STS 6 Month Alumni ***February 2012***

WTG on getting back into the swings of things Jo! Did you get the new workouts (Low Impact Series)?? Have you tried the cycling workout?

DH and I did STS disc #1 (ch/sh/biceps) today. First day of month 2 on the Jan 3 month LIS transformation rotation

I forgot to answer you Jo on TBL, I have been watching it this season. Lots of drama going on!!

I am flying, I fly from Toronto and then to Chicago. The resort is 90 mins outside of Chicago so have to decide if I will a shuttle (expensive!) or rent a car. DH had business meetings this week with some who lived a few minutes away from the resort at Lake Geneva. He told DH that it's beautiful and is well known for it's fitness facilities.

Thanks Kim! Yes I got the new LIS workouts and the spinning workout is the only one I've done. It's a killer and I think may be more intense then the RPM I do at the gym! LOL! I'm not joking! Did you enjoy doing Disc 1? I can ask since I did that on Monday! Tomorrow is Disc 3 for me which is the first legs workout and OMG I'm expecting to be feeling it over the weekend!!!! I'm thinking I might repeat week 1 just because of trying to get back into the swing of things. My cardio is obviously swinging back quickly and I'm hoping muscle memory will get me back in line. I'm not worried about lifting what I was lifting before but think it may be kind of an intro so to speak. I'm amazed how well my body is responding to a routine again. I don't think I can really express to you all how good I'm feeling...but it's like reengaging with an old friend! I know that sounds weird but I'm ecstatic to know I'm not as out of shape as I thought I was!!! Lesson learned - fitness is super important in our life and as long as you're not gone too long... it will welcome you back!!!

Actually I should say...fitness will welcome you back anytime! The difference is how long you're gone to bring yourself back up to speed! I've continued to do irratic workouts here and there so it's not like I gained a bunch of weight and can't move! My body is embracing the workouts since they have been such an important part of my life! I love feeling I'm alive again! The other thing is when I'm working out, I'm not inheritently interested in eating bad...but when I'm not working out is when I want to eat bad things. Do you guys find that true?

I'm so glad that it's easier than you thought, of course with a lifelong habit of working out your body is probably saying: finally....lol!
I think there is some truth to the eating well and working out connection, not sure why that is... thanks for reminding me of the juice recipe, I'll pick up some peppers this weekend. I enjoy peppers a lot, so I don't think it will be too peppery for me...;)

I'll hopefully have more energy this weekend to post, but just want to say it's energizing to have you back, Jo!

Wooo Weee!

Jo you have come back like a whirl wind and I think I can feel it all the way down here in Texas! I think in this trying time in your life getting back to what you love is obviously exactly what you need as oppose to letting go of all routine! You are such a burst of energy and fun! I love it!

I am sorry I have been so inconsistent with my posting! I guess I am soul searching and in doing so I have had my nose buried in books and making notes of the more questions than I have answers for! Now if only I could find someone to ask them to.:rolleyes:

My workouts are more on the yoga plane right now but I am delighting in all of yall's workout excursions! (Sorry Cendrine:(, I know that lack of energy in killing you)
I have been wrestling with the guilt of not doing my regular weight and cardio workouts on top of yoga but am really trying to give myself permission to take this time to really learn something about myself that I might not have been open to get without taking this time off. Sounds like you are getting some new things too Jo!

Kim-I am just so very excited for you! I am learning that I am enjoying this new more adventurous side of myself and I think you might get that same feeling from this your first trip to Chicago by yourself!

Cendrine-You will have to let me know how sgt. pepper works for your energy...My friend said she read an article about onions the other day and how people always attributed the mayo or the eggs in potato salad for getting them sick, but that more studies are coming out and saying that the onions are what may have caused it because they have the ability to draw sickness from the air...In saying that, also in the article it was said that if you are sick that you should cut an onion in half and place it on your nightstand and that during the night it will absorb what ever germs you might be putting out. I did not read the article so I am paraphrasing here...but I am not thinking that it meant that it would make you well but that it would just act sort of as a sponge so that you are not re-breathing the germs...I guess.:rolleyes::D I wish I had gotten to read the article.

