Success with an eating plan??

roderin56

Cathlete
For those of you who have lost weight and kept it off by following a good eating/nutrition plan, what has worked for you??

I have the exercising part down (thanks to Cathe and Insanity!), but my eating has always been the toughest part for me, which I know a lot of others here struggle with that part, too. I have roughly 20 'diet' books from South Beach to Jillian Michaels, vegetarian to Atkins, Eat Clean to Eat Dirty (not really, but you know what I'm saying!) and I can't find one that really sticks with me. I signed up with WW a while ago just to get the information and followed it for a little bit, but that never really worked for me. I need structure, but not too much structure. I've looked into eDiets, but can't decide on which plan!! I don't work well when I have too much information to choose from - less is more with me!

I'm just at my wits end trying to find something that works. I know everyone is different, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I would love to hear from those of you who have been successful in this area so I might have a better 2010!! Thanks to all who reply!

I found the only thing that really worked for me was being aware of my calorie intake. I lost 20 pounds on WW last year, only to gain 10 back because I just felt so restricted on the program, especially since I'd upped my workouts drastically. I lost those 10 pounds again just be being very conscious of what I put into my mouth, avoiding trigger foods, and counting calories (I use the WW digital points calculator throughout the day, deducting from a daily calorie goal rather than a points goal). For me, specific diets like low carb, South Beach, etc seemed too restrictive for me and I hated having to follow a "formula." I know what I should/shouldn't eat, I know I should avoid processed foods as much as I possibly can, and I realized that I don't need to spend 100's of dollars on diets to tell me these things, but rather eat as clean and as healthily as I can. Also, I know sugar is a trigger food for me so I will try to limit my intake of that, which has been working very well. I'm also working on avoiding late-night eating because I know I mindlessly just shove things into my mouth without thinking, racking in tons of calories. Finally, what I've found has helped tremendously is I turn the TV & computer off about an hour before I'm ready for bed and read a book instead. I fall asleep much easier and stay asleep through most of the night, so I've been waking up well-rested in the mornings now! Sleep is key in weight loss.

I found the only thing that really worked for me was being aware of my calorie intake....

Like Melissa, this has been my experience as well. I've been using Fitday, although there are lots of ways to accomplish this end. I've taken a break over the holidays but I'm going to start up next week. I hope to address these last 5 or so pounds but I'm at a healthy weight now so maintaining is my real goal.

I"ve used Southbeach Diet (with exercise) to lose the weight after each of my babies.

I"m using the same concept now to lose weight after twin-birth. This is my most difficult challenge yet (besides the pregnancy itself)!!!

I lost weight years ago following the Atkins diet and I have to say with very little effort. Once I cut out those carbs the weight just came off. I have not gained it back even tho I am not so diligent in following the "no Carbs" prescription. I had been slim my whole life but gained weight due to family stress about 30 lbs and it was all gone in a couple of months.

I've been eating clean - about 80-90%. Initially, I used a calorie counting program and just kept myself below a specific caloric intake to lose 1 lb. per week. After that, I read the Eat Clean book and have used the basic principals, but follow it with the foods I like and skip all the protein powders and things like that.

Mainly, I use common sense - mostly fresh produce, chicken, fish, ground turkey or buffalo, for my pasta, I use DaVinci which only has two ingredients, whole grains, etc. I stay completely away from processed foods of any kind and type! It takes discipline to follow any plan.

I don't think your problem is the plan per se, but just developing the discipline to stick completely with something that can be a lifestyle for you rather than a "diet." As soon as I changed my perception from following a "diet" to eating "normally" every day, it became easy!

Good luck finding the way that works for you!

Mainly, I use common sense - mostly fresh produce, chicken, fish, ground turkey or buffalo, for my pasta, I use DaVinci which only has two ingredients, whole grains, etc. I stay completely away from processed foods of any kind and type! It takes discipline to follow any plan.

