sub for kb gloves

aseay

Cathlete
i had a crazy idea of using 3pd dumbells in place of gloves. would that work? how heavy r gloves for kickboxing?

laura

The weighted gloves that I have, I got when I ordered Turbo Jam. I think they are 1lb. I think it would be very difficult doing jabs, uppercut, hooks, etc. with dumbells in your hand. Maybe you can check out your local fitness store and see how much a pair would cost.

Debbie

Hey Laura! I use my TJ weighted gloves that are 1#, but I think a 3# db would be ok, just be careful not to injure yourself. Let us know how it goes. }(

what other workouts do u use with weighted gloves besides turbojam and p90x? i will either buy some tomorrow or simply buy another 2# at target since it is around the corner.

laura

I also use them for all kickboxing- Cathe's KPC, KM, and sometimes I even use them to up the intensity in Plyo (and add ankle weights too). I think I'll use them for Intervals + too. I don't know what other weights that have for the gloves, let me know if Target has 2#!!

Laura,
I really don't think it would be a good idea to use 3 lb dbs for a kickboxing workout. It would put a lot of stress on your joints (esp. elbow and shoulder) holding that heavy of a wt while punching, esp. during fast punching segments. That's why KB gloves are only 1 lb. each. Not to mention during speed bags and flurry rounds, the wts would clang together. If you have soft donut 1 lb wts, those would work, holding them in your hands.

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

I have 1 lb. and 1.5 lb. weighted gloves. Honestly, sometimes I find using 1 lb. to 2 lb. handweights easier to use than the gloves. I love that they are easy to put down and pick up again, depending upon the combos. during fast moving punches, I sometimes prefer to put them down. With weighted gloves it takes a little more time to take them off, and I don't always put them back on, whereas with dumbbells, it's so easy to just grab them again. Don't underestimate the power of those little 1 lb. weights. Believe me you will feel them. As far as using 3 lbs. weights. I would only use them on a slower KB workout, where you have more control over your punches. Anything fast, you're better off going lower weight.

tomorrow i will buy 1-2 pd dumbells since its cheaper than buying gloves and u made a good point about them being easier to put down and pick up again. thanx

laura

I have 1 lb gloves, but... believe it or not, I find I enjoy the workout more without using them. It really forces me to use my muscles to bring power to the punches. And not just the muscles in my arms, but my whole upper body, including my abs (especially with upper cuts). As I've done more and more kickboxing, I'm finding this to be true. I'm also finding that I can see the "lazy punches" and bad form on so many of the background exercises (and sometimes the lead instructor)... but certainly not on Cathe and crew!!

I wouldn't use 3#. The momentum caused by the punching motion makes any weight feel heavier than it is, and 3# (especially if you're just starting out) could put too much strain on the shoulders and elbows.

I'm still using the 1# weighted gloves I started with a few years ago, though I will occasionally use 2# for some slower, more controlled workout.

I recommend 1#, or even 1/2 pound to start out with, and not using them until you've got your form down (no 'wild elbows', no locking of joints, etc.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.