Well I hope to be in more often but we are starting work next week and that will either make me less scattered and more organized with my time or I will just be more frazzled.;)

Love that our little group has stuck together for so long...Thanks for reminding us of the date Jo!!!

Goodness gracious, how did I get talked into letting dd have another sleepover??? 4 11 year old girls :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Were we really like that at their age.

Kim, of course we were!!! LOL! Remember, the girls are creating memories! I remember going to sleepovers where there were like 12 of us! My mom was never up for that many! LOL!

Disc 3 done today and I know I'll be walking funny tomorrow!! LOL! Oh girls, I did good, but remember the paper plate moves and putting the weights on the floor then picking them up? Well, I had to modify those! Couldn't get down that far and get back up! Again, not worried...as I said the other day, I'll repeat week 1 and know I'll do better next week. I would say I was 80% on the workout having to modify here and there and again, lower my weights a little! Nothing makes me happier than having DOMS in my BUTT! I hurt everywhere after this week and am loving every minute of it!

Rachel, don't feel bad at all about focusing on Yoga right now (NO GUILT ALLOWED). Trust me, it's good for the body to breakout into other genres. You might find out this is a better place for you and there's nothing wrong with that! It's all experimentation and finding out what really clicks with you both mentally and physically. It's part of that journey! Speaking of soul searching...that's a never ending process. If you have anything you want to share I would love to hear it or discuss! I'm on the eternal soul searching quest myself so am alway interested in perspectives and discussion.

Okay, got to go fix some tea for my poor sick DH! Talk to you all tomorrow!

Oh Rachel...I wanted to tell you the pepper juice is energizing! (I sure hope that's Cendrine experience!) DH always says it energizes him. Today I made DH this juice and he said he could immediately feel it making him feel better. Remember he's really sick!

beets
carrots
red peppers
granny smith
1/2" ginger

I made enough for both of us just because I love it! I love juicing! It's so cleansing. It's the kale lemonade though that DH says is like a shot of expresso! I don't feel that so much because I eat cleaner than him most of the time, but I do love it! That's my favorite!

Tomorrow I'm supposed to do one of the Drill Max premixes so that will really tell me how well I'm doing cardio wise! Stay tuned...I'll let you know how I do! LOL!

Rachel, I'd love to hear what you are thinking about too! I find it is hard to find people to talk to about things without them shoving their opinion down your throat, so I end up not discussing my thoughts a lot except with Dh... talk away!
Jo, I'm sure the juices are what's helping me build up my energy again! I love beets in my juice too, and I always juice up a bunch of greens with whatever else I put in. My whole family is having juice at lunch every day, amazing that they just went with it! DD actually likes the juices better than the Smoothies because I'd doesn't have all the fiber...

It's funny, Jo, I have had to modify the paperplate moves\pick up weights off the floor still get plenty of sore muscles...

I always regret agreeing to sleepovers, Kim! Lol! Hang in there!

I didn't get to do my workout today! I forgot this was hair day and then we had friends come by, went out to dinner, and am now just settling in for the first time today. But I will say this...mama mia my glutolas are tender - YOWZA!!! I could barely get out of the chair at the salon! LOL! So I guess today was my rest day instead of tomorrow!

Yeah Cendrine, like you said, you don't have to move much for sore muscles! LOL! That's awesome you got the whole family juicing! Isn't it wonderful? Talk about trying to discuss some of those "searching" issues or questions with DH, he listens to me but isn't really interested in some of those conversations I want to have. So he politely listens until I'm done talking and when I say "what do you think?" he says I don't know. HA HA! He tells me he doesn't wonder about stuff I wonder about! Sigh...at least he listens...not much coming back, but he listens!

Let me tell you how awesome my leg DOMS are. The good thing about not working out for a while and then doing Disc 3 (modified as it was) is this:

I modified several exercises (like paper plates)
I went lighter on weights

BUT...I feel every muscle in my legs!! I am sore in my butt, upper butt, inner thighs, outer thighs, thutt, quads, hams, and calves!

