STS CARDIO ROTATION SUGGESTIONS

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I was hoping we could get these posted in the workout manager by now, but since that is still on the "to do" list, how about I just post it here until we get to it. I know many of you have so patiently been waiting...thanks all :)

BTW, my post is too long and getting rejected for length :confused: I will divide it into two posts for now....better than nothing right? :D

Recommended Cardio Rotations for STS.

The following three month rotation includes my cardio suggestions for the entire STS program. Each week, of each Mesocycle, contains three cardio workouts all of which consist of a wide variety of my cardio-based DVD’s. In addition I have created and included other aerobic workout options that you can pick and choose from to either 1) add additional workouts if/when desired 2) replace a workout that better suits your preferences/abilities/allotted exercise time or 3) substitute with if you don’t have a particular DVD. If desired, you may also select an outside cardio option that is not listed here.

It is important to note that in order to reap the fullest benefits of the entire STS program, a well balanced, low fat, nutrient dense diet, as well as these suggested DVD’s and/or other cardio programs, are strongly recommended. Remember to remain focused and committed to your program each and every day as this is the foundation to your success.

Here is the list of OPTIONAL cardio workouts that I have put together (to be implemented as mentioned above):

Option 1…WALKING

A) 20 minute brisk walk with 10 pound weighted vest
B) 30 minute walk/run interval…(walk 4 minutes and run 1 minute …repeat 6 times)
C) 40 minute brisk walk no vest
D) 50 minute treadmill walk (every 10 minutes increase you incline by 2%)

Option 2….BIKING

A) Any indoor cycle class
B) 30 minute outdoor bike ride on hilly terrain
C) 40 minute outdoor bike ride on flat roads
D) 50 minute stationary bike (or elliptical machine) set on interval program

Option 3….RUNNING

A) 20 minute steady state run
B) 30 minute interval run…(run 4 minutes and walk on minute….repeat 6 times)
C) 40 minute run on mixed terrain surface
D) 50 minute incline/flat interval (walk ON INCLINE 5 minutes, run on NO INCLINE 5 minutes…repeat 5 times)

Option 4….CARDIO QUICK FIX….20 minutes in length (perfect as is or can be added on to another cardio workout)

……..1 minute Jumping Jacks
……..1 minute of stair climbing in house (if no steps, do steps ups, 20 per leg on a 12 inch step height)
……..1 minute jump rope (don’t have to use a rope but do the movement as such)
……..1 minute jog or shuffle in place while arms pump up and down
………1 minute front/back kicks (30 seconds the right leg kicks front and left leg kicks back then switch legs for the remaining 30 seconds)

Repeat all 5 of these one minute activities for a total of 4 times to equal 20 minutes.

MESOCYCLE ONE….MUSCLE ENDURANCE

Week One :
Monday……….Disc 1 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “No Equipment Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Imax 2…55 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 2..(back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Kick, Punch, and Crunch (includes abs)…..68 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 3 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………Drill Max premix #3 (scrambled cardio blast) Plus Ab Circuits “Weight /Plates Abs” ..65 min
Sunday…………OFF/Stretch Out

Week Two:
Monday……….Disc 4 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Yoga-Based Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Low Max …70 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 5 (back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Cardio Kicks…60 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 6 (legs)…Plus Ab Circuits “Pilates-Based Abs”..total 73 minutes
Saturday………Maximum Intensity Cardio

Week Three:
Monday……….Disc 7 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Imax Original…60 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 8..(back and triceps) … Plus Ab Circuits “Weight and Plates Abs”….total 75 min
Thursday ……..Kick Max…75 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 9 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………4Day Split Boot Camp Cardio Only Plus Cardio Quick Fix…total 50 minutes

Week Four:
Monday……….Disc 10 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Stability Ball Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Rhythmic Step….60 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 11 (back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Imax 3… Plus Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs”…73 min
Friday…………..Disc 12 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………4Day Split Kick Box Cardio Only Plus Cardio Quick Fix..Plus 4DS/ KB Abs.. total 60 min

ACTIVE RECOVERY WEEK…Do cardio activities, yoga workouts, stretch programs , or even totally rest but NO WEIGHT TRAINING THIS WEEK!!!

Last edited:
this is awesome!

