Suggestions?

NaturalBeauty

Cathlete
Looking to purchase my first digital camera (yeah I know I'm behind the times) and I dont know where to start. Canon? Kodak? Nikon? Any suggestions? I'm not look for a DSLR...point and shoot will work for now. I'm interested in digital photography and just want something I can play around with. Thanks

Tassha

I've had great luck with Fuji Finepix. My most recent one is the S800 (it shoots movies as well), but my much cheaper one bought over 8 years ago still works perfectly.

Tassha,

Picking between the newer (but not latest models as these are priced at a premium) of the reputed brands - Fuji, Kodak, Nikon, Canon, Samsung, Sony - you can safely say that you will get a good product.

The recent models by all of them have comparable features (anti shake or image stabilization, face detection, many shooting modes, ability to also shoot video, auto and manual focus options, flash, timelapse recording so you can set the camera to auto shoot when you want to be in the frame, good shutter speed/aperture) and great drability/quality.

What you should look for:
a. At least 5MP - larger is not necessary unless you plan to print huge blow ups.
b. Optical Zoom - Digital is not as useful. Optical Zoom is really useful when you want to quickly capture something cute that is happening not to close to you. 3X is standard. More is better so if a camera offers higher zoom than another for a comparable price, give more points to the one that has higgher zoom
c. ISO - give more points to a camera with better/higher ISO (image sensor senitivity) as that will mean clearer pictures in low light conditions

Most people dont use a lot of features that they buy so DONT get tempted by cool stuff that you wont ever use. Here are some examples:
a. If you plan to take scenery shots, look for higher wide zoom (apart from tele zoom that allows you to zoom in on distant subjects) as this will allow you to shoot clearer when you are capturing a wide area. If not, save money and dont pay extra.
b. Some newer cameras have a panorama or stitch-assist mode. This allows you to take cool shots of a room or sceneray and knit them together so that the viewer gets a feel for how it might look if he were to stand at the center and turn arounf in place in a circle (360 degree view) Breathtaking pics are possible even by a novice very easily with this mode. So if you went to the Cathe RT for example, you could take a panorama set of shots of a gym room and knit it together as a memory of the 360 degree view of Cathe's gym.
c. Sony's new models have a smile detection mode. A person's smile looks most natural and bright when they first smile. As they "hold" it for someone shooting, it freezes on their face. This camera lets you focus on someone before they "pose". When they smile, it automatically clicks. So you can capture natural lovely smiling faces. If you want to shoot in other modes, those are supported too. I hear other brands are doing this too like Canon.

I like slick/compact rather than clunky cameras although that makes no difference to image quality and end up paying a bit more just for a pretty camera.

Whatever you buy, 6 months down the line, it will probably be cheaper and there will be new models with better features. So try to balance between getting a really old model at a cheap price or a latest kid on the block where you pay more just because it is new.

~* Vrinda *~

If I were to buy today, I'd get one of these:

a. Fujifilm Z100fd: I have the predeccessor the Z5fd and it is a sleek camera that produces crisp, clean shots and has many useful shooting modes. I love the cool diagnal lens cover and the hot pink and burgundy color options. It has dual image stabilization (anti shake as well as light sensitivity). A nice feature that has been carried forward from previous models is dual mode. I prefer natural light to flas photos and the Z100 fd will shoot two continuous pics - one with lflash and one without in this mode so if you are doubtful about whether there is enough light, you can use this mode and decide later which shot to keep. I use this feature a LOT. Mostly I keep the natural light version, but when it is too dark I have the flash version as a backup.
About $150 at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Fine...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1214634782&sr=1-1

The Z200fd has just been released. It is a newer model so it is likely priced higher than the Z100fd, but I wont pay too much more for it than the 100fd based on the feature list:
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/z/finepix_z200fd/index.html

b. Sony Cybershot DSCW170, or for a bit less the older model Cybershot DSCW120
I tested the smile shutter mode (where it clicks when someone smiles) at a promo at a local mall - love it. Highly rated for lens quality, image stabilization and HDTV compatibility
Amazon links:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012Y2JTS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=photo
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cybersho..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AS9WF6VSH1PKP8D5G8P

There are technically better cameras from Canon/Kodak at higher prices but for what most people use a camera I think the two I picked combine great looks, quality and cool features at a reasonable price.

There are really nice older models from all players with about 3x optical zoom and less sophisticated image stabilization for under 100 bucks too. They are good choices if all you want is to point and shoot.

~* Vrinda *~

Vee- You are such a sweetheart. Thanks for all the great information.

Dave- Thanks for the link. I am definetly a novice...

Thank you all for the info.

And thanks for posting the question. I needed a camera too.

Just ordered the Sony through Amazon.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.