spinning shoes?

Repo

Cathlete
Does anyone know anything about shoes for spinning classes... brand.... sizing.... price? Help!!!

Unfortunately, I'm probably not much help. The bikes I use, have toe clips. I just use my regular toe clip bike shoes. But really any athletic shoe would work, with a toe cage. Wear your most comfortable athletic shoes. JMHO.

I tried cycling shoes. it was a TOTAL failure for me. I gave them away. they hurt and removed layers of skin from my toes in 30 minutes. It was so uncomfortable I almost gave up on spin. I wear running shoes and toe baskets. DH spins a lot too, and started wearing cycle shoes but has recently gone back to running shoes and toe baskets.

ETA we had to switch pedals when he wore the cycling shoes and I wore tennies. it was OK when we both wore the same thing, but changing pedals back and forth every time was a PITA. I'm glad we're wearing the same thing now. it was an extra step before every workout.

Last edited:
I use my cross trainers the same ones I wear for all my indoor cardio and I don't use the toe cage anymore. I did use it when I was a beginner but my foot/ankle alignment is off (my feet turn out a bit) I was having knee pain and once I started just riding like a regular bike no more issues.

I have Shimano WF23WP cycling shoes. They are more sneaker like than regular hard soled road bike shoes. I find them to be comfortable and coming from a background of road cycling .. many years ago (25!)... I feel more secure with cleats.
I recently started road riding again and use the same shoes for my road bike and for spinning. Go to a cycling shop if you're interested in making a cycling shoe investment and try on a few styles. You may prefer a mountain bike shoe over a road shoe.
Remember that you will need to buy the cleats, too.
Until then, any hard-soled sneaker will do just fine with the toe straps on the spinner. You may not even want to go beyond that. It's all fine.

Cost will be between $70 and $140 unless you can find a good sale.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link...what cleats do you recommend for a spin bike?

I think most spin bikes use the Shimano SPD system on the reverse side of their pedals. You can get a set of SPD cleats for about $15. They'll bolt right onto the soles of your cycling shoes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.