~~STS 6 month alumni-Week of Aug7th~~~~

Good Sunday Morning!

I have been up for a while so I thought I would go ahead and get the ball rolling on the new week.

I needed to make granola (now a staple in this house ;)Cendrine) and I wanted to get it done early before the house was heating up. Plus I wanted to get the laundry done too. Dryer=hot house:rolleyes:

Cendrine-It sounds like you had a great time. I hope you got some good pics. I am still waiting on dh to dl the pics on this computer. He put them on the other one for some reason:rolleyes: I had to laugh about the travel nazis. I have to say the only time we traveled overseas we were able to fly business and I don't know how I will do taking that flight in coach:p. It was nice to get to lie back.

I think we are going to go visitt my brother and niece and nephew this afternoon. My niece is going into high school and my nephew is going into kindergarten. What a spread huh. LOL

I am jealous of yalls weather by the way! LOL I am sure though that we will be in the 50's and 60's in December so I will just hold that thought.;)

Laundry is ready. TTYL

Typing this post after finishing BM2 in it's entirety so if it doesn't make much sense you know why:eek::rolleyes: What a crazy workout! Did you make it through the whole thing yesterday Rachael? So I finished week one of the Aug rotation.

Yesterday was KPC, DH did it with me. Also did 2 bike rides with dd.

Cendrine What a great sounding trip!! Isn't it great to get away and even better to get home again:D Did the kids enjoy the camping??

Rachael We're going to Minneapolis in 3 weeks! I've done the bus trip the last few years and always have lots of fun. Then last year DH and the kids really wanted to go but I didn't want to give up my ladies only weekend so I went twice:rolleyes: DH and the kids had a great time and want to go again so I relucantly gave up the bus trip this year. I just decided it wasn't worth the cost of going twice a few weeks apart.
Maybe if you have lots of time off and it's so hot, you should drive up north where it's cooler for a vacation.
I'm sure the not doing what work is coming in is so stressful for you and DH but it sounds like you plan well for this event. Enjoy the time with your family.

Patricia Enjoy that cottage!

Jo I'm sure you're working hard on something! Have a nice weekend!

Happy Monday!

I got another yoga lesson under my belt plus 4DS HIS this morning now to relax the rest of the day:p
I kind of learned to flip my down dog and almost get to wheel:eek: I am definitely not there yet though but alot closer than I have ever been. This is alot for someone who has never had an athletic or gymnastic bone in her body! I am very excited!

Other than that, no word on the job front long term. We are supposed to go do something tomorrow but until dh gets home I am not sure what...

Kim-I did alright on BM2 considering the last few times I have done it, I lowered my step height on the power circuits... THis time I did 3 of the power circuits with the 8in step and then skipped to the upper body workout:eek: I felt worked out enough below the waist:p
The Minneapolis trip sounds like it is going to be some fun girl shopping with dd so at least you have that to look forward to.
And you read my mind on the driving north west...I really want to but I am a terrible procrastinator. I would like to plan a little so we don't miss some things. It's just getting started. Too bad you are not closer so you could help me, since you are a seasoned travel planner...:D:D:D;)

Hi to Patricia, Cendrine and Jo...Gotta eat before I implode!

WTG on the yoga success! Always feels good to accomplished something new!

Nothing exciting here. Nice quiet day at work which is fine with me. Grocery shopping, stretch max and reading on my Kindle this evening.:D

Nothing here either Kim. Just heat so I am sleepy all the time esp. after noon!

This morning I did Step Moves for the steady state tm work and no yoga since dh had to go check on a small job so I thought I would ride with him...about a 40 min drive through the country and then since we were half way already we went to see his mom. So nice visit and then home.

Now to just lay up under the fan for the afternoon and finish the last of The Hunger Games.

TTYL

I really hit the ground running and that is why I haven't checked in yet this week.... so sorry...

Kim, it is so true, it is awesome to come back home! Love my own four walls and my own little kingdom! It amazes me how used I am to my own ways of doing things and how crazy individualist I am! :eek:

So we are just finishing out our second day of school. It's going pretty well, but it is taking us longer than last year, because as the kids move up in grades, of course the workload goes up too... But it's going well, the kids are enjoying it for the most part (they are a little short on sleep) we do like the new spelling and writing program we got for this year.

