strength or cardio 1st?

jbabefit

Cathlete
Hey Cathe and everyone!

Awhile ago someone had asked what are you suppose to do first to effectively burn fat if you had to do them both the same day, back to back.....strength training or cardio? And Cathe had answered with her professional words of wisdom, and explained why you do one before the other. I think it had something to do with the advantages of burning fat vs. burning sugar; why one was recommended to do before the other. But I can't seem to track down that thread to pass on the wonderful advise to my sister. Cathe, would you mind sharing that helpful information again? ;) Or do any of you know where I could find that thread????

I appreciate it!!!! Thank you so much! :7 :7 :7

I'd like to know the thoughts on this as well!!

A friend of mine says weight first (to burn off glycogen stores)...that way you are burning fat when you do your cardio...
but I just read in a fitness magazine to do cardio first. Confusing!

thanks in advance,

Jamie

if i workout in the morning i am not really awake to get a good workout with upper body so i do cardio,then weights. if its later in the day,weights then cardio.

laura

I'm not sure what is the "right" way, but I do weights first and then cardio. Since changing to that order, I am not even close to as sore the next day, something about the cardio getting rid of whatever acids are in your muscles after weights that make you sore.

I always do cardio first. In my (potentially flawed) logic, this is b/c I get my heart rate up & then when I'm weight training I can still keep it up to some extent, thereby burning a little extra fat.

Also I like to thoroughly warm up my muscles before I lift, which cardio definitely helps do.

I've heard different theories on this & I think it also depends on your goals. Some trainers will tell you to do cardio second so you don't exhaust your muscles & get the most effective weight training workout. But, by the same logic, if the most effective cardio workout is your priority, then you should do cardio before weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.