Starting Again

Hey all,

I need some help.

I stopped exercising for awhile and now I've put on some weight. I want to start up again, but I'm not sure how to go - more cardio or more weights.

Any recommendations??

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl:

I'm in the same boat. Needed to get work done and stay sane, had to stop workouts for 3 months. Feel awful now, like a slug....

What I usually do when getting back is I don't think "cardio or weights?" I just think: move, do something, whatever you can bear to do, whatever you can manage, whatever has the best music and will get you up and started back. The first week I try to focus on FUN!

Often I choose Rhythmic Step for these reasons, or the Step from Cardio & Weights. If it is spring or summer, I choose powerwalking every time. So, focus on having fun, enjoying yourself, and adopt beginner's mind again. It won't be for long and then we'll both be lifting and jumping like we did several months ago.....

Clare

Good point Clare. I think I need to stop the pressure on myself and just do something.

The reason I stopped was my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I've just been overwhelmed and haven't been taking care of myself. I also feel guilty for any time I spend on myself, but I'm beginning to see that if I don't take care of myself, I can't take care of her.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your re-start!
Cheryl

Cheryl, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You're in the right mindset in that you definitely need to take care of yourself in order to be fully there for anyone else. That is not being selfish at all! :D

Personally, I find that when I do a combo of cardio and circuit-based workouts, it helps me shed fat and get some definition. I've gained 15 pounds since I started grad school last year and I'm finally trying to get back on the bandwagon. I've been doing 2 days circuit, 3 days cardio, and 1 day of total body strength training with one day off/stretch. It seems to be working well so far. HTH!!

I guess my real opinion on weight loss is get enough activity, don't over stress your self, and eat plenty of healthy foods. Allow yourself some treats that are important to you (whatever that is) to avoid feeling deprived and to help avoid binges. I do meditation to help with coping with stress.

My own current rotation breakdown:

Sunday: Rest
Monday: Kick boxing 30 min. + 20 min. of Yoga/body weight work with Shiva
Tuesday: Steady State Step 45 min to 60 min. (not more)
Wednesday: Walking or Hi/Lo 30 min. + 1 stretch max segment
Thursday: Cardio/Weights Ckt. (Cathe or Jillian)
Friday: Walking or Hi/Lo + Yoga Relax
Saturday: Rest

Cheryl- I'm sorry about your Mom. Its really hard to care for someone else and care for ourselves at the same time. You may find that exercise is a great stress reliever.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your prayers and suggestions. I was kicking around getting a gym membership, but I really like my Cathe DVDs. I'm just not always good about coming home and doing them.

I have done workouts the past two days and missed today but plan on going again tomorrow. I notice that my eating isn't great though. Gotta work on that too.

Good point Clare. I think I need to stop the pressure on myself and just do something.

The reason I stopped was my mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and I've just been overwhelmed and haven't been taking care of myself. I also feel guilty for any time I spend on myself, but I'm beginning to see that if I don't take care of myself, I can't take care of her.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your re-start!
Cheryl

Cheryl, your story is so very similar to mine. I stopped exercising almost 2 years ago. I had female problems at the time. My mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2012 and then I had a hysterectomy. Once I was cleared after 6 weeks, I spent about 6 months helping care for her. She had Whipple surgery (she couldn't tolerate chemo at all) and that is a really tough surgery to recover from. I did not take care of myself and I encourage you not to follow my example. I was in really good shape before all this and now I feel like a weakling. I just started working out again 3 weeks ago and I am starting easy so that I don't injure myself. Feel free to PM me if you want. Take care, Ginger!

Getting back into the habit

2013 was a stressful year for me too, and the workouts (taking care of self) always seem to go on the back burner. This summer I took my workouts outside biking, blading, walking, & swimming on my days off. As the days got shorter and colder I knew I wanted to get back to working out in the mornings before going to work, but my hours changed and I was not about to get up before 5am! Along came X10 and it was the perfect answer for getting me back to the morning workout habit.

In her workouts, Cathe frequently reminds us that "every rep counts". I take this thought a little further and say "every workout counts" for those weeks when I can only get 1 or 2 workouts in instead of 5 to 7. It's important to gain and then maintain muscle memory for those days when you have the time to do a rockin' workout. Flextrain, X10, and timesaver premixes from her other DVD's are perfect for that, and don't forget to pat yourself on the back for every workout you can fit in!

My suggestion don't over think "do I do cardio x amount or do I do weight x amount" I think you should do "what you love" make your workout the fun stress free part of your day to relearn the habit

The last time I fell off the wagon so to speak was 2012. My mom had cancer and my dad had a stroke 10 years ago, diabetic, dementia you name it he suffers from it. I moved them in with me since there home was 3 hours away. My mom survived but I'm still taking care of both of them just not in my own home. The stress of having them in my home along with my dh that hates how they use me depend on me and not my siblings anyway long crappy story.

