So is fitness officially out of fashion?

LauraMax

Cathlete
This is usually the time of year I gripe about the gym being overcrowded w/the NY resolutioners. But this year nothing. Just the usual suspects. And when I'm there at night, the place is darn near a ghost town (it is in a very affluent community & is at its busiest around 9:00, after the SAHMS drop their kids at school--I swear it is the only gym I've ever belonged to that's busier in the morning than after work!).

So it makes me wonder.........I know a more voluptuous body a la Scarlett Johannsen, Jennifer Lopez & Kim Kardashian is the "in" thing now. Is the Madonna look no longer desirable? (it is for me, but I'm just an old lady LOL)

Thoughts?

Maybe it's the economy keeping people from buying a gym membership and working out at home.

I think this is part of it. I also think more people are looking for less expensive gym options (i.e. ones w/o classes)--ones that just offer cardio machines & weights.

Alternatively, I see many more people opting for classes at smaller 'studio' type places. Independent yoga, barre studios, personal training centers are popping up in my small town here in CT while the bigger traditional gyms are hurting for members.

I'd interpret it as the traditional gym model needs to morph out of it's one size fits all mentality. It's kind of like how department stores have lost ground to specialty stores.

Smaller fitness centers give more personalized service. It's not an overwhelming array of options. Plus, it's not as intimidating to walk into a small place w/ just a few others working out. (less fear of judgment)

Just my observations...

I don't do the gym thing anymore, maybe others are skipping it too. I prefer running outside or doing a DVD or streaming a YogaToday.com workout. The idea of being cooped up in a room with other sweaty bodies does not appeal when I can just go outside and get a dose of free vit. D without paying for it. I think the others are right, it might be the economy. I see lots of people on the trails around here. Of course, it is sunny and warm.

I don't do the gym thing anymore, maybe others are skipping it too. I prefer running outside or doing a DVD or streaming a YogaToday.com workout. The idea of being cooped up in a room with other sweaty bodies does not appeal when I can just go outside and get a dose of free vit. D without paying for it. I think the others are right, it might be the economy. I see lots of people on the trails around here. Of course, it is sunny and warm.

Yeah, I'm with you Rapid! I hate the gym. I don't like having to GO somewhere to work-out, wait for machines, share equipment... I just like walking into my workout room and using my own stuff. Then if I don't feel like picking it up until later, I leave it there. And I like to choose which route I'm going to run every day - and flipping off cars that get too close. :p

Hi Laura, how funny. I was thinking the same thing this week! I go to the gym for spinning classes, and every January we've always had a bunch of newbies. This year, not a single newbie! I think, as some others have said, that it's a matter of people saving their money to spend on something other than a gym membership - not that fitness is out of style. (The late night fitness equipment & fitness program infomercials are still very big, so they must be doing well.)

Stebby

Over here in Michigan at $10 per month Planet Fitness it is busier business than usual and when I went there for the first time in Jan, nearly every one of the 20 treadmills was taken, sweaty bodies were everywhere, and I never felt the Jan urge to drop Xmas pounds from so many people all at once. Problem, as I see it, is that not many of them are working hard enough for it to make any difference. Walking at 3 mph on a treadmill with your eyes glued to a TV screen for 40 mins just won't cut it any way you look at it.

The fact that this gym is the absolute cheapest here in Ann Arbor, home of the U of M where the average gym monthly price is $40 per month may have a lot to do with why my gym was so pakced laura and your wasn't. I suspect the economy has a lot to do with it and given the ecomony, people may be working harder with longer hours to keep their jobs and may not like to be seen spending a lot of time at the gym. Who knows?

Fitness and fashion have nothing to do with each other. I am happy for curvier women that thanks to Kim K and Christina Hendricks, their body types are now to be lusted after. However, my own fitness ideal remains the Madonna type and it isn't ever going to change!

Clare

We all have new gym memberships for the year but purposely don't go until at least March because so many people are there with New Year Resolutions lol
I have to admit though that I have been buying more and more dvds and home equipment and I much prefer working out at home. I wish my health insurance reimbursed me for home exercise items the same as they do a gym membership. Now, that would be great!

Clare,
I LOVE Ann Arbor. Not sure where Planet Fitness is at. A good friend of mine lives in Kerrytown not too far from Zingermans.
Here in West MI, shoveling snow becomes part of the workout routine. This area is expected to get 2-4" Friday night so I will workout then shovel.
Many of the "discouint" health clubs like Planet Fitness, Endurance, Fitness 19 have all been very busy here.

Clare,
I LOVE Ann Arbor. Not sure where Planet Fitness is at. A good friend of mine lives in Kerrytown not too far from Zingermans.
Here in West MI, shoveling snow becomes part of the workout routine. This area is expected to get 2-4" Friday night so I will workout then shovel.
Many of the "discouint" health clubs like Planet Fitness, Endurance, Fitness 19 have all been very busy here.