Yes girls, that workout truly hits ALL those muscles. Loving every minute of it! So happy to be feeling this way! LOL!!!

4 day weekend for me!! Monday is a holiday here (Louis Riel day) and I took Tuesday as a vacation day. We have been in our house one year and so the building company is coming on Tuesday to do some drywall touchups which they do on every house at the one year. So nice to have a few days off work, I've been working fulltime since Sept (except for our vacation) and I've worked parttime since ds was born so it's been a change for me!

Friday night and Saturday were super busy but now I can relax! Friday DH and I did STS #5 Legs, ds's hockey practice and dd had her friends over. Saturday dd's friend were here till noon, ds had curling and a hockey game. DH and I did Afterburn.I had to get groceries and clean the house as we had friends coming over Saturday night. I had the jury over for a one year reunion, we only had a small group but it was fun!

Jo I am finding the meso 1 workouts a challenge! STS#1 has all those killer pushups! DH is still complaining about his chest DOMS! I always find that I eat better if I am working out.

Rachael Don't feel guilty about not doing regular workouts we all have to listen to our bodies. You have done such intense workouts very consistently and it's time for a change, that's okay! Feel free to use us a sounding board anytime!

Cendrine I survived the sleepovers. They actually were well behaved. They just get so giggly/silly and they kept breaking out in spontaneous songs?? DD has really made such good friends at this new school and they seem like such nice famiiles.

Can I do a little mommy brag? So ds is in his first year of high school (Grade 9). The high school had a orientation for the grade 8 students/parents at the local middle school who will be attending the high school in the fall. The principal asked ds to come speak at the orientation to give a student's view. Of course ds jumped at the chance. (If someone asked me to public speak, I DO NOT jump at the chance, hate public speaking!!) So DH and I drove him there on Wed. and stayed to listen. He was so funny, gets up there and talks away about the different classes, tells the kids they have to get more serious about their homework, work hard, listen in class, etc. and to join lots of clubs and get involved. :rolleyes::rolleyes: The parents and teachers loved him, I'm not so sure about the other kids,LOL. He is just such an ambitious, over the top kind of kid, I swear he is going to be the Prime Minister of Canada one day.

Long post from me today, sorry. Yesterday I downloaded, the ebook, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle, and plan to read it over the next few days. Anyone read it??
Not much on the agenda today some reading and a workout. DH and I told the kids we would go out for dinner as a family, as a valentine's treat but haven't gone yet. DD wants to try out a new Mexican restaurant.

Jo, I can feel your pain! I am so happy you are back to working out, it's fun hearing your editorials of each one! I hope to hop back on the workout wagon on Tues. I had a Sgt pepper yesterday, got some really spicy Ginger! I'm making another today. Tomorrow we are going on a fieldtrip to the mountains for a revolutionary war reenactment, should be fun. But won't have time to work out.

Kim, you can be so proud of your kids! I'm glad DD made such good friends! I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ds ended up prime minister!
I read bffm when I did sts the first time, it was a fascinating read and I lowered my body fat % way down doing it, but am now not into it. I think you will like reading it!

Oh Kim, I am proud of your DS as if he was my own! I truly enjoyed reading your post and mommy bragging is absolutely allowed!!!!! He sounds like such a joy! I'm sure you go through as many moments of amazements as you do "thank goodness!!!" LOL!!! I thank you for sharing in these joys with us! I rejoice in the wonderful relationship you have with him and hope it continues! Is he doing any other sports besides hockey? I hope he's interested in running with you and DH!

Cendrine, I'm so glad you did the Sgt Pepper and hope it's helping you!!

Today (since I had to switch my rest day), was Drill Max scrambled eggs and then Abs circuit weights and plates. I'll confess here. I did scrambled eggs but had to modify some of the high impact. I'm still feeling cement feet, but I kept going.... I did the weights part of Abs but couldn't do the plates (paper plates). I'm truly happy with the progress I'm making but wish I could do more. On another note; I can see why people unfamiliar with Cathe would get frustrated. Since I know Cathe I know how to modify, but if I didn't it might be very frustrating.