Unfortunately the last day of our stay in Seattle out of the blue my back started bothering me a lot. I had gotten used to feeling fine and I had done nothing to provoke this flare up. It's worse right now than when I started spinal decompression treatments... :( I'm icing a lot and obviously doing nothing workout wise, I couldn't even do my ab and stretches because it bothered me too. The pain seems to be a little lower than previously so I am puzzled as to what this is. I might go in tomorrow and see if they can shed some light on things for me.

Rachel, I love that you are so excited about your yoga classes! It is fun to do new things and get good at them. I'm sorry that its so hot for you guys, it's relatively mild here for California standards. Sorry too about the lean job prospects but am so glad that you guys plan for this sort of thing so you don't have to worry all the time!

Kim, your shopping trip sounds like it will be fun, even if you can't go with the girls this year. I'll be interested to hear all the stuff you end up picking up! ;) Sounds like you enjoy being back at work to a regular schedule. I'm gearing up for being volunteer at the girl scout day camp next week. I hope my back will be better by then. Luckily the hours are a bit shorter than the boy scout camp so it will feel a little less busy and give us a bit more time to get ready in the morning and recoup in the evening....;)

We got friends coming over tonight, I'm teaching the girlfriend how to make macadamia crusted fish with a mango coconut sauce for dinner, so she's coming early and then dh and her boyfriend will come and eat what we made. Then I have to rush of to girls scout leader training (I think I'm going to end up being the troop leader even though I'd prefer not to be...) But I talked to another troop leader and she told me that I can say how many I want in the troop and how much parent help I require, so it sounded more doable than before.

Hi Patricia and Jo! Hopefully I'll be able to check in more often as we get into our routine.

Cendrine, I'm so sorry to hear about your back! Hope the doctor has an answer and remedy for you! You sure did hit the floor running! What a busy schedule you have.

Nothing new here. Did 4DS HIS and dd's fancy new chaise lounge chair came. She has decided she doesn't need most of her toys and has decided to get rid of everything:rolleyes: Now her bedroom is beautiful clean and organized and I can't even walk into the den.:rolleyes:

Good Wednesday!

OK I know I don't have to tell yall ...ITS STILL HOT! :rolleyes: It's funny, I looked up the almanacs forecast out of boredom yesterday and they are predicting a mild August for us:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That was too funny.

I am super excited to share something with yall. I think my yoga practice is helping me to gain strength in my shoulders or rather keep better form so I can go higher in my weight. This morning I was doing the shoulder work from 4DS and I have never been able to do the weight she did and this morning I was able to complete all but the isolation presses with the weight she used. Those I had to go down to 12's. I think this is all due to a lesson we did in yoga the other day that concentrated on keeping your shoulder blades kind of "hooked" while you go into chataranga <--sp. I thought about that this morning and it really seemed to help me feel all the shoulder things where I am supposed to as appose to sometimes feeling them farther back on the shoulder...Anyhow thought that was interesting. oh, I am hoping this is going to help with pushups too....fingers crossed.

This too came to my realization fairly recently when I was rereading a post I posted...That I need to proof read more often...LOL:D I guess my brain is getting ahead of my typing without noticing and I seem to leave out words...ALOT. Sorry for that...I will try to do better.;)

Cendrine-It sounds like you are about to get really busy! Just remember to make time for yourself. I know I sometimes forget to do that myself and we don't have kids so I am sure it happens to you and Kim a lot.
So sorry about the back. That is kind of how my pain was. There was no definitive reason for it...That really was what ticked me off! I know it will get better so hang in there.

Kim-I bet dd's room is looking more and more grown up. I had to laugh about not being able to get in the den now. That happens here too...Chaos just shifts from one place to the other. LOL:rolleyes:

Hi Jo and Patricia.

Off to look at recipes. I used the grill as the over the other night so not to heat up the house and it worked great for chicken breast so now I am going to experiment with other stuff. TTYL

You are so right about making time for myself! It is getting harder every year! :eek: i was at a girl scout leader meeting last night and came home rather overwhelmed about all the stuff that needs to get done before you can meet as a troop! I know it's all for safety and insurance purposes, but the paper trail this requires! Boy! And I am definitely not going to do this by myself! Way to much work! Here's to hoping that I can get some parents to take over the treasury and cookie sales, if nothing else!

