Sport massage?

jcm

Cathlete
I've had a couple spa-type massages in the past, but wondering if I'd benefit from something like a sport massage. Been training for my first half marathon and did a 13 mile run yesterday. My race is May 28th and just experience general aches/pains associated with training. Does anyone know how these are different/what the benefits are and how to find a good person to do one? Was going to do it after the race but thinking maybe the benefit would actually be before.

Jen

It sounds like you could greatly benefit from a sports massage, esp w/ the aches you are experiencing from training. I've had sports massages and swedish massages and the masseuse doing the sports massage really gets those muscles good ;) It's not a massage you'd want to get to have a nice relaxing time like ones done at a spa. For me, the sports was actually a little uncomfortable but when it's over...wow your muscles feel great. If it was me, I'd get the sports done before the marathon and maybe a swedish done after to treat yourself. I've always had the sports massages done at the gym but any masseuse should be able to do it. HTH :)

Tracy

I just had a deep tissue massage last week and have wondering what the difference between sports and deep tissue would be. I didn't think to ask at the time because I didn't know about sports massage. It was my first massage ever.
I am in the beginning stages of training for my first marathon and am super tight even with stretching. I would love to know which would be best.
My experience was that the deep tissue was definitely intense, and I'm not sure I like the pressing and stretching that went on with my neck. It left my neck sensitive the next day and I don't think I would let that happen again.
Not a relaxing experience overall, and she mostly worked the stress knots in my upper back/neck even though I let her know how tight my legs are. She got to them but didn't spend as much time on them as I thought. I felt better the next day overall though.
What is a sports massage like?

Awful experience for me.

I had a pressure point and deep tissue massage and I regret it. Its been over a week and still feel a twinge of pain under my right clavicle and I am concerned that some damage was done. It was painful and I said to lighten up a couple of times. I also had bruising on my right calf muscle that showed up the next day. I have always used my Compex Sport for massage with great results, and I'll not repeat going to a massage *expert* again.

I've had a couple spa-type massages in the past, but wondering if I'd benefit from something like a sport massage. Been training for my first half marathon and did a 13 mile run yesterday. My race is May 28th and just experience general aches/pains associated with training. Does anyone know how these are different/what the benefits are and how to find a good person to do one? Was going to do it after the race but thinking maybe the benefit would actually be before.

Jen

I don't know about the massage part & don't know how much you would want to change anything before your race since it's so close, but in the future you may consider light rebounding. I only suggest because this is what I am going to do for enhancing recovery. I found it to be very beneficial, especially with non-localized general aches & pains and increase rate of recovery. Yes, that runner-like ache & pain. just a thought

:)

Thanks for the info so far! Deep tissue definitely sounds like it's NOT the way to go! And just wondering what Compex Sport and light rebounding are?

Jen

Whichever you decide (they both sound awesome to me), I would definitely research the masseuse you use. Those types of massages can sometimes cause more damage than anything if the person isn't hitting the muscles the correct way.

I personally wouldn't go to a spa to get either one done. I would use a masseuse who specializes and has advanced training in sports and deep tissue massages. If you happen to live in Southern New England, I can highly recommend someone to you! :D Good luck!

Thanks for the info so far! Deep tissue definitely sounds like it's NOT the way to go! And just wondering what Compex Sport and light rebounding are?

Rebounding on a mini trampoline, it's surely not the first thing someone would think of but it does work. It would not be a workout, 15 to 20 minutes would probably be enough, or ten minutes several times in the day depending on the onset of muscle soreness. (both before & after)

I used the rebounder for about three months this year 5-6 days per week, 30 minutes average at a time, it really did make a big difference especially with recovery time, without much effort and you get a light cardio benefit.

I much prefer the active recovery process to the static for overall comprehensive benefit. Just something that may help.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.