Stick-shift

danzakcpa

Cathlete
Any tips out there on how to master driving a manual transmission? Any pointers would help, biggest problem, getting out of first gear comfortably. Thanks!!!

Robin

Practice, practice, practice. It's all in learning the feel of the clutch vs. the gas. If you're having issues getting out of first gear - and end up bunny hopping around a lot - try releasing the clutch more slowly. Better to rev the engine a bit then to bunny hop. One tip a former valet told me while I was trying to teach DD17 to drive clutch - keep the heel of your left foot on the floor at all times - move only from the ankle. You won't get as tired, and you'll have more control. That really helped with DD17.

Oddly enough, after 10 years of driving automatics, I went back to a manual, even with the commute I have. I just like the control it gives me. And when I'm stuck in traffic, it gives me something to do other than curse at the other drivers... :+

My mom always used to say, "Give it gas!" Getting a manual into gear is a concurrent process - you have to gently rev the engine while while at the same time, equally gently letting up on the clutch until the car is safely in gear.

It does take practice, but at some point, it will "click" and you'll get it. I recommend practicing in a large, empty parking lot somewhere. I've been eyeing the lot at a big synagogue nearby as a possible practice area for when my oldest is ready to drive.

(My left foot is too small to keep on the floor at all times - but that is good advice.)

Thanks to both of you for the advice; I can get it out of first, but I want to do it faster! Also, any advice on downshifting, is it good to downshift or just pop it in neutral, I have heard conflicting points on this. Good point on the left heel always being on the floor.

Robin

Robin:

As my dad told me when I was 16, and he brought home a new car that was a stick, "take the back roads". I had never driven a stick before and had 15 minutes to get to work. Now, 25 years later, I absolutely love driving a stick. It is so much fun. With practice, you will get the hang of it. By next week, I bet you will be a pro.

Good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.