It seems that my back is getting a little bit better. I'm so busy I don't know when to fit in the dr even though it should probably be my priority.... I guess I'm hoping it will go away on it's own....:eek:

Rachel, no worries about the proof reading, I'm sure I send a lot of misspelled words too, especially if I post from the phone... LOL!

Love that you are finding benefits overreaching from yoga to cathe! Awesome!

I had to use up a lot of tofu this week because I got a costco sized pack and only used a little for a recipe, so now I made tofu stir fry, tofu soup, tofu sesame noodles, and a tofu salad....:rolleyes: Next week will be ready made food again, since I'll be at day camp all week... so less healthy fare.

Kim, how funny that dd got rid of most of her toys! I try to talk the kids into parting with some of their stuff every 6 months and they are still totally attached to things even if they don't play with them more than once in a month or so.... It will be nice when some of the clutter can go!

Jo, I bet you are super busy at work! You have your new full time job, classes to finish and left over support at the old work to do as well!
Are you still breathing?

Patricia, how is your p57 going? have you been doing it consistently enough to be able to tell if you like the results? I've been wondering off and on.

Just two more weeks.... of juggling 2 jobs and 2 classes! LOL! I can't believe I missed the whole week of not posting! Ugghhh!!!! I just finished writing a paper. I have one to do tomorrow night...then one next week... then finals! And then I'm done with old job!

I'm so so so so close... :) I miss you all! :D;):p:confused::rolleyes::cool::D;)

Good Friday!

A quickie for me for now because I am off to yoga in a few. I did the 4DS bootcamp this morning and now it is time for a meditation yoga class which is my greatest challenge. I think this is the hardest thing for me. Do any of yall have that trouble. I need to do some reading on it< I guess. I just have a hard time of quieting my mind.

Cendrine-I hope you have some good parent help this year because I think it would be a lot less stressful. I know there are a lot of parents that kind of use those sort of activity things as free babysitting so I hope you don't have a bunch of those.
I am so glad your back is better!!!

Jo-Hang in there girlie! You are on the downhill stretch! Wait didn't we say that before you got the new job ...LOL

Hi Kim and Patricia!

Off to free my mind:rolleyes: LOL

TTYL

I don't get the whole meditation thing, Rachel, so don't feel bad! To me yoga has a place in the physical, but the spiritual aspect doesn't work (I know that it isn't really real yoga if you don't meditate tooo, but that's just how it is for me...) Tell us how your class went!

Yay Jo, just 2how more weeks of crazy! Don't forget to breathe! Dh went out with the guys last night and came home with the menu of a new restaurant, called native foods, a vegan/vegetarian place that looks right up our alley, with tempeh and kale and quinoa and all that good stuff, and the imitation meat is nott made with soy isolates but something more natural they call seitan supposedly a wheat protein, will have to google it to learn more.... I think we will try it out this weekend... ;)

Good morning!

Jo, hang in there!! How are you enjoying that new job??

Rachael That's very interesting about the shoulder work in the yoga/4DS. Did you see on the blog that there will be 2 yoga dvds instead of 1, and if you preordered there is no extra cost. One is yoga max and one is yoga relax, I think. I've often shuddered rereading my post, I think your right the brain works faster than the hands.

Cendrine I can sure relate to where you are at. I was there just a few years ago. DH did the boy scout leader, hockey coach. I did the volunteer at the school and the day care board. They are great experiences but do take alot of time and certainly some of the other parents appreciate you and some make you want to quit:rolleyes::rolleyes: I have to say that most of that is in the past for me and sure enjoy having more time to myself in the evenings. But I'm glad I had the experiences.

Hope you're okay and just busy Patricia!!

For workouts, I did a 45 min run (with a little walking) on Wednesday night, DH ran with me and dd rode her bike.

Yesterday after work some of my coworkers and I went out for dinner. The weather is so beautiful this summer with no bugs! We sat on a patio and had wine ,dinner and it was great! No workout when I got home as it was late. Today was 4DS LIS. I got interrupted a couple of times during the workout with the doorbell ringing. The builders are coming to paint the exterior trim this afternoon!! They never forewarn you (okay as I was typing this the doorbell rang yet again) the painter is now painting the front door. It's a good thing I decided to post instead of taking my shower. I'm icky from my workout but I guess I can't shower till he's finished.

