spinning and strength training

carochan

Hi Cathe,

I have been doing Pure Strength for the past few weeks and love it. I actually look forward to getting up early in the morning for my strength training! I just started doing heavier weight training recently (including Body Max and MIS) and I am very excited about your new DVDs. I don't even have a real DVD player - I do PS on my iMac!

Anyway, this morning I did SLA and then a few hours later went to spinning class. Since most people seem to see their legs getting smaller from spinning, I was wondering whether I would see less strength gains by doing spinning right after working my legs. In other words, am I undermining my results?

Thanks,
Caroline

Hi Caroline,
Thanks for posting this question. I am a beginner at spinning but have been biking(mountain and road) for years. I wouldve thought spinners would have large legs like avid bikers usually do but what do I know. I also strength train pretty hard so your question is very interesting to me.
Trevor :) :-jumpy

Hi Caroline! Everyone is so different so there is no way to really know for sure. When people double up workouts, many times the belief is that whatever you want your strongest focus to be, do first, as to not exhaust yourself of your full output. So in this case, if you are most concerned with gaining strength in your legs, I would continue as you are doing and put your leg workout first. Now if after doing this for a while you feel that the strength gains in your legs are suffering, then I would eliminate the spin class that follows your leg workout and rather do that class on another day. Good Luck!

Cathe,

Thanks so much for your reply. It's good to know that it's not necessarily bad to do spinning on my leg training days. I'll see how things go in the next few weeks.

Thanks,
Caroline

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.