steroid shot for PF

libra01971

Cathlete
I have been dealing with PF for a while now. I recently bought orthotics and haven't really given them too much of a chance yet, honestly. Still, my podiatrist told me that she could also do a steroid shot that would help. Because of my fear of needles, I instantly said NO!

However, I am so tired of running with pain but I love running so much that I do not want to take time off. Some days are good and some are bad. I never run 2 days in a row because usually I am limping around for about 24 hours. Often, my heart rate is really low because I know I am capable of running a lot faster but my darn foot is slowing me down, literally.

So, I am wondering if anyone here has had a steroid shot for PF. If so, how much did it hurt? Did it help? And...well, do you think you have a high pain threshold or are you a weenie like me? :p

Laura,

I have had steroid shots in my feet for PF. My feet were in such bad shape because I ignored my symptoms for far too long. I ended up with very long bone spurs in both heels because I waited too long for treatment. The shots hurt like heck, I had a series of 3, and they did help. I also had custom orthotics made. It has been about 5 years since and my PF seems to have cleared up. I remember it took a month or two for the pain to be completely gone and it also takes time for your feet to get used to the orthotics.

There is nothing worse than being crippled by your feet. I am dealing with another issue in my foot right now and am about to go insane. I say go for the shot.

Hi Laura,

I had a shot in my right foot a few years ago. It was good for a day and that was it. I didn't go back to do the other foot since it didn't work for me. The Dr. sprayed a topical numbing spray on my heel first then gave me the shot. The spray felt really cold and almost painful but I'm afraid of needles too so I preferred the topical to actually feeling the needle. For me the only thing that worked was constant stretching of the foot and achilles and time.

Tracy

i got a shot and it worked. no pain. also got it done by the cold spray. i continue to stretch and wear a boot because i'm afraid it might come back.i have read that cortizone shots don't last.

laura

I dealt with PF in both feet for about a year. I finally broke down and got a shot in each foot. My Dr. sprayed each foot 1st and then gave me the shot. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wish I would of done it sooner. Trust me, it's much better then living through the pain every day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.