Sweating right away...hmmmmm

MRSchultz

Cathlete
Hi all:

I know that this has been brought up before, but I just finished a great workout and noticed that I started sweating (A LOT) after about 5 minutes. Does this mean something? I usually sweat a lot, but not so much so soon. :)

I'm just curious.

;-) Marcia

Hey Marcia! Well, I'm one of those lucky girls who sweat, and I mean, A LOT. Sometimes I also sweat right off the bat and it's usually because the room is a little hotter than normal or maybe you didn't let your food digest long enough. Sometimes when I only let food digest for 45 mintues I sweat sooner, I'm not sure if it's a relation, but it happens nearly everytime! Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Lanie

Another big time sweat'er here, I usually break a sweat during the warmup of a cardio workout. Last week a member at the gym said to me 'you are so fit, the sweat was just pouring off of you during kickbacks, fit people sweat more'. I didn't debate it with her but frankly didn't see the co-relation. I know many women at the gym who work hard and are very fit who don't sweat much at all. One very fit member said to me that she envied the fact that I sweat so much as she gets so hot when she works out and feels all prickly under her skin, she said that sweating would feel like a huge relief. When I teach at lunchtime I marvel at the women who can come in and work hard, towel off, dust themselves with a little talcum and be on there merry way, I could never do that.

Relative humidity makes a huge difference in how quickly I sweat when I workout in a non air conditioned room. I wonder if there is a relation between sweat onset and salt/fluid intake....I too would love to hear some other theories:)

Take Care
Laurie

I once read an article that the more fit you are, the quicker you sweat. I have NO recollections of "why" that happens though!!! Perhaps one of the medical professionals here can help us out. ;)

Christine

At the beginning of losing weight and getting in shape I took a body sculpting class at the gym and barely broke a sweat...I remember this b/c I could take it at lunch and not even need a shower. I stopped going after I found Cathe. Then like a year later, a much thinner and fitter me went back just for fun and variety and I sweated like a man and right away. This made no sense to me because I always though "fat people sweat more".

So I asked a fitness professional about this and she told me that once you become very fit your body gets really efficient at cooling itself and turns the sweat knob on full blast at the first sign of using your big muscle groups. :)

So congratulations you are very fit! :7

>I once read an article that the more fit you are, the quicker
>you sweat. I have NO recollections of "why" that happens
>though!!! Perhaps one of the medical professionals here can
>help us out. ;)
>
>Christine

Not a medical professional here, but I thought it was because your body and brain get used to the fact you are going to exercise, and prepare early.

Hey Marcia,
I was about to post a similar thred because I am sweating buckets- even just doing normal day to day activities. With the responses here, I am glad to now realize that I am fit.

I tell you, I was a bit concerned about it because I was really wetting up the place. If I go into a room from outside people ask me if it is raining. Totally pathetic.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.