I don't think your problem is the plan per se, but just developing the discipline to stick completely with something that can be a lifestyle for you rather than a "diet." As soon as I changed my perception from following a "diet" to eating "normally" every day, it became easy!

ITA!

For me it's all about common sense and discipline. I eat chicken, brown rice, veggies, some fruit and whole grains. I stay away from processed foods and sugar as much as possible.

Due to family issues I haven't worked out as consistently as I have in the past but I have managed to lose weight/maintain by sticking to these basic principles.

Kicking the "white" products and sugar out of my diet was really the big key for me.

I'm vegan and so I eat lots of carbs, but I cut out all refined sugars (umm...except last week :D), cut out almost all highly processed foods and stick mainly to whole, natural fruits, veggies, nuts & seeds and legumes. I started shedding pounds pretty quickly by sticking to this "plan."

My biggest pitfall has always been snacking after dinner - I usually crave sweets like crazy after dinner. I try to remind myself that a craving is not an excuse, it's just a craving. I have some peppermint tea after dinner now. I also try to save up some little chores or activities for the couple of hours after dinner to keep myself busy. If I'm still pining for chocolate (it's always all about chocolate with me), I'll take the dogs for a little walk, or brush my teeth, or chew a piece of sugarless gum. That usually keeps me in line.

Usually.

one thing i want to recommend is the book called "intuitive eating" It really focuses on relearning your true hunger/fullness signals and how to not view a food as "bad" or "not allowed" For years i have been a successful dieter meaning i have good and bad foods on my list. When i eat the bad food then i might as well eat all the bad foods the rest of the day. I'm slowly working on IE and it has helped me relax a bit. It does focus on nutrition a bit at the end. I think a lot of people fight against there bodies such as not eating when they are truely hungry to try and lose weight. The website is www.intuitiveeating.com Hope this helps

I have to work really hard to drop weight:mad:. If I just watch calories I feel like crap....and then binge

I am a long time lo carber. It is simple to me. In addition I have to watch calories.

I also dont eat dairy or grains of any kind. It may sound bleak to you but I have never felt better.

My family is plagued with disease that is diet related and I am hoping avoid this.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I got a lot of good info to think about!

Tricia - you are so right when you say I need the discipline to stick with something. I used to be so good at knowing what I need to eat and knowing what I couldn't eat, but as I get older, it's more difficult for my brain to function that way!:p I lack the discipline to stick to anything for more than two days. In the past when I've stuck with a plan, the weight would come off. And it's not that it's the 'plan' that's working in some magical way (because anything is going to work with consistency), it's ME that's working on the plan. So finding what works for me is the key.

Kariev - thanks for the website. That's actually one book that I don't have in my collection!! I'll definately check it out.

And thanks everyone else for your comments!!:)

Hmmm, so I've done low(er) carb and that works great for me. But I need a potato every now and then!

I've always wanted to 'eat clean' and envy those of who you do, but what do you do on days when you don't have anything 'clean' in the house and need to pop a Lean Cuisine in the microwave??!

I've always wanted to 'eat clean' and envy those of who you do, but what do you do on days when you don't have anything 'clean' in the house and need to pop a Lean Cuisine in the microwave??!

Natural Peanut butter on Rice cake works for me. Pop a bag of frozen green beans in the microwave along with a sweet potato and you have a meal. Also a chunk of cheese and an apple, oatmeal for dinner with 3 egg whites cooked in. The beauty of clean food is that it's always available if you think beyond the box of what a dinner should consist of.

I would also like to lose 25-30# but for me it's because I eat too much because even with clean foods if you eat more than you need you'll gain weight. So for 2010 I'm going to focus on keeping track of what I eat in calories.

Good luck to you!

For those of you who have lost weight and kept it off by following a good eating/nutrition plan, what has worked for you??

