snacks/mini meals

Tricia Haley

Cathlete
Reposting in open forum to educated crowd.

Hi Cathe, My question is what snacks or mini meals really help tide you over till supper. I am currently backing off some medicine that i have been taking for about a year and a half. One of the problems i have been experiencing is as i taper back (on the medicine) with in a week i feel my appetite increase abit. It seems as though i struggle more between my mid day meal and supper. So i was curious if you or anyone out there have a meal/snack that you feel really helps tide you over till supper and that doesn't tide you over so much that you aren't hungry for supper. And also when you are trying to slim down for your videos how do you deal with your appetite when your body realizes that you are taking in less calories. I would like to lose about 5 to 10 pounds of fat but it also seems my appetite goes crazy when i try to eat less calories. Do you have any advice how to get through those times.? Thanks bunches for your ear and your great videos!!!

Tricia Haley

:+

How about trying a combo of carbs and protein, keeping it to about 200 calories.

Examples: apple with 1 TBS peanut butter, celery with the peanut butter, a small chicken or tuna (2 oz or so of the protein) with a salad, sometimes I'll make a half a peanut butter sandwich (whole grain bread of course).

Or a smoothie with protein powder and some fruit . . . mmmmmm on a warm day or just after a workout.

Hi:

Here are some of the things I eat for snacks:

stringster w/5 low fat triskets or an apple,

cottage cheese with sugar free applesauce,

LF yogurt

Deb

I've discovered that a small apple (I like Gala) and 2 part skim string cheese sticks really holds my appetite longer than any other snack. Yummy!

Gayle

The snack that holds me the most is a banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Melissa

Thanks all for your suggestions. Some i have tried, like the banana and peanut butter. Yummmmmmmmm it just seams like even after i eat, for example, the banana w/pb i still want to eat more. I don't know, for me the eating is the most frustrating part of the whole weight loss process. I do eat fairly clean and i have around 6 mini meals a day and i do fairly well until about the 3pm hour. Here is an example of my day.

Morning @ 7:30 after i get the girls off to school i eat breakfast. Grapenuts, one serv., 1/2 cup skim Milk, 1 TBLS ground Flaxseed. Sometimes (if i am really hungry in the morning) i will add 1 egg + 1 egg white. Then i usually exercise 1hour and it is what ever is on the cathe rotation for the month. After i w/o (around 10:30) i have a protein shake. I add 1 banana- 1/2c skim milk + 1/2c water to my vanilla shake. I eat lunch around Noon or a little after. That is usually a Chicken breast chopped up on a salad, or Chicken breast chopped with whole wheat noodles, sometimes just cottage cheese with garlic rounds, sandwich with meat & low fat cheese, it really varies to how hungry i am and whats going on in my day. But lunch is pretty clean eating. The around 2:00 My appetite starts in but i still do fairly well at this time because it is still early in the day and i know a small snack around 2:eek:o will not spoil my my appetite for supper. But then at around 3:30/4:00 my appetite seems out of control and at this time if i eat to much i won't be hungry for supper so i will try to eat something real small but i still find myself 1/2 hour later opening the fridge/ pantry and counting down the time until i eat supper. We eat supper at 6:30. Sorry this is so long, i just feel i am going thru one of those times that nothing seems to satisfy.

Thanks for your ear i welcome any suggestions or comments. You guys are great and i have written down your suggestions and will be trying them. :7

Tricia Haley:+

For me, yogurt and some nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans) not a lot, like an 1/8 of a cup or less. I have a tiny Tupperware container that seems to hold the right amount.

A small handful of nuts or a Tablespoon of PB with an apple, a pear or one of those Japanese pear-apples that are now inseason is good. Apples and pears contain pectin, a type of soluble fiber that can help you feel fuller.

Drinking a glass of water a few minutes before a snack can take up some space in the stomach so you get a feeling of satiety faster. For the same reason, a smoothie can be a good choice (just make sure it contains some fiber/protein/fat). You can keep the calories the same, but increase the satiety effect by adding more water to the smoothie to make it thinner, increasing the volume of what you are taking in (part of what signals our bodies that we have eaten enough is simply how much room food takes up in our stomachs).

SMALL whole wheat tortilla with salsa, beans (I like black) and a pinch or 2 of soy cheese (no dairy for this girl!!)...

MJ in MN

I am the same way - the late afternoon is my Waterloo. I find I do better if I back of some of the calories during the day and add them at 4PM to have another "lunch". I have more than a snack - about 300 calories. A sandwich or some homemade soup, or an Amy's kitchen bean and rice burrito.... It seems to do the trick for me.

I am finding that a pint of cold water and an apple when I am out and running around works. So does a nonfat latte!;)

I usually have something like a few (usually six) small squares of cheese and ww crackers. This not only satisfies the hunger, but it keeps my blood sugar up so I don't feel like crashing at 5 pm every day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.