I'm one of these when I get stressed I shut down. I started having weight fall off so I was looking good;) but I wasn't doing cardio, weights or eating enough and what I ate was coffee and junk. I started feeling like crap

When I started back it was just my favorite music and 3/4 miles walks for a couple of weeks then I started weight training. I didn't really get back to my high intensity stuff for a couple of months. I just started off slow gentle no stress fun cardio and weights. I didn't have any goals I just wanted to put me first after taking care of parents, 2 kids and a pouty pissed off dh.

So there is my no specific advise just find your happy to healthy. :D

Cheryl, your story is so very similar to mine. I stopped exercising almost 2 years ago. I had female problems at the time. My mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January 2012 and then I had a hysterectomy. Once I was cleared after 6 weeks, I spent about 6 months helping care for her. She had Whipple surgery (she couldn't tolerate chemo at all) and that is a really tough surgery to recover from. I did not take care of myself and I encourage you not to follow my example. I was in really good shape before all this and now I feel like a weakling. I just started working out again 3 weeks ago and I am starting easy so that I don't injure myself. Feel free to PM me if you want. Take care, Ginger!

Thank you for sharing your story Ginger. My mom couldn't have the Whipple done. Not sure why but that's what the doctor said. Chemo and radiation would do little and the doc said she had 6 mos or less. Since it was so difficult for her to get dressed and go to the hospital we decided on hospice. I can't imagine having to have an operation of my own during this time. Its hard enough trying to take care of my mom, figure out finances for the funeral, help my dad and figure out his finances. I'm just done. I have nothing left to give anyone...sometimes not even me.

So glad to hear you are making it back into the workout world, it gives me hope!

My suggestion don't over think "do I do cardio x amount or do I do weight x amount" I think you should do "what you love" make your workout the fun stress free part of your day to relearn the habit

The last time I fell off the wagon so to speak was 2012. My mom had cancer and my dad had a stroke 10 years ago, diabetic, dementia you name it he suffers from it. I moved them in with me since there home was 3 hours away. My mom survived but I'm still taking care of both of them just not in my own home. The stress of having them in my home along with my dh that hates how they use me depend on me and not my siblings anyway long crappy story.

I'm one of these when I get stressed I shut down. I started having weight fall off so I was looking good;) but I wasn't doing cardio, weights or eating enough and what I ate was coffee and junk. I started feeling like crap

When I started back it was just my favorite music and 3/4 miles walks for a couple of weeks then I started weight training. I didn't really get back to my high intensity stuff for a couple of months. I just started off slow gentle no stress fun cardio and weights. I didn't have any goals I just wanted to put me first after taking care of parents, 2 kids and a pouty pissed off dh.

So there is my no specific advise just find your happy to healthy. :D

WOW! There is alot you had going on. As I said to Ginger, I can't imagine going through this. You two ladies are amazing! Thank you for sharing your story. I understand the going back and forth to take care of your parents and having nothing left. I'm going to do that...find my happy way to healthy....I think that could become a new mantra for me :)

Thank you for sharing your story Ginger. My mom couldn't have the Whipple done. Not sure why but that's what the doctor said. Chemo and radiation would do little and the doc said she had 6 mos or less. Since it was so difficult for her to get dressed and go to the hospital we decided on hospice. I can't imagine having to have an operation of my own during this time. Its hard enough trying to take care of my mom, figure out finances for the funeral, help my dad and figure out his finances. I'm just done. I have nothing left to give anyone...sometimes not even me.

So glad to hear you are making it back into the workout world, it gives me hope!

Hang in there Cheryl. Although the doctor did get all of mom's tumor, she never fully recovered from surgery and did pass away November 2012. It's so very tough. Definitely reach out for encouragement. We will cheer you on in your efforts to stay healthy. That will definitely help you cope better. Ginger

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, my mom was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year. She was scheduled to have a Whipple last November but needed to go through a round of chemo and radiation first to help shrink the tumor since it was close to a vein. They didn't want to get in there and then not be able to do the procedure. The chemo and radiation did work but during that period of time she also developed a tumor in the tail of her pancreas so she was no longer eligible for a Whipple. Last Christmas she went all out because I think she believed that it was going to be her last.....however she is still here and fighting hard every day! She continues to do 2 weeks on 1 week off of chemo and she is doing really well with that.

Working out took a back seat, I would try and try but just couldn't get through a workout - then I received XTrain in the mail to start off the new year! It was my saving grace, I did the 90 day rotation and didn't miss one day. I felt better after working out - I think it was a huge stress reliever! Even though it is sooo hard to get back into a routine - it is so worth it! Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself, taking care of myself made it easier for me to handle everything that is going on with my mom, and to be there for her. Taking it one day at a time and enjoying the time that I do have is an easier task then thinking of the future.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.