any gift certificate is a heartfelt compliment to your child's favorite teacher!

"I touch the future - I teach" (which
>always sounded slightly perverted to me).
>

I think it should be changed to "I touch my students...I teach" (but only the handsome ones;-)

Years ago, I went to a training seminar for using dial-in registration. After we met with our advisees, we had to call in and "turn on" their student number so they could register. The presenter kept talking about "turning on" students. Hmmmm...I'd like to think I do, at least intellectually! (but see above for a disclaimer!). Now, they call it "flagging" (which sounds like it could be nasty in British English.

As a teacher who had a "teacher" Christmas tree for many years, I'd nix the ornament idea, candy too. Appreciative thoughts are the best. My favorites to receive are gift certificates to Blockbuster, Borders, or a local bookstore. My all time fav is flowers because I'm a gardening fool.:) Alexis

Many thanks to all of you who responded! I think i'll go with gift certificates either to movie theatre or to the movie rental warehouse here. We don't have a Borders local so i'm not sure that would work.
I really like the personalized notepads too. I have a catalog from Creative images here and they have the cutest ones in there.
Maybe both gifts?

Thanks again! You've made my shopping easier! (now to start a thread on what to get the INLAWS who have EVERYTHING!)
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.