My project for this afternoon is going through dd's toys that she doesn't want. I'm a little worried that she will regret throwing so much away so I might hide some things:rolleyes: My MIL is having a garage sale this weekend so I'll see what is worth selling, and what could be donated. Remember my IL's cottage that was flooded. It sounds like the government is seizing the land to build a dike to prevent future issues. So they are losing their land:(:( that's why she is having a garage sale to sell all the stuff from the cottage. I think they should store it for now as they might want to buy something in the future but they are so heartbroken now that they say it's not going to happen. He (dh's stepdad) is an avid fisherman (even ice fishing), hunter, snowmobiling, etc and he spent so much time at that cottage. We never went up much as he's quite the loner (married MIL later in life) and never seemed keen on having her kids/grandkids around too often. He likes the quiet and it was more his place then hers.
I hope they don't regret getting rid of everything.

It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend and we don't have many plans. Looking forward to it.

Kim, That is terrible for your inlaws. Something like that happened here but basically it was letting some land flood to prevent damage to larger towns. I felt sorry for the people because a lot of these people had to move and lost their homes and they were poor so starting over is just unimaginable. Of course we don't hear anything about it now.

Cendrine, Oh why can't we have interesting restaurant choices like yall have. I don't even think most of the people even know how to pronounce quinoa so I am sure it will not be on any menus any time soon!

Yoga was enlightening again. I told the instructor about an experience I had a long time ago where I kind of felt like I "left my body" for a split second. I know that sounds super corny! But it was at the end, when you are in corpse pose and I just had this weird sensation and I can not explain it. As soon as it happened, I was back, so to speak ,but ever since then I have been trying to achieve that experience again (so I don't think I am crazy.:rolleyes:) When I reluctantly told her about that,(afraid she might think I am crazy:rolleyes:) she told me that is the nectar...I, at that moment, dismissed that kooky yoga talk because I guess I am just always cynical first and reflective second. But as I thought about it later I kind of got what she was talking about. Because I am chasing that feeling much like a bee would go from flower to flower or from my more cynical side a crack head chasing a high that they can't reach after the first time. <---sorry for the dark side.LOL
For me it is not spiritual at all and that may be why I am lacking the ability, Cendrine but since it has never been that way, I think it might could happen again. I hope yall don't think I am turning into one of those kooky yoga people! LOL

Anyhow I have rambled long enough...I hope yall all have beautiful weather this weekend. We are keeping our fingers crossed for rain. !!!

TTYL

Rachel, it's great that you are enjoying the yoga so much! Don't worry about what we might think, even though I'm pretty sure none of us think you are getting weird...lol!
We went and tried out the new restaurant for lunch today, I had a bowl of carmelized sesame onions, kale, brown rice and tempeh, dd had mac and cheese with a cheese sauce made from a vegan source, the pasta was made with quinoa flour! Ds had the seitan chicken nuggets which were very good and dh had a seitan burger with pesto and portabella... yummy and fun, all of it. And I tried the strawberry shortcake that used almond cream instead of conventional cream and custard, and all of it was sweetened with agave. Sorry you don't get fun places near you, Rachel!

Kim, loosing the cabin is awful! No compensation at all? We went on a bike ride as a family today, made me think of you runnung together. Thanks for pointing out that all the thinks you did to be involved in dd and ds' activities, though it was stretching you, was something you are glad you did. I need to keep that perspective, because that is why I'm doing it!

Hi Jo, you would have loved this restaurant! Next time you come down here I'll take you there!

Hi Patricia, what has been keeping you so busy? 8 hope fun stuff!

Well we ended up with an impromptu gathering on our backyard deck last night of some of our friends. Great fun but too late and too much wine! Had too get up early for the garage sale. Did squeeze in 4DS Bootcamp, this evening heading over to my sister's for my nephew's 8th birthday cake.

Cendrine, they will compensate for the cottage. The government is saying maybe next January, they have already received a small amount to use towards storage of items or alternate housing if it was a permanent residence. The money is from government disaster relief not insurance. Flood insurance is not available around here. People who lived there full time will get full value but cottages are considered "luxuries" and will not be given full replacement value. I don't think they know how much they will get yet.

Rachael just enjoy the yoga experience, it's neat to be trying out something different and all it has to offer.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back