Sub for lunges?

shanihib

Cathlete
Recently was able to convince my hubby to work out with me and we discovered that he cannot do lunges because of a metal plate he has in his foot. Is there an alternative exercise that doesn't require the foot to flex that much to work the same muscles?

Thanks!

Does he have that problem with all lunges or just alternating lunges. In other words, can he do static lunges? Otherwise, squats on the wall with the ball let you dig deeper than free standing squats - that may work. Maybe the ball/floor work from Butts and Gutts? It really isolates.

I sometimes have a painful first metatarsal on my left foot. so instead of bending the front part of my foot/toe, I keep the foot flat and press it vertically & flat against the front of a step. if it's an elevated lunge, I put my foot higher, against the front of a platform with several risers on. you will need to brace the step/object your foot is pushing against so it doesn't slide away. a wall or something solid. that way I can do lunges without bending toe area. HTH.

Last edited:
I sometimes have a painful first metatarsal on my left foot. so instead of bending the front part of my foot/toe, I keep the foot flat and press it vertically & flat against the front of a step. if it's an elevated lunge, I put my foot higher, against the front of a platform with several risers on. you will need to brace the step/object your foot is pushing against so it doesn't slide away. a wall or something solid. that way I can do lunges without bending toe area. HTH.

Traildoggie, this is the same problem I have. And I have to say, I really miss doing those lunges because they work (in other words, give me DOMS). I also do some types of modified lunges, but it just isn't the same.

Hey, maybe we should wear some steel toed boots so our feet won't bend! just say'in.:p

I hope Cathe answers.

I've had good luck with this method. I can usually do walking lunges & static lunges OK, but the elevated ones seem to put more stress on that joint.... an intermittent problem for me.

I use a high step like Cathe does. With your foot flat against the front of the high step, just do the lunges the same way. seems to get into the same spot. both cheeks get equally sore for me! it's important to block the step so it doesn't push away from you.

That may work. He has a plate in his foot that was put there to keep the heel bone (calcaneus) and bones above it in place after he broke the calcaneus in half (he fell off a ladder). It limits how much he can bend his foot - it simply won't bend. Squats are affected too. I think that squats using a stability ball against the wall would work there since the foot and calf stay relatively perpendicular. Any move that requires the foot to flex toward the shin, or vice-a-Versa just doesn't happen for him.

for squats, could he try placing a triangular shaped wedge under his foot to raise his heel up a little while keeping the foot itself flat?

understand, this is just a thought. I've never needed anything like that but it seems like it might allow him to lower himself without bending his foot. For squats, my heel always pops off the floor, putting a bend in my foot. except, of course, like you mentioned, wall squats with a stability ball.
good luck with that. Hope he can find something that works and doesn't cause any other problems.

Good idea! He's considering having the plate removed now that everything has healed, but I don't know if that will give him back that range of motion. In the meantime, and possibly forever, these options are great.

Hi Shani! I hope you are doing well :)

Great to hear you are both doing STS. Here is an alternative exercise that your hubby may be able to do. It is a one legged standing dipping squat movement. Have him stack a 4, 6 or 8 inch high step (or line up the long side of a regular sized step) next to a wall. He can stand on the step so that his right side faces the wall (his right hand will be placed on the wall for balance). and his left side is free to hold a dumbbell in his hand). Have him stand closer to the left side of his step so that he is free to lower his leg off the side of the step without interference.

The Exercise:

One Legged Standing Dip Squat

Standing on the step, have him hold a challenging dumbbell in his left hand with his left arm down at his side. His right foot is planted firmly on the step (so it is completely flat) and his right hand is extended out to the side to hold onto the wall for balance.

Now he should bend his right knee and lower his left foot down as far as he comfortable can and stand back up. As he does this his left foot will lower down and possibly tap the floor (which is fine) but if it touches the floor with no problem, raise the height of the step a bit. The hand weight used along with the gravity of the move, creates a challenge to the quads and glutes. More quads though if he stays shallow in his dip. After 3 sets of 12 he should turn around and work the other side.

How to make it more challenging:

As he gets comfortable and better balanced with this exercise he can let go of the wall and put a weight in both hands as he lowers himself down.

To make the exercise target more glutes than quads, he can do the STS exercise where we sit in a chair and stand back up (holding a weight) with one leg lifted the whole time. If the chair is too low of a range for his foot to allow for, then put a few thick phone books on a chair so that his range of motion is reduced and he doesn't have to lower his body down as far.

Good Luck!

I'm great! I hope you are not working too hard right now getting the new workouts ready for distribution. (but we sure do appreciate the effort!) Wow, that's a great substitution that I'm sure will work plus help with his balance, which is also an issue. Thanks Cathe!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.