Spinnig Shoes in Cycle Videos

Mare145

Cathlete
Cathe, what shoe (and brand) do you wear for the Spinning workouts. Haven't tried this one yet but thinking about it. Also, what should I look for when looking at shoes? Thx! Mare

follow up

Hey there!
I'd like to know what Cathe recommends, or what others are wearing for spinning. Just getting started in this and want to make sure I use the right equipment.

My bike has toe/shoe cages, so I don't wear special spinning shoes. Just my regular tennis shoes work for me. I do find that I need bike shorts. Anything with extra material on it rub on my leg area and hurts. I also wear clothes that wick sweat. There is LOTS of sweat with spinning :eek:

As mentioned, spin bikes do have cages so you can spin in sneakers if you like, but spin shoes defiitely add to the spinning experience!

Spin shoes have hard, rigid soles that are built to stabalize the feet and support you for standing work, heavy climbs, etc. You have the option of wearing spin shoes and still using that cages or adding cleats to the bottom of the shoe so that you can actually clip in to the bottom of the pedals.

I wear Serfas (studiocycles.com) and Sidi (zappos.com), but there is quite a variety of styles in different price ranges. It's definitely worth looking into ;)

spinning shoe recommendation

Hey Jenn, thanks for the recommendation. I knew that spin shoes have the 'hard' sole (I think regular biking shoes do as well). That was why I wondered what brands folks are using.

The thing you'll want to look out for is hard, stff, soles, yes. I bought a pair of biking shoes (for outside) that were really spinning shoes, and they were really only sneakers with cleats built in. Not good for riding outside, and I don't think even really good for spinning. I still use them for spinning, but will eventually replace them.

Just make sure that your cleats match the type of system on your spin bike. I think most (all?) spin bikes have SPD cleats?

If you have wide feet, you may want to check out Specialized. Most cycling shoes seem to run narrow.

I also have Shimano brand shoes. I purchased a regular pair first and then I saw a few people at my gym wearing the sandal style shoes. I love, love, love my Shimano sandal style shoes because even my feet get super sweaty when I spin! :eek: I also love having cleats in my shoes. Big difference in the ride. :)

I just got a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Drift Mountain Bike shoes. I bought them for outdoor cycling, but they are so comfortable that I have been using them for spinning too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.