Thanks Cathe, this is awesome! I did my first STS DVD today and was floored at the difficulty and amount i sweated throughout. I really loved it and am so glad I went for it and bought the set. Also tried the no-equipment abs and loved that too. Lots of love going on here ;-)

As for the cardio add-ins, these are great suggestions and as I've recently taken up spinning, I'll probably add that to my rotation 1-2 times a week. For active recovery, we can't do any weights the whole week? That's gonna be tough to restrain myself but I will follow the rules :)

Thanks again Cathe!

Cathe~
Thank you for working on a Sunday. Please let your family know we appreciate their support of you & your work.

Now go get ready for the SuperBowl! ~ I'll be doing STS Plyo while its on, thats better than sharing in DHs junk food!

Had a BLAST doing Disc 1 with you guys yesterday...I am toasted today!
The 1RM was worth every single second it took to do...Pushed me to a new level.

Hugs from TX!

Just what I have been waiting for. :D Thanks Cathe

And you even included when to do the ab workouts. Too Cool.:cool:

Saundra

Last edited:
Awesome..Just what I was hoping to find when I logged on today. Thanks for posting this for us Cathe...You are the best!!!

Last edited:
Cathe,

This looks awesome! You have done a lot of work for us and I appreciate it very much.

When are we going to start these workouts together? I'm ready when you are?

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cathe, thank you SO MUCH!!! I wondered what you would recommend for cardio and I GREATLY appreciate the options for bike and elliptical workouts. This will make the STS rotation perfect for me in every way. I wish I could use your cardio, but I'm SO clumsy. Seriously, I am :eek: . But I want you to know that I have, on occasion, watched some of your cardio DVD's while working out on my elliptical. ;)

Thanks for all the great cardio options AND the rotation, Cathe! I did Disc #1 today and am hooked on STS already. :) Thanks for always creating such challenging workouts!!

Wow Cathe, what dedication to us!! Thank you so much for making this rotation for us and posting it on the weekend no less!! :D

I also noticed you listed for cardio for Week Two on Tuesday "Low Max 2". Now, I'd definitely LOVE a Low Max 2!!! ;)

Wow Cathe, what dedication to us!! Thank you so much for making this rotation for us and posting it on the weekend no less!! :D

I also noticed you listed for cardio for Week Two on Tuesday "Low Max 2". Now, I'd definitely LOVE a Low Max 2!!! ;)

I noticed and thought the same thing! We can dream, right?

Thank you for telling me. I figured fixing it here would be a lot faster then creating Low Max 2 by Tuesday :eek:

Thank you so much Cathe! This looks perfect and I cannot wait to start (getting over a cold prevented me from starting today, but I wanted to make sure I'm really ready to begin STS). Also - I saw this under your original post "Last edited by Cathe Friedrich; 02-02-2009 at 02:56 AM." When is it you sleep???

STS & Cardio

Very cute! But you know we won't let you off that easily. We want more cardio to go with STS! :)

Actually, I'm very happy to have some cardio I'm familiar with, it's probably a comfort thing. Did Low Max today, thinking I needed to work my legs, then previewed STS legs for Friday's workout. WOW. I wish now I'd been nicer to my legs! I'll be thinking about strickly cardio routines I've done many times before--give my brain and body time to prepare for NEXT week!!! STS is going to push me like never before. Thanks, Cathe!

I love this rotation, thank you.

But, is it possible that I can get some sort of volume discount on the DVD's for this cardio rotation?

I just purchased 4 of the DVD's recommended above at a cost of $143.96 (Low Max, Drill Max; Imax2; Kick, Punch & Crunch). Just to get me through the first month, I'll have to purchase 5 more DVD's (Imax Original, Kick-max, 4-day split, Rhythmic Step, Imax 3). I'm certain the cost is well worth it but a volume discount would be helpful.

Hi Everyone! I was hoping we could get these posted in the workout manager by now, but since that is still on the "to do" list, how about I just post it here until we get to it. I know many of you have so patiently been waiting...thanks all :)

BTW, my post is too long and getting rejected for length :confused: I will divide it into two posts for now....better than nothing right? :D

Recommended Cardio Rotations for STS.

