Suggested Weights seem high for 65%?

tetons

Cathlete
Hi

Does anyone else feel like some of the suggested weight for the 65% grouping seems high? I did the 1 rep test for most of the exercises and when I look at the suggested weight load for some of the upcoming exercise I think they are high. I do try them but end up lowering them so I can keep good form. Guess I am just surprised that the suggestions represent 65% and it makes me a little worried about what is to come! :)

I am at the end of Meso 1 and loving the program. The exercises, the pace, the order or the work outs, everything is fantastic!

Thanks!

When I first looked at the workout cards, I thought the recommendations at ALL levels would be too much for me but, fortunately, I've actually been able to lift the recommended weight (so far!) But I think you are being very smart by reducing your weight if you don't think you can lift the recommended weight with good form because, as Cathe has said, good form is crucial.

As others have pointed out in various threads, I think it is important to remember that when you did the 1RM tests, you weren't doing them in a workout structured like these workouts, so it is quite normal for your muscles to fatigue a bit more in the workouts which may cause you to lift lower weights. So I say as long as you feel you are exhausting your muscles, don't worry about what is written on the workout cards.

One of the things that I think may have helped me is that I've opted for the six month rotation, and doing these workouts twice really seems to have prepared me well for the next level. I don't know if that may be an option for you, but if it is and you don't feel you are ready for the jump in weight later on in the program, you can always switch over to doing each workout twice (over two weeks) later on.

Keep enjoying your workouts! I, too, am completely loving this program. :)

I feel that my 65% is too high too. That causes me to concern that I might not have done my RM1 correctly.

I wondered if I had done the 1RM properly, too, since those weights just keep getting heavier and heavier as you go along. I suggest that you try what's on the workout card, and if you find that your form really falls apart by the last reps, lower the weights. You might be surprised, especially as you move through the program, by how strong you get and how much more you are able to do than you thought you could do. I am really amazed by the strength I've gained, even though I cannot do the program exactly as planned because I take off 2-3 days a week. I'm STILL gaining an incredible amount of strength as I'm moving through the program.

However, be careful, and if your form begins to fall apart before you get to the final reps, lower the weight you're lifting. You don't want to push too hard and injure yourself - it's not worth it. You'll gain strength even if you lower the weight and move up from there as you move through the program.

Also, if you've got DOMS really bad from another workout, be careful when doing your cardio or before moving on to work those muscles again. You don't want to risk injuring yourself because your body wants to take it easy on those muscles.

Thank all. I definately pay attention to my form and make weight changes as necessary to complete reps with good form. I know I am still getting a good workout because I am still pushing myself and can feel the DOMs. It is good to hear some of you have/had the same concerns.

Thanks for your suggestions and support! Happy lifting!

Suggested Weight Workout Cards?

Hello -

Can someone tell me where I can find these? I would like to see what others are lifting during STS?

I am loving STS!!!

Thanks
Lily

I was also shocked at the predictions for 1RM - and even more shocked when I found I could actually do the 65% (nearly always) for exactly the reps in the program, but not one rep more! Amazingly accurate! I'd be glad to be doing the program if only to find out I can challenge myself even more than I had been.

Doing STS on the six month plan, I'm finding that while sometimes I can't quite do the last rep in good form on a new exercise, the second time through, usually I can do just a little bit more - a pound, or an extra rep. And, it makes it easier for me to feel okay about backing off the first time through if I begin to have trouble with form, knowing there's a second chance to get it "right".

Most of the exercises where my 1RM has been too high were ones that I tested as a "regular" exercise and then in Meso 1 they were presented in a "different" way. One exercise that comes to mind is the seated side lateral raise. I would have tested this as a regular side lateral raise, but in the program it is done as a wicked 8 count high end pulse. No way can I complete that exercise with my tested 1RM weight. I've tried to make extensive notes and next time I do STS I'll be able to grab a better weight, or retest my 1RM using the technique presented.

I was also shocked at the predictions for 1RM - and even more shocked when I found I could actually do the 65% (nearly always) for exactly the reps in the program, but not one rep more! Amazingly accurate! I'd be glad to be doing the program if only to find out I can challenge myself even more than I had been.

Doing STS on the six month plan, I'm finding that while sometimes I can't quite do the last rep in good form on a new exercise, the second time through, usually I can do just a little bit more - a pound, or an extra rep. And, it makes it easier for me to feel okay about backing off the first time through if I begin to have trouble with form, knowing there's a second chance to get it "right".

I agree with you Shadowpup 100% (I'm also doing 6 month program) - I could have written your post! For the most part all the weights have been right on and I've been surprised at what I can do. I think having this all figured out ahead of time actually helps from a mental preparation perspective as well. (I've very glad I did the 1RM's and encourage anyone who does the program to do so!)

I also agree with geomom, exercises like the 8 count lateral had me dropping down a few pounds!

Jo :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.