Hi JT:

Planet Fitness here in Ann Arbor is located in Ypsilanti, along Washtenaw Ave. If your friend drives along Washtenaw, past the Arborland Mall and keeps going past the US 23 turn offs, keep going past several more lights then she will come to Golfside Drive. Cross over Golfside and turn in left at the nest light. Planet Fitness is there in the top right hand corner of that large mall, along from Dunhams and some weird supermarket I have never heard of. $10 per month is hard to beat if you are tired of working out in the cold and lose inspiration with your home DVD library!

My husband wishes we got more snow here in Ann Arbor cos he loves to cross country ski, but personally speaking, I am so glad all we ever get is a paltry amount that barely requires shoveling. I'm from London. We don't do snow!!!!

Nice chatting with you!

Clare

Home is where the hard is

I'm with Rapid and MidgetDog! I don't care for gyms (or crowds for that matter!). I get a MUCH better workout at home with my Cathe DVDs and gear! I find I can push myself harder without the interruptions/distractions. I never have to wait to use my equipment, it's sanitary :rolleyes:, and I do what I want to do when I want to do it! I love the way Cathe and her crew look, and use them as my inspiration to keep plugging away. To me they are a perfect example of health and fitness (not over-done and un-huggable, but not squishy mush-mushes either!).:eek:
Nancy

My gym, a Gold's, was very busy the first few weeks but I noticed this morning that it's starting to drop off. Man, that didn't take long. I kindof feel sorry for those people, but OTOH, I would hate to workout with them there every day!

I'm with Rapid and MidgetDog! I don't care for gyms (or crowds for that matter!). I get a MUCH better workout at home with my Cathe DVDs and gear! I find I can push myself harder without the interruptions/distractions. I never have to wait to use my equipment, it's sanitary :rolleyes:, and I do what I want to do when I want to do it! I love the way Cathe and her crew look, and use them as my inspiration to keep plugging away. To me they are a perfect example of health and fitness (not over-done and un-huggable, but not squishy mush-mushes either!).:eek:
Nancy

I'm always so surprised to hear this from people.............I cannot imagine life without a squat rack, leg extension & leg curl machines, leg press, pec deck, etc. etc. There's no way I could afford or fit the various machines I use into my basement.

And I never have to wait at the gym for equipment. Another comment that always baffles me. My club has plenty of equipment for everyone, & if someone happens to be using something I'm headed for, I just do an alternative exercise. I see this as a good thing--never hurts to shake things up a little.

Surely you don't think Cathe & crew don't work out at a health club? :D

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised that things haven't been manic & insane at my gym the way they've been in Januarys past. It makes me feel like I have this giant, state of the art facility all to myself. :)

I am a home exerciser at heart. I much prefer it. The only reason I joined the last gym I was a member of was to be able to use the treadmills b/c my house is too small to put one in. I no longer have a gym membership because my life has changed over the past year and a half and trying to get to a gym these days would be ridiculous except for Saturdays and Sundays so I'm not bothering. Hopefully one day I will live in a house big enough and be able to own my own TM. Until then, running is on hold but the rest of my exercise routine is stronger then ever at home! I love free weights. I've tried using the machines at the gym more then once and for whatever reason, I just can't stand 'em! Too each their own though! Whatever makes you happy! :)

Anyway, I concur with those who say it's likely the economy in part...the gym I belonged to is now advertising memberships for ridiculously low prices. ALMOST makes it worth looking into even if only for the opportunity to run on weekends BUT it's been 1.5 years since I last ran. I'll never be able to build my endurance back up after that long of a hiatus by only running on weekends. Booh. :(

I'm another non-gym person. We belong to our local rec center, and DH goes to his office gym every day on his lunch hour, but I don't enjoy it. I'd rather do a workout video/free weights or my treadmill. I don't like the people, the mirrors and the confusing equipment, and I'm a germ-freak and the though of someone else's crotch sweat lingering on the stationary bike makes me ick out. Plus, my 2 year old refuses to stay in the nursery. When he goes to school, and I have an empty house during the days, I'm sure I'll be brave and try it again.

I too would love a Madonna physique, though. (But that will never happen! I have a kardashian-esque backside! :confused:)

Plus, my 2 year old refuses to stay in the nursery.

Sorry your little one doesn't like it. :( My son LOVED the babysitting area of my gym. :D He got so upset when he found out he couldn't go there anymore! That is one of the few things I miss about the gym...being able to take my son with me and knowing he'll have fun as opposed to him just hangin' out in our house by himself when I work out if DH isn't home.

Sorry your little one doesn't like it. :( My son LOVED the babysitting area of my gym. :D He got so upset when he found out he couldn't go there anymore! That is one of the few things I miss about the gym...being able to take my son with me and knowing he'll have fun as opposed to him just hangin' out in our house by himself when I work out if DH isn't home.

Sadly, he won't go to any nursery... not the one at church or the gym. He's very sweet and outgoing, but he's wary of strangers and takes awhile to warm up to people. I wish he would love it, and I'm sure he eventually would warm up, but I can't justify making him miserable just so I can go work out. If he loved it, I'd give it a try. Thankfully, DH takes all the kiddos when he comes home from work each day and has buddy time with them while I work out. They love that valuable daddy time, and I get some valuable me time, so it really works out well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.