Wow our thread is really moving along with you back Jo!
I am telling you, things are changing around here at a rapid pace and I am just trying to keep my head above water!
My friend that we went to see in Mexico is a vegetarian so she made a lot of effort for DH to have things there that he liked to eat but she also integrated her regular food into our meals. DH being how he is, he would try to eat anything offered because he is a good guest.
Well I did not think anything of that and then we got home and Forks over Knives had come in our netflix. I thought this would just go right past him, he being the meatatarian ( as he likes to call himself). After it was over he told me he wanted to tr a plant based diet!:eek: I think I was thrown back about 50 feet from the shock! So now my challenge is trying to figure out how I can introduce him to foods he might previously have not had a good experience with. Plus I have to figure out something that I can pack in his lunch that will keep well and that he will want to eat cold! Tough stuff for me but hopefully this is going to stick and be a learning experience for me too!

I have some other things going on too that I would like to mull over with ou guys but am out of time for the time being.
I will be back later to hash it out better.

Kim-I second Jo...Having no kids of my own I am delighting in the accomplishments of yours, not to mention that I am delighting in your pride too. Never stop bragging. I love hearing about how great your kids are in all their little ways!

Cendrine-How are the juices working for your energy? I think DH might be promptly getting a juicer! He has been reading up on juice cleanses and fasting all weekend.:rolleyes: Like I said up there^ I hope this sticks. He likes convenience and since he does not eat many veges yet, I think he might have a hard time in the beginning.

Jo-You are just kicking butt on those workouts!!!
I am impressed with how fast you got back into a routine! I love hearing the excitement!

K gotta go but I will be back soon!

Goodness changes seem to be happening! I love hearing everyone's stories as life is everchanging! This season appears to be a time of discovery and change for many of us in this group!

Cendrine Did you get a chance to squeeze in a workout today?? How did that field trip go yesterday, sounds very interesting!! The area you live in sure offers many different opportunites doesn't it? Did you change your diet at all after reading BFFM?

Jo Glad to hear you rejoicing in those DOMS! What a great spirit you have about regainin your fitness level. DS is also curling every Saturday. He wants to do the half marathon with me in June. We did a 6 mile run together yesterday!:D:D I love running with him, he keeps me entertained but lets me pick the route/pace. :cool:

Rachael WOW, on the new diet for DH! I can just imagine your shock! I have made so many diet changes in the 3 years that I have check in with all you healthy eaters but I'm still so behind all of you. We are much more likely to eat fish, smoothies, big salads, drink green tea and less often I'm cooking up a store bought lasagna:eek::eek: after work but there is still so much I don't know. I can't even imagine the research it must take to switch to a plant based diet from our normal diet.

As I said previous, ds and I did a 6 mile run outside yesterday and then today I did Athletic Training and a 1.5 mile run on the tm for some speed work. I'm sort of stuck in the den at home, as the drywall guy is here, and the den is about the only room that doesn't need some touch ups so I was forced to finish my scrapbook of 2011 pictures! He turned the heat up to get the drywall to dry faster. I hate being hot, I disliked scrapbooking, I hate messes in my house. Overall I would prefer being at work.

Kim, I know exactly what you feel like! I was in that boat last year when we got the house painted.... I am such a routine animal, it's annoying sometimes. Lol!
I have been on the T-Mobile the last two days, but have not got around to weights yet, gotta work on that... I love that you can work out with your kids, it's such a nice thing to keep you connected! As far as bffm goes, I was a bit more conscious of adding healthy fats, I've focused on high protein prior to reading the book but hadn't focused so much on the mealfrequency, so I worked on that. I think the best thing I took with me from the book is the food rating and trying to keep things as unprocessed as possible. I am so far off the page with protein now though, I think I probably have animal protein once a week and of course my diet is much lower in protein now. But I have to say I feel healthier this way. Store bought lasagna make it into our freezer too, Costco has an organic veggie lasagna everyone likes, it works for those days when you just can't or don't want to cook anything...

