Stressed out about Eating!

I have made myself crazy worrying over number of calories, Carbs, fat I eat. The limited variety of food I've been told to eat is making me no longer enjoy food or meal time. How close of a regiment (ie: specific number of calories should I follow to obtain a six pack without making myself crazy counting every calorie and fat gram? Where is the balance between enjoying food again and staying lean. I have adopted a clean way of eating which includes lots of chicken, fish and salads and "good carbs". But for variety sake, is it O.K. to have a sandwich once or twice a week if other meals remain "clean"? How much does doing the right exercises play a part in finally obtaining the cut physique which you have, Cathe. I know it takes both eating right and exercise to achieve my goals, Is there a formula or a general rule to follow so I don't have to right calories down after every meal? HELP!!!!!

Continuing in this vein is driving you to distraction. Stop counting calories, NOW!

Of course you can have sandwiches, daily if you like. What on earth is wrong with a sandwich? I just don't get it. This "low carb" or even "no carb" craze is unhealthy. You take a couple of slices of wholewheat or wholegrain bread, add a smal amount of an olive-oil based spread, fill the sandwich with some tuna, tinned salmon, chicken, lean ham, whatever: add tomato slices, some lettuce, etc and you have a healthy meal. Top it off with a side salad, a yogurt and an orange and blast those "low carb" people out of the water.

Don't think "calories", think eating for health and energy.

Each meal should contain a lean protein of meat, fish or eggs, or a pulse like beansd or lentils. Then add several servings of vegetables. make your plate colourful to receive the full compliment of vitamins your body needs. The more colours, the better. Finsih with yoghurt and/or fruit. And since you are burning many calories with a high energy Cathe rotation, allow yourself a healthy snack or two at various points in the day: a handful of peanuts, fruit, crackers with peanut butter, whatever suits you.

Carbs are not bad for you: ridiculous notion.

The only "carbs" to avoid are those that are also high saturated fat items: cake, cookies, some junky pizzas, etc.

Eating should be a pleasure and to fuel the body, not tie your mind in knots with prohibitions and restrictions that send you straight to the freezer for ice cream for comfort!

Clare

I agree with Clare. Its not hard to eat healthy, just be smart about it. Of course if you have a sandwich with a ton of mayonnaise and white bread with fatty processed deli meats, that is NOT a good choice. But do what Clare says and eat with some thought is a good choice. Balance is the key, eat lots of fruits and veggies and you can't go wrong. There are so many clean foods out there, you just have to find them. Carbs are not bad, proteins are not bad and even good fats are not bad. As a matter of fact, good fats help you lose weight. Read labels and choose wisely.

Clare's advice is excellent, follow what she says and you can't go wrong.

What is a good olive-oil based spread that you have found to be yummy on sandwiches Clare? I use light mayo, but your suggestion sounds even better, and tastier! Enough to top the sandwich off and make it a wholesome delicious meal!

Thanks! :)

I have been adding a bit of homemade guacolome to my Turkey/cheese sandwiches and it is so good..... good fat in avacados.

I just made a sandwich of tuna (with Hellmanns canola mayo.....just a little) , lots of crunchy celery in there...on whole grain bread and added tomato slices and spinach....am having some l/f cottage cheese and an apple for a healthy, filling lunch.

STOP DEPRIVING YOURSELF!!!
The Atkins/Low Carb thing is OVER!!!

veggies are carbs, you wouldn't neglect veggies would you? its those sugar filled and processed carbs that are no good. white bread,white pasta, etc. i rarely eat bread myself only b/c in my area is hard to find anything 100% wheat. my sister actually had to bring me down some when she came for a visit. i eat alot of oatmeal or any cereal with bran for the fiber. i eat a lot of veggies(acutally enjoying a healthy serving of raw carrot sticks right now) which have carbs. i am not worried about how much carbs i eat i worry about how much junk i eat.

i also always read labels for ingredients and nurtients b/c you will be surprised how much is junk and what is worth it.
i must steal a line from denise austin when she said "its quality, not quantity". plus its hard to over eat on the good for you food so you will always feel satisfied and a little treat now and then is okay, just in moderation. and the same goes for exercise. don't kill yourself over it, but really focus on the time you have to exercise by making every rep count and focus on that muscle. just keep working out and keep focus and you will see a change not jsut in the body but your spirit as well. i always found when you focus on gaining strength and setting reasonable goals,instead of the weight, you will be more focused and have more fun, then the weight will come off. exercise should be fun not a chore, and so is eating.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

In place of butter, I use either Olivio or Fleishmanns made with olive oil.

I don't use mayo, except in egg salad sandwiches, and then I always use the low fat: same difference to me.

Something else you might try and which I used to love when I lived in Spain: rather than use butter or any spread, use a little olive oil to coat the bread and rub a clove of garlic on the bread on top, then add your fillings. This works better with French baguette style bread, which you can get in wholewheat too, or with those Italian rustic breads which are not pre-sliced. A very soft, pre-sliced loaf might fall apart from garlic rubbing!

If you are having canned salmon or tuna, you don't need any mayo or anything similar because the fish is moist: tomato slices added would add extra moisture so it's not like chewing a piece of cardboard. But chicken might need a little help in this department: I dunno, I never eat it!m You could also try drizzling a few drops of your fave salad dressing on the bread, especially if it too is made with a heart friendly oil, to add extra moisture to the sandwich.

Clare

I put sundried tomatoes, a little garlic and basil (pesto-esqe) in a blender with olive oil and use it as a spread for grilled zucchini sandwhiches. Yummy!

