sugar free vs fat free which is better?

Carmen829

Cathlete
I'm trying to eat well, but labels are confusing. When a product comes in sugar free or fat free, which one is the better purchase? For example, I love the international coffee creamer (I only have one cup of coffee a day in the morning, so I figure why not). Also recently I got sugar free chocolate pudding to help with that sweet tooth I get some evenings.

I'd love to hear from the more experienced clean eater....Thanks

Carmen

Carmen, Unfortunately the Fat Free - Sugar Free doesnt really mean a whole lot (unless you have a medical condition I guess) STILL gotta flip that package and read ingredients label... Most fat free / sugar free labels will scare the pooty out of you! I think for "healthier" you have to look beyond the marketing label and look at ingredients. I have a list of NO WAY will I eat ingredients so thats what I look for.
HTH!

Hi Carmen. Traci is right, it's the ingredients we need to look at if you are looking to go "healthier".

For me, as far as trying to lose or maintain weight, if I'm standing in the store and have to pick the fat free or sugar free "jello pudding" let's say for instance, I'd go with the sugar free. A lot of packages may say "fat free" or "low in fat" and the sugar is thru the ever loving roof!! Low fat and REALLY low sugar works well for me. (when I stick to it of course);)

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

I eat very little packaged food.

There is so much variety in fresh fruits and veggies that I don't feel the need to pick up something packaged.

Sugar free means chemicals. As for vegetables in the winter: frozen, frozen, frozen. Organic frozen vegetables on sale can be very economical. Frozen vegetables are picked at their peak and are vitaman rich. Are we lucky to live in this country with our food choices are what!!

Cheryl

"Sugar free means chemicals."

Unfortunately, so does "fat-free". Typically when you see sugar free, they add more fat to make up for it. Also, when you see fat-free, they add high fructose corn syrup to make up for the lack of fat. Either way, you're getting additional chemicals that your body doesn't need or know what to do with!

I try to avoid both, I'd rather eat a bit of sugar with, say, yogurt than aspertame or sorbitol. Fat free often (not always) indicates high sugar, low fibre. Fat is not necessarily a bad thing, olive oil for example helps reduce LDL cholesterol, we just need to choose our fats wisely. Reading labels goes along way to making smarter choices.

Take Care
Laurie

Actually, avoiding processed foods altogether is best, then you only deal with the natural sugars and fats in whole foods.

In the latter case, avoiding added sugars is good, but natural fats (from avocados, nuts, etc.) are healthy.

In processed foods, there is usually always a downside. The products labelled 'fat free' are often filled with real or artificial sweeteners (often high fructose corn sweetener/syrup, which is best to avoid all together) or contain fats that the body can't metabolize (like Olestra) and which aren't fit for human consumption, while 'sugar-free' products have artificial sugars that are often 'sugar alcohola' that the body can't metabolize.

>As for vegetables in the winter:
>frozen, frozen, frozen. Organic frozen vegetables on sale can
>be very economical.

Dehydrated veggies are another option. Some places like www.sunorganic.com offer some good dehydrated organic veggies. If they are dehydrated at under 118 degrees, they still contain the enzymes of the raw food (which frozen may not, because they are sometimes blanched before packaging, and freezing destroys some of the enzymes anyway).

You could also get fresh produce by sprouting (there are a lot of sprouting kits available these days), or even raising lettuce and such under a grow light (I've seen cute counter-top kits at QVC and Gaiam--same kit, same price) and just recently a grow light system--lots cheaper-- at a local seed and feed store).

I like putting in a tablespoon of Horizon organic skim milk (my milk of choice) in my coffee when I want it a little sweeter. It really tastes good!

If you look at the ingredients of those coffee mates (the fat free, sugar free, or the regular one), you'll see that on all of them, the second ingredient is partially hydrogenized soybean oil. Not good since they list ingredients in order of their abundance. But, if you really like them and can't drink your coffee without them and avoid processed foods for the most part, then I would say that putting it in 1 cup of coffee a day isn't terribly bad. But seriously, try skim milk or fat free soy milk:)

HTH,

Becky

>Where do you live? In the winter, the variety is bleh around
>here.

I live near the heart of Atlanta. We have a great vegetarian co-op here which stocks lots of great organic produce. Plus they have a very strict product policy so nothing is sold with GMO's, transfat, white sugar, corn syrup, etc. so it's a great "safe" place to shop. They have a lot of unusual produce as well as a great bulk food section. And we also have a huge independent farmers' market. I can't remember the last time I was at a Publix or Krogers. Sometimes I go to Whole Foods, but that's as conventional as I get.

>>As for vegetables in the winter:
>>frozen, frozen, frozen. Organic frozen vegetables on sale
>can
>>be very economical.
>
>Dehydrated veggies are another option. Some places like
>www.sunorganic.com offer some good dehydrated organic veggies.
>If they are dehydrated at under 118 degrees, they still
>contain the enzymes of the raw food (which frozen may not,
>because they are sometimes blanched before packaging, and
>freezing destroys some of the enzymes anyway).
>
>You could also get fresh produce by sprouting (there are a lot
>of sprouting kits available these days), or even raising
>lettuce and such under a grow light (I've seen cute
>counter-top kits at QVC and Gaiam--same kit, same price) and
>just recently a grow light system--lots cheaper-- at a local
>seed and feed store).

I am starting to explore some raw food options. I have a couple of (non!)cookbooks on the way to see what equipment I need. I've already got my eye on a nice dehydrator....

>I am starting to explore some raw food options. I have a
>couple of (non!)cookbooks on the way to see what equipment I
>need. I've already got my eye on a nice dehydrator....

Sounds like you and I are on a similar path.;-)

I got a dehydrator and some other raw-food 'tools' this summer, and started reading as much as I can find on it.

One good resource is Alissa Cohen's book/DVD (the DVD really helps!) www.alissacohen.com . Though I've tried some of the dehydrator recipes and it's a mixed bag!

I just wanted to add that I know Silk Soymilk makes flavored creamers that might be another option for you. They are very low in both sugar and fat. I've used them before (in the quite distant past, so I can't say how they still taste, but I used to be very fond of them in teas).

:)
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.