Some more gym stories

LauraMax

Cathlete
I had a strange week at my club. Last night a co-worker came in for a tour while I was working out. She works in a different building so we don't see each other much. When she first got there I was thinking hmmmm, she looks familiar, & when she got closer I recognized her. She, however, did not recognize me. She came up to me & started asking me if I competed. I said "no Maureen (names changed to protect the ID of the innocent), I don't compete, I WORK WITH YOU!!!!!!!" Now, this is not a quiet woman. She started shrieking "Laura Max (last name replaced to protect the ID of the guilty)?!?!?! LAURA MAX???? Is that really you? Is that what you really look like? I had no idea you looked like that!" Just goes to show you how different we look in our gym clothes vs. our business costumes. :D

I also learned a valuable lesson last night. I rented a locker there a few months ago. Last night I learned that I should stash a few extra pairs of socks in there b/c I was horrified to find I'd forgotten to pack them yesterday morning. I had to work out in my sneakers without socks. EW! How gross is that?

Even grosser, on Tuesday night I was bending down in front of the barbell rack to grab some weights & there was a guy bending down for the same reason next to me. He belched right in my face! AND didn't even excuse himself! DOUBLE EW!!!! He just grabbed his weights, turned around & walked away. Where are the politeness police when you really need them?

Finally, I'm in need of a little reassurance b/c there's a trainer there who is constantly criticising me. He makes me feel like everything I do is wrong. I'm not sure why he feels the need to point out all my flaws, but I'm close to the point where I'm afraid to do anything in front of him b/c I know he's gonna say something negative. Last night I asked him if there was anything about my routine he thought was right. He looked a little sheepish & asked me what I meant. I said you're always criticising me. He said I'm not criticising, I'm critiqing. I said well the root of both words are the same, & maybe once or twice you could say something positive like "good form Laura." He laughed & said OK, then came over when I was doing concentration curls & corrected my form. x( (I will note here that he was right--his correction made a huge difference & I had to drop the weight 5 lbs b/c it was much more challenging)

Is he being helpful, rude, nosy, or looking for an excuse to talk to me?

I think he is looking for an excuse to talk to you, Laura! That was my first thought when I read that he keeps "critiquing".

We sure look different in gym clothes than business clothes, I get that all the time, actually not at the gym (if I work out at the gym it's in the wee hours of the morning and no one else is there anyway), but at the dog park. I guess I clean up nicely :+

Have a great day!

Carola

Yeah well the boy is about 10 years younger, not to mention I have a general policy against socializing w/PTs. Altho he is smokin hot. Stop that Laura. Bad Laura. }(

Truthfully I think it's more about him showing off than anything else. I just need to stop it from affecting my self confidence. He was probably having his first wet dream when I was squatting to Led Zeppelin at my first gym. :p

Laura Max: I think he's flirting! Here's something to make you giggle/blush - my brother-in-law always has been attracted to jocks and for some reason I was on this forum (duh - I'm always here) and was looking at your picture trail while he was over. He went wild! Wants to meet you! He lives in Fresno and is a good looking guy. Ever get out there??:7

Here's another gym story:

I was working out at this little kickboxing gym a couple of years ago. The owner was at least 10 years younger than I am, very friendly, very funny and a nationally-ranked kickboxer. Since day one he was clearly doing some eyeballing, but being about 98% professional about it. After about a year, I was standing on a bench adjusting the stereo, which was mounted up high, and he came up behind me and just grabbed by butt with both hands, gave it a really good, firm jiggle and said, "Argh!! I have wanted to do that for a year and just couldn't resist it!!":eek: :eek:

Oh my! I'm not sure how I'd feel about that--no one touches the buns without asking & being granted permission first! I'm pretty sure Mr. Kickboxer would've gotten a back kick right in the face if it were me..........:p

LOL at your BIL........I've never been to Fresno in my life & have no intention of ever visiting. I'm a Jersey girl through & through so if he ever makes it to the northeast I'll buy him a beer. ;-)

>Even grosser, on Tuesday night I was bending down in front of
>the barbell rack to grab some weights & there was a guy
>bending down for the same reason next to me. He belched right
>in my face! AND didn't even excuse himself! DOUBLE EW!!!!

GAK!
Makes me so glad I don't go to the gym.
Next time he's there, bend down to grab a weight when he does, butt towards his face, and fart in his face. Be sure to eat a lot of sulphurous foods ahead of time (onions, broccoli) to make a bigger impression!}(

On second thought, maybe he'd take that as a mating ritual, from whatever species he is.

>I'm in need of a little reassurance b/c there's a
>trainer there who is constantly criticising me. He makes me
>feel like everything I do is wrong. I'm not sure why he feels
>the need to point out all my flaws, but I'm close to the point
>where I'm afraid to do anything in front of him b/c I know
>he's gonna say something negative.

What business is it of his what you are doing? He isn't your trainer, is he? (If he is, I'd fire him.). Next time he makes a snarky comment, say something like "Gee, if that's the kind of comment you make to your clients, I'm surprised you still have any." Or 'If I wanted your comments, I'd hire you as a trainer.'

As for why he's doing it: maybe he's trying to impress you? Maybe he's a bit intimidated by you, and needs to assert his 'superiority'? Being territorial and feeling the need to control those around him (better than peeing on you, I suppose, LOL!) Maybe he's just a jerk?

"Is he being helpful, rude, nosy, or looking for an excuse to talk to me?"

I say all of the above. Some men feel so good about themselves when they show off their knowledge and better yet, do it with a female to give them a good excuse to talk to that female and make themselves look like they're being helpful when they're acutally just being plain rude and nosy.

Stories like yours remind me why I have limited my trips to the gym within the last year. Don't even get me started on some of the guys at the spinning class who can't seem to understand the "you have to sign in for a bike rule"....

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back