Social Groups

What the heck happened with the Social Groups? Everything is weird there now. And you have to go to the last page to see the current replies instead of it being right there.

SNM, what gives?

Could you please explain in more detail the error you are experiencing and could you also provide a link to the specific page in which the error occurs? Thanks!

Hi Josh,
It's not really an error that I'm getting, but the entire Social Groups section looks different. It use to list all the groups like the forums are listed. Now it has them in thumb nails. When I click on this link:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=34

it is sorting it with the oldest post first instead of the other way around. It use to show us the most recent post right there on the first page. I tried to see if I could resort it, but there is no option for that.

Thanks for your help!

I believe I've fixed the 'sorting issue'. It seems that when we upgraded some of our core files, this difference you saw was hardcoded within the upgrade rather than being a option.

As for the thumbnails, these can be used by the 'group creator' to help describe the group they've created. Like an avatar for your group.

Here are some of the improvements made to social groups:

* Social Group Discussion Topics
While the previous 'social group messages' system allows messages to be posted to a social group, unlike forums it did not allow messages to be divided up into discussions. Being one of the most requested features, social groups in 3.8 now have the ability to contain individual topics, each with reporting, inline moderation and many of the other tools one would expect.

* Social Group Avatars
In the new version, when users create a social group, they can upload a picture to represent the group, which will be shown both on the group page, and on the list of groups.

* Social Group Categories
To help users to find more easily a social group that they’d like to join, the administrator can now create categories to which social groups can belong.

Let me know if you have any other concerns, thanks!

SNM/Josh:

since it was mentioned in OD for the SOCIAL GROUP thread, but not here...

why is there now a 1000 character limit on post length? to some of us who post in social groups, that is not nearly enough to do personals without having to do multiple posts. This is most aggrivating!

any way to change this back? pretty please??? :)

another question: why do you have to make 2 extra selections to get to social group posts from your profile page? it used to be that you could just click on the social group from there and it would take you straight to the last post page, now you have to select the social group twice to get to the post list.

I think we can get used to the new "look" of the social group pages, however, limiting us on the characters (not even words) we post does not contribute to our social nature :) These updates seem to make things harder rather than easier.

thanks for your help in advance from many other social group members!

Last edited:
Josh/SNM - just wanted to say that I am having the same issues that Dani posted. The 1000 characters max is really not that many and it would be great if you could remove that restriction. Also, you have to go through 2 more pages to get to your social group now. Not sure why that is either. Thanks for helping us out!

This is silly stuff too but the font is different and instead of our posts being under our avatars like they are in the the forums, our posts start next to our avatars. It's so different and we are creatures of habit :D. Please change back!!

Last edited:
One more thing...when you go to post a reply, you can no longer see the other posts listed. I would look at those posts when replying to people and now I can't. I am also part of a chatty group and 1000 characters per post is definitely not going to cut it. I am with the others...please change it back!

Thank you so much!! We really appreciate it. We can get used to the new look but the 1000 characters max was a problem! LOL

Well I was just coming here to state my unhappiness with the changes when I saw questions have already been posted.

Josh is there a way to alter the navigation to the way it was. Previously when I clicked on my social group, the reply window was up top. Now the reply window is at the bottom but the latest messages remain up top. So I am having to scroll through messages that I have already read when previously I didn't have to do that.

I would like for the reply window to be up top again.

Thank you
Saundra

Well I was just coming here to state my unhappiness with the changes when I saw questions have already been posted.

Josh is there a way to alter the navigation to the way it was. Previously when I clicked on my social group, the reply window was up top. Now the reply window is at the bottom but the latest messages remain up top. So I am having to scroll through messages that I have already read when previously I didn't have to do that.

I would like for the reply window to be up top again.

Thank you
Saundra

I also agree with this :)

the other issue is that you have at least one if not two extra selections to make once you select your Social Group. If you go from your Profile page, you also have to select a "discussion". not sure what that means, as most of the social groups I have seen are only one LONG discussion! can you either explain why this is necessary, or make it a shorter process to go from your User Profile page to start posting in the social group please....

thanks so much! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.