Tattoo Removal

NY25

Cathlete
Anyone ever had a tattoo removed? What was your experience? Did you go to an aesthetician or an MD?

I've never had it done, but my cosmetic derm's office does it. They say it's the most common procedure they do in their office.

cool - I've decided I just really hate the tattoo I got last summer and need to have the part I don't like removed so it can be replaced with something I do like. Holy crap is expensive though. ugh

Do you have a tattoo artist picked out for the new part of the tattoo? I would talk to one of them first, because a lot of times you can have it zapped just once or twice - enough to lighten it a bit, then the artist can cover it up. I've seen some amazing coverups done, and they didn't have the old tattoo entirely removed. I'm pretty sure the dermatologists recommend quite a few treatments, but that's if you want it removed entirely.

Hi, Trixie - yes, that was the first thing I did actually. I found someone who's work I love (wish she had done the original!). She's also had lasering done herself, so I've got a lot of research under my belt. The derm/surgeon says he can get the thing totally out, it's just a matter of how many sessions it will take (man is it expensive!). I'm told it won't hurt, because they'll numb the area first. It will be a little tender the first time I do it, but shouldn't be a big deal after that (according to the artist and the surgeon). I wish I could just learn to live with the damn tattoo - everyone else claims to like it, but I just really dislike it - alot.

I remember your threads from a while back about the tattoo. Hope you find a way to get it corrected that doesn't break the bank.I agree with Trixie: can you find some way to have a minimal amount of it lazered off and have the new artist rework what's left?

Thanks, Kathryn!! Yup, that's an option. Once I get going and see how it reacts, I could stop after it's faded "enough" and then work with that. I've seen the new artist's work however, and love it so much and can totally see where this tattoo should have gone, so I'm leaning toward getting a "clean slate." We'll see how things go once I start. The upside, is each treatment is 6 week apart, so I get the advantage of "paying it off" over time. By the time I'm done, it will probably cost in the vacinity of $2500!!!! ouch!!!! (I wish I didn't dislike the thing so much, but......)

Wow, thanks Cathe!! Funny thing, it's on my lower back and I actually catch myself thinking about how this is going to effect doing core work!! haha

NY25, You mentioned that the tattoo is on your lower back. Be sure that you are not planning on giving birth in the next 2 years before getting new tattoo work on your lower back. The tattoo artists never seem to mention to their clients that you can't get an epidural through a "fresh" tattoo!

haha! good to know - although I can say with virtual certainty I'm not having any children in the next two years (or any years) My shelf-life has just about expired!

That epidural information is a myth. Yes, the tattoo must be healed, but that takes 8-12 weeks, and you can't get a tattoo while pregnant, so the whole point is moot.

That epidural information is a myth. Yes, the tattoo must be healed, but that takes 8-12 weeks, and you can't get a tattoo while pregnant, so the whole point is moot.

Absolutely NOT a myth. Just because the tattoo "heals" from the patient's standpoint does not make it safe to do an epidural. The ink does not "set" permanantly for a very long time and can theoretically be tracked into the epidural or dural space by the epidural (or spinal) needle. These microscopic foreign particles can cause a chemical meningitis, which is extremely dangerous and possibly even deadly.

The amount of time that must pass before an epidural or spinal block can be done safely through a tattoo is unknown (as no one is really willing to do a study on this, for obvious reasons!), and so the decision is really left up to the judgement of the individual anesthesiologist. There is no firmly established guidelines yet amongst the anesthesia community.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back