L

MMMMMMMMMMMMM L ,

I have to try that! That sounds HEAVENLY!!!!!:9

I should add that when I make tuna salad (on bread or over lettuce) I never add mayo unless I am also making for dh, cuz he's gotta have the mayo. But lowfat is just as good tasting as full fat. So just don't use alot , and I figure it's fine to eat that way once in a while.;-)

A couple of flavorful spread ideas: mix your favorite mustard with a little honey for a spicy/sweet treat; mix lowfat mayo with anything you like: chopped sundried tomatoes, chopped roasted red peppers, chives, mustard, or my favorite - wasabi powder! Yummy!!!!! Just think of your favorite flavors and then let your imagination run wild!!

Hi Connie,

You are making your eating plan too hard on yourself. There are some good words on this post; take note of them or you will set yourself up for failure. Give yourself permission to explore some healthy options and don't be unforgiving of a few splurges. Do some research on the web for healthy recipes or start a thread (or a search) in the open discussion forum.

This post has made me hungry :p. I'm going to try one of those veggie sandwiches.

Have a yummy day,
jordan

actually... in regards to mayo.... the full fat is better than the reduced fat.. cuz if you check the label... when they reduce the fat.. they add SUGAR...

so i use REAL may.. but carefully measure it! no globs on my sandwich... but a teaspoon adds enuf flavor for me!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Don't think "calories", think eating for health and energy

Excellent advice, Clare!

While reducing caloric and fat intake is important, it is even more important that you are eating the right foods. This includes GOOD carbs. Whole grains from brown rice, whole wheat breads (go ahead and eat that sandwich!), etc will help give your body the energy it needs to do workouts as tough as Cathe's.

GREAT DIPS..... hmm.... some of them that I TREMDNDOUSLY enjoy that are even healthy are:
Hummus (tastes just like bean dip)!!!
Tofu Pate (for veggie dip)

I eat these things and totally feel like I am being bad! I love to spead hummus in whole wheat tortillas and heat them up! They taste just like bean burritos with a hint of garlic flavor! Hummus is made out of garbanzo beans.... so it's good for you. I don't care too much for tofu' but a brand named "Toby's" has come out with a jalepeno dip called "tofu pate". The dip tastes like deviled egg feeling. Anway... just some dip info!

If it's not something you can do for the rest of your life, I ask, "Why do it?" I'm doing Weight Watchers and love it because I will be able to stick with this for the rest of my life . . .especially since there are two different programs I can switch between.

Good luck with whatever you choose . . .

Chrissy

If it's not something you can do for the rest of your life, I ask, "Why do it?" I'm doing Weight Watchers and love it because I will be able to stick with this for the rest of my life . . .especially since there are two different programs I can switch between.

Good luck with whatever you choose . . .

Chrissy

I totally agree with Chrissy.... if you can't stick w/it for your life, you're wasting your time and will just live a vicious cycle! Diets do not work! Well, they do.... for a short time... but as soon as you begin eating again, you'll gain pounds. It is so much easier to just eat a well balanced diet. Stop counting carbs/calories etc. Just get plenty of fresh fruits/veggies/good carbs(oats/whole wheat breads/beans) and good fats (olive oil/avocado/peanut butter/nuts)etc. Long term, you will keep your weight off by eating this way,.... and avoid mood swings, along with depression! Also, treat yourself once a week or twice a week! Don't deprive yourself. Keep plenty of healthy snacks around the house like crackers, rice cakes, natrual peanut butter, nuts, trail mix, applesauce, raisins... etc. Good nutrition is a wondeful thing and there are so many good and wholesome options! Learn how to spice up your foods (cocoa powder in your oatmeal........ extracts in your fruit smoothies........ pure fruit jelly on your toast..... DON'T neglect flavors with your food or you'll drive yourself crazy. KEep popcorn around also! Well, I could go on and on... just remember... do something that you can ultimiately live with! You'll be healthier in the long run and have more energy. Also, yo-yo dieting causes cellulite and will slow your metabolism down! If you do your cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, you'll burn fat most efficiently.... then just eat lots of whole foods. Good luck!

I totally agree with Chrissy.... if you can't stick w/it for your life, you're wasting your time and will just live a vicious cycle! Diets do not work! Well, they do.... for a short time... but as soon as you begin eating again, you'll gain pounds. It is so much easier to just eat a well balanced diet. Stop counting carbs/calories etc. Just get plenty of fresh fruits/veggies/good carbs(oats/whole wheat breads/beans) and good fats (olive oil/avocado/peanut butter/nuts)etc. Long term, you will keep your weight off by eating this way,.... and avoid mood swings, along with depression! Also, treat yourself once a week or twice a week! Don't deprive yourself. Keep plenty of healthy snacks around the house like crackers, rice cakes, natrual peanut butter, nuts, trail mix, applesauce, raisins... etc. Good nutrition is a wondeful thing and there are so many good and wholesome options! Learn how to spice up your foods (cocoa powder in your oatmeal........ extracts in your fruit smoothies........ pure fruit jelly on your toast..... DON'T neglect flavors with your food or you'll drive yourself crazy. KEep popcorn around also! Well, I could go on and on... just remember... do something that you can ultimiately live with! You'll be healthier in the long run and have more energy. Also, yo-yo dieting causes cellulite and will slow your metabolism down! If you do your cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, you'll burn fat most efficiently.... then just eat lots of whole foods. Good luck!

>If you do your cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the
>morning, you'll burn fat most efficiently....

is this really true? i find i workout better if i eat something small first (packet of instant oatmeal, fruit, 1/2 energy bar, etc) why does your body burn fat more efficiently on an empty stomach? just wondering about this, thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.