So what's going on with Joaquin Phoenix?

I don't know, I am hoping he is just playing a prank. I was watching it and my chin hit the floor :eek: Not only about the way he acted but also his looks. Holy cow!!!

I think he is so immensely talented and I really hope he hasn't gone off the deep end.

It was almost painful for me to watch.

I know Carola! It's painful to me too. I didn't get why Letterman and his audience were cracking up. Even if it's a prank, I don't find it funny at all.

Amy

Wow, this surprises me. Wish I would have seen the show.

What a shame, he is such a good actor. I loved every movie he has been in, especially the Johnny Cash one.

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with Letterman either. Either he is in on the prank or he is a flippin' jerk!!!

I think I would be a jerk also if I invited someone on my talk show and they gave one syllable answers.

I saw the video about two hours ago - wow - both oars are not in the water at this time.

I don't think I'm buying it, seems like a prank to me. It's hard to believe almost anything I see/hear about actors, so much is fabricated and scripted for one reason or another.

Honestly, I love Joaquin. But he has been WEIRD for a while now. I'm not surprised at ALL by the way he's acting. If you follow him much and his interviews over the years, he's always been "off". Still love the guy, but he's definitely "not here".

I haven't seen the clip but the audience of the Letterman Show (or any other show I assume) laughs because they're instructed to laugh out loud even if they think something is only mildly funny. I was amazed at how everyone totally went along with it. However when I was there the guests were Denzel Washington and Don Rickles and Don Rickles was very funny.

Wow, that was bizzaro!! Just his body language said it all. He kept sighing and was very figgity. I don't think it's a prank. Sad, very sad :(

There is speculation that he is in character for a spoof on that goofy movie a while back - the one where they went around filming people. Who knows - sure hope so :)

Wow, that was bizzaro!! Just his body language said it all. He kept sighing and was very figgity./quote]

I know, but he is a talented actor so it's possible he was acting. I hope, I hope.
If he was stoned, wouldn't they know that before he came on stage?
I hope it's not drugs:(. He held River in his arms as he was dying. You would think he would know better. So very sad. :(:(
My favorite Joaquin movie was Gladiator. I loved him in that role!

There is speculation that he is in character for a spoof on that goofy movie a while back - the one where they went around filming people. Who knows - sure hope so :)

Yeah, I read that too.
I hope it's a spoof like Snakes on a Plane! LOL
That movie was awful but all the pranks were hilarious!

I hope so

I too hope it is a prank. His appearance reminded me of Andy Kauffman, when he claimed to be a wrestler. Too young to have seen the real thing, but remember from the Jim Carey movie. He is extremely talented, so I think it could all be an act. However, he has always seemed uncomfortable in interviews. I just figured he didn't like the show and pony part of movie making. He was on Oprah once promoting walk the line, and when she questioned him about the Oscar buzz, he seemed so uncomfortable and irritated. Don't know. I am such a big fan though, my heart breaks at the idea that he is for real because if he is, then he has really gone off the deep end.

Well I hope it was a prank. It is the first clip on google video right now. I also thought if he was really that OUT of it then they wouldn't have let him on stage? I didn't really get why the audience was laughing I was really wondering what is wrong with him. If it is a prank it didn't go over too well cause now everyone is just worried about him. If it wasn't a prank why did they let him on stage like that? I think Letterman didn't know what to do and tried to goof off.. maybe hoping he'd snap out of it or something. or else knew all along it was a joke and the audience could know too so were laughing at his fake stupor. I hope he is ok. ? Kinda along the lines of that clip of the actress going into labor on the Ellen show. left everyone freaking out and it was just a joke.

Maybe he's gonna play Ted Kaczinzky in a movie. Who knows, but I sure hope he's not strung out. I loved him in "Walk The Line".

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.