The following three month rotation includes my cardio suggestions for the entire STS program. Each week, of each Mesocycle, contains three cardio workouts all of which consist of a wide variety of my cardio-based DVD’s. In addition I have created and included other aerobic workout options that you can pick and choose from to either 1) add additional workouts if/when desired 2) replace a workout that better suits your preferences/abilities/allotted exercise time or 3) substitute with if you don’t have a particular DVD. If desired, you may also select an outside cardio option that is not listed here.

It is important to note that in order to reap the fullest benefits of the entire STS program, a well balanced, low fat, nutrient dense diet, as well as these suggested DVD’s and/or other cardio programs, are strongly recommended. Remember to remain focused and committed to your program each and every day as this is the foundation to your success.

Here is the list of OPTIONAL cardio workouts that I have put together (to be implemented as mentioned above):

Option 1…WALKING

A) 20 minute brisk walk with 10 pound weighted vest
B) 30 minute walk/run interval…(walk 4 minutes and run 1 minute …repeat 6 times)
C) 40 minute brisk walk no vest
D) 50 minute treadmill walk (every 10 minutes increase you incline by 2%)

Option 2….BIKING

A) Any indoor cycle class
B) 30 minute outdoor bike ride on hilly terrain
C) 40 minute outdoor bike ride on flat roads
D) 50 minute stationary bike (or elliptical machine) set on interval program

Option 3….RUNNING

A) 20 minute steady state run
B) 30 minute interval run…(run 4 minutes and walk on minute….repeat 6 times)
C) 40 minute run on mixed terrain surface
D) 50 minute incline/flat interval (walk ON INCLINE 5 minutes, run on NO INCLINE 5 minutes…repeat 5 times)

Option 4….CARDIO QUICK FIX….20 minutes in length (perfect as is or can be added on to another cardio workout)

……..1 minute Jumping Jacks
……..1 minute of stair climbing in house (if no steps, do steps ups, 20 per leg on a 12 inch step height)
……..1 minute jump rope (don’t have to use a rope but do the movement as such)
……..1 minute jog or shuffle in place while arms pump up and down
………1 minute front/back kicks (30 seconds the right leg kicks front and left leg kicks back then switch legs for the remaining 30 seconds)

Repeat all 5 of these one minute activities for a total of 4 times to equal 20 minutes.

MESOCYCLE ONE….MUSCLE ENDURANCE

Week One :
Monday……….Disc 1 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “No Equipment Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Imax 2…55 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 2..(back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Kick, Punch, and Crunch (includes abs)…..68 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 3 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………Drill Max premix #3 (scrambled cardio blast) Plus Ab Circuits “Weight /Plates Abs” ..65 min

Week Two:
Monday……….Disc 4 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Yoga-Based Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Low Max …70 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 5 (back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Cardio Kicks…60 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 6 (legs)…Plus Ab Circuits “Pilates-Based Abs”..total 73 minutes
Saturday………Maximum Intensity Cardio

Week Three:
Monday……….Disc 7 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Imax Original…60 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 8..(back and triceps) … Plus Ab Circuits “Weight and Plates Abs”….total 75 min
Thursday ……..Kick Max…75 minutes
Friday…………..Disc 9 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………4Day Split Boot Camp Cardio Only Plus Cardio Quick Fix…total 50 minutes

Week Four:
Monday……….Disc 10 (chest, shoulders, biceps) Plus Ab Circuits “Stability Ball Abs”…total 70 min
Tuesday………..Rhythmic Step….60 minutes
Wednesday….Disc 11 (back and triceps) …56 minutes
Thursday ……..Imax 3… Plus Ab Circuits “Medicine Ball Abs”…73 min
Friday…………..Disc 12 (legs)….53 minutes
Saturday………4Day Split Kick Box Cardio Only Plus Cardio Quick Fix..Plus 4DS/ KB Abs.. total 60 min

ACTIVE RECOVERY WEEK…Do cardio activities, yoga workouts, stretch programs , or even totally rest but NO WEIGHT TRAINING THIS WEEK!!!

WOW!!!!

just did disc 1 today, and it is GREAT!!!!! thanks cathe, for another super series. i really enjoyed it. i love the way it seems like we are right there w/ya'll. and all your training tips are just so appreciated.
cathy

Thank you, Cathe! Any suggestions for which one of your workouts would provide the right tempo for doing the Cardio Quick Fix :)? I think without music, it would take me a lot longer to get all that done ;).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.