I have the exercising part down (thanks to Cathe and Insanity!), but my eating has always been the toughest part for me, which I know a lot of others here struggle with that part, too. I have roughly 20 'diet' books from South Beach to Jillian Michaels, vegetarian to Atkins, Eat Clean to Eat Dirty (not really, but you know what I'm saying!) and I can't find one that really sticks with me. I signed up with WW a while ago just to get the information and followed it for a little bit, but that never really worked for me. I need structure, but not too much structure. I've looked into eDiets, but can't decide on which plan!! I don't work well when I have too much information to choose from - less is more with me!

I'm just at my wits end trying to find something that works. I know everyone is different, but everyone has to start somewhere.

I would love to hear from those of you who have been successful in this area so I might have a better 2010!! Thanks to all who reply!

DITTO - autumn

Check out The Hilton Head Metabolism Diet. If you do a google search you can find the ebook, or order it online. It is very sensible and healthy and so easy to follow. I've never had a lot to lose, but when I put on a few extra pounds I've done this diet twice and it's a charm. It's based on 5 meals a day, then boosting calories on the weekends. It kicks your metabolism in gear! Good luck!

"I've always wanted to 'eat clean' and envy those of who you do, but what do you do on days when you don't have anything 'clean' in the house and need to pop a Lean Cuisine in the microwave??![/QUOTE]

Keep a list of what you need as you run out of it! As it grows, head to the store! Also, if you know you're running low just on healthy snacks, stop on your way home after work and pick up a few! You always have to be aware of what's in your fridge and pantry, but no differently than when you normally shop! Make use of what you have, too! Sometimes, I'll just whip up an egg white omelet with what's left of some spinach and mushrooms for a snack if I'm out of fruit or nuts!

It takes a little effort (especially for me), but you can get creative with your food!

I have the best success when I don't buy anything "dirty" - then I only have healthy whole foods in the house. On nights when I just don't have time or inclination to cook, I can always throw together a salad or have some soup (I like Dr. McDougall's, which I recently discovered at my local Whole Foods), or just assemble a bunch of grazing foods - smokehouse almonds, apple slices, carrots & celery & hummus, Mary's Gone Crackers, cherry tomatoes, baked beans or lentils, etc. My SO and I just eat them like a bunch of hors d'oeuvres. It only takes a few minutes to pull everything out of the fridge/cupboard and arrange it all on a plate.

I'd picked up over fifty excess pounds, post cancer and with a job change (and just plain too happy to be alive to pay attention to how I was treating my body!).

I lost it all and a bit more through a lifestyle change, aided and abetted by SparkPeople (www.sparkpeople.com), Cathe Friedrich, Cardio coach, and others :) The weight came off at a steady clip and has stayed off over two years.

The most important thing I learned from all of this is that it's about lifestyle, not a particular diet. I do monitor calories eaten as well as calories burned - that's motivating rather than a chore, as I'm a measurement junkie :). There are all kinds of ways to lose weight, and many differing opinions as to how to stay healthy/keep it off. In my own life, I've discovered it is emphasizing health through the little daily choices that make the difference. Eat the right amount (enough and not too much, whole foods mostly plants), be active throughout the day, rest appropriately, regularly set and achieve fitness goals, and 'buddy up' so that you have a support system. It all seems so simple now, but sure didn't three years ago!

Last edited:
Erin, I really think everyone is different, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. There are so many different factors involved, including genes and personality.

For example, my parents were both slim and I have an obsessional personality. So for me, what works best is trying not to think about what I eat too much, other than to make sure what goes into my mouth is healthy and leave it at that. My body has a naturally healthy set point if I leave it alone and don't diet myself into hunger and cause binges. But I have friends who come from obese families and who eat mindlessly, who need to do the exact opposite of what I do. They need to be more conscious of what they eat.

I don't believe there is a single answer for everyone. Through trial and error, you need to find what's best for you and your personality and way of thinking about food. Don't be frustrated if something doesn't work; just keep looking! Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.