stomach skin sag

babyd

Cathlete
Hello everyone. I am currently 30 and 4/7 weeks pregnant. This is my first. I will be 30 years old. I am trying to get a realisitic mind set with regards to post pregnancy tummy appearance. I should preface this with how much Dr.90210 I have been watching lately. Anyhow, I am wondering about how I can expect to look immediately after delivery (or should I say when I leave the hospital) and if anyone wouldn't mind sharing their experience regarding saggy tummy skin after having babies. How did you get rid of it and do you feel like you reached the level you were pre-preggo? I know Cathe bounced right back and I have never heard of her having any plastic surgery-just good old fashioned hard work and dedication. Thanks in advance.

Right out of the hospital you'll still need maternity clothes. You'll probably look at least a few months pregnant for a few weeks. At least I did. It takes a while for your uterus and organs to move back to where they belong and you skin will be loose. Give yourself time...every body is different and genetics will probably play a role, but don't expect it to ever really look the same. Although diet and exercise can help it look better, I don't think I'll ever be as tight...maybe in a few more years down the road though when I'm done with kids. I've only had a few years between mine so maybe my body will take a little longer to tighten up when I'm done? Here's to hope! Who knows, but it's all worth it. At least that's my experience.

Lindzebird
DS 12/21/02
DD 6/12/05
expecting 2/07

Thanks for replying. I was afraid you might say that. At least I can start to have realistic expectations about post delivery. I would love to imagine that once the baby is out everything goes right back to normal. I am afraid that normal for me may not be the same based on what some women have shared with me. I want to be realistic about all of this and lately I am really starting to have some emotion roller coaster rides about the whole thing. How did Cathe do it?? She looks the same if not better than before her pregnancies.

I will be 30 in a few months, and we just had our first about 9 months ago. While I was a little disappointed that I still looked somewhat pregnant for a few weeks after delivery. I was actually surprised how quickly my body changed while working out, dieting and nursing. I will say my stomach is still not the same, but I didn't really expect it to be. But I am a couple pounds lighter than before the baby. We will see if the stomach ever goes back, I have heard and I am crossing my fingers that it is true, that your belly loses a little more after you completely wean, which we are just starting now. Good luck and try not to worry too much about it. I did throughout my pregnancy and it robbed me of enjoying the experience. Also, I think I am more proud of my body now than I have ever been. It was able to make and deliver a perfect little baby and bounce back to a pretty good state relatively quickly.

I am 35 and had my first child 7 weeks ago by c-section. I totally looked 6-7 months preggo the first 2 weeks after delivery. By the 3rd week I didn't look pregnant but my midsection was and is considerably thicker. My skin on my stomach is loose, but it's not saggy. I just got cleared to workout last week and I can already see & feel a slight difference in my abs.

You can read how Cathe got back in shape here http://www.cathe.com/2002_After_Baby2.htm. If the link doesn't work, just go to cathe's home page and scroll down to behind the scenes and click on the intensity series. She even struggled with the last 10-15 pounds.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Karen

I appreciate all of the feedback. I feel a little selfish about having these intense concerns instead of focusing more on the amazing task my body is doing however I keep thinking about the same things. Again, thanks for sharing your personal stories.

Dont feel guilty about the way you feel, I'm sure every women goes through the same thing. . .I know I did. I just had my first son on Oct 22, 2006 by c-section. . DONT FREAK OUT after. Your stomach will be swollen and your uterus will still be enlarged, but after a week or so IT WILL begin to go down. I just started working out this last week and with nursing my stomach is slowly but surely deflating. I've still got 20 pounds to lose but I lost 20 almost immediately, and my son was underweight at 4 pounds 5 ounces, so it will happen just dont expect too much to fast. . .good luck and congrats. Have fun with it while it lasts, I hated being pregnant the entire time, and now I catch myself talking to my tummy and wishing I was pregnant again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.