So I just got a birthday invitation for dd to a party for a new girl in the girlscout group. We've only met once so far and the party is a drop off, with the guests getting chauffeured by limo to an American girl party in LA... sounds great, but would you let your 5 yr old go with you not knowing the host? I was laughing to myself, cause I was this king, at least I know the. Omitted has been background checked by girlscouts... lol!

Rachel, what a fun change for you and Dh! Have you figured out how to transition and make lunches that work? I'd love to hear what you try out!

Jo, how's your lowner body feeling this week?

Oh girls, lots to talk about! I messed up my final paper that I planned to have done on Sunday and just finally submitted it today. (Tomorrow is the deadline.) This is not like me (as I’m an earlier finisher) but I think I’ve had focus issues since getting laid off. As weird as it sounds, I’ve had trouble being focused and on a routine so lots of things I’m normally on top of…well I’m NOT!

So paper finally submitted today. I missed workouts Monday and Tuesday (because of paper) but not putting pressure on myself to keep a specific schedule. I should have done Meso 1 Disc 1 again on Monday but just did it today. I’m not worrying about it! My paper is 25 pages long so lots of rework…oh and then after I submitted it I discovered my table of contents was messed up! So had to redo that!

Kim, you hit it on the nail when you said a time of discovery and changes! Oh my goodness is that ever true! Again, please keep bragging about the kids! I feel like the virtual Aunt and love that you share these new experiences in growth and amazement! You too Cendrine! You both deal with the everyday stresses of being parents, and though I dealt with this with SS, it’s not entirely the same!

Rachel, OMG OMG about DH and plant food! Just to give you a heads up. My experience with DH when I originally went to this a few years back was 6 weeks. He was extremely committed for about 6 weeks and then got bored with it. Though he tells everyone how clean he eats now, he’s really about 60% of what I’d like him to be. Again, probably like you, no pressure from me; I continue to eat like this 90% of the time, but he just doesn’t. He loves his soft pretzels, grilled ribs, steaks, and homemade sausage mcmuffins. But if you ask him…he eats pretty darn healthy! LOL! I’m hope your DH sticks with it!!

Cendrine, I’m sorry but I wouldn’t feel comfortable about the whole drop off situation without knowing the host. Your sweet baby girl is too precious and I know what a darling she is!!! You need to follow your gut on this, but I don’t like it! (Am I being overprotective of your DD?) It’s probably fine. But, I’m just saying. Maybe you should make more contact with them to get a better sense of safety. Again, I’m so happy you’re enjoying your juicer!!

Alright so here’s the rundown of today: am repeating Week 1 again. Today was Disc 1 (chest, shoulders, biceps). I was very happy as on some of the moves I used the original weight (better than last week) but still struggling with others. I’m being extremely careful with shoulder weights so as not to reinjure my shoulders so going as low as 3 lbs on some moves (I know wimpy). But what I like with the lower weights is I’m using impeccable form. I’m extremely pleased with the progress I’m making! Also did ABS with no equipment needed and again was much improved. Still struggling on rope maneuver but kicking A$$ on obliques! Yahoo I’m so happy to be back on track!!!! Okay, not back on but making progress towards being back on!! LOL!!

Oh and after that long post that I thankfully didn't lose, I forgot to tell you this. The other reason I missed workouts on Monday is I met with a recruiter and also with a guy I network with that is starting a new company. I would love to go do this startup but would need to go as much as a year without income...Jo no can do...but Jo really wishes she could do as he's got a GREAT concept that I think is a money maker. The recruiter has a fantastic position that I'm keeping my fingers crossed will get me an interview. So girls, please think positive thoughts that I'll get this interview!!!

Okay, enough talk from me tonight. Tomorrow is Imax 2 and hoping to do better than last week! (I'm sure I will!) and looking to losing a few pounds to make my business pants more comfortable!!! Long live calorie burning!!! LOL!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.