smoothies

Do I ever!! I'm a peanut butter junkie!! I put it in my protein shakes all the time!! Here is the one that I like the most.
1cup skim milk
1 frozen banana (slice it before you freeze it)
1Tbsp peanut butter (I use natural but Jif or Skippy work too)
1/2 - 1 Tbsp honey (depends on how sweet you want it)
3Tbsp soy protein powder (you don't have to use the powder, it's just something that I do)

Put it all in a blender, on high for about 2min. and drink!! YUMMY!

Aimee

Anybody got anymore? I just love peanut butter. I like fruit in my smoothies too. But I need more recipes. THANKS!!!!

not sure how good they are...

but here are a couple of untested recipes with peanut butter from a cookbook just for smoothies.

Peanut Power
1/2 cup chocolate rice milk
1/2 cup soft silken tofu
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 fresh frozen sliced bananas
2 Tablespoons of chocolate syrup
6 ice cubes

and..

Smoothie ala King
3/4 cup nonfat milk
3/4 cup nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
2 fresh bananas..frozen and sliced

http://members.aol.com/naconfer/images/springchickvfnutsig.jpg

RE: not sure how good they are...

Nancy,

I just love that Smoothies book. Both of those smoothies are great. Here's another one:

1 packet chocolate instant breakfast
8 oz. milk
1 banana
1 Tbsp. peanut butter

This is a Susan Klein recipe (author of "Power Eating) published in Muscle & Fitness Hers. It's supposed to be just the right amount of protein and carbohydrates for maximum muscle recovery and building. Anyway, it tastes good!

:) Gretchen

We (my DH is the Smoothie King) usually use soy milk or silken tofu in smoothies. Just substitute them for the milk. Frozen bananas help the texture of most smoothies.

Here are 2 I love:

Frozen mango or frozen cherries
a frozen banana
vanilla soy milk
drop of almond extract
crushed ice

chocolate silk soy milk
frozen banana
crushed ice
(you could add peanut butter to this one!!)

I do believe ...

... that chocolate silk soy milk is the nectar of the gods. Yum! (Second only to ginger ice cream, but that's another thread!)

Kimberly...

where do you find ginger ice cream?? I love all things ginger, and this sounds wonderful! But, I've never seen it....

:)

not smoothies.
but i like to mix peanut butter and my yummy powdered "spirutein protien energy meal" to make little protien balls... its my emergency lunch.
the idea came from an
old hippy recipe: equal parts powdered milk, honey, and peanut butter.

Ginger ice cream

Hi Sandie--

My name is Kimberly and I am a ginger fiend.

I don't know the brand of the ice cream, but I'll find out. They sell it at this little market near our house in Kentfield, California (bay area), and it's so good, I'd take a bath in it if I could. (Well, on second thought ...)

I have two ginger cookie recipes that I'd be happy to email to you if you're interested. I don't make them that often because I'll eat every last one of them.

Oh, if you're ever in San Francisco, there is a restaurant that makes a triple ginger gingerbread (fresh ginger, candied ginger and powdered ginger). It is the most scrumptuous thing you've ever tasted.

Enough already! ;-) I'd better quit salivating over thoughts of gingerbread and get back to work.

RE: Ginger ice cream

Hi Kimberly,

I would love your cookie recipes! You can email them to me at [email protected].

I am also in the Bay Area (Redwood City, California). What is the name of that restaurant? I am going to be scouring all my local markets for ginger icecream this weekend! :9 I used to buy these big chunks of candied ginger at Trader Joe's, but I haven't been able to find them lately. I need a ginger fix!

3 Ginger cookies

Your post rang a bell. The Silver Palate Good Times cookbook has a recipe for 3 ginger cookies. These are definitely for ginger lovers only. I also have a recipe for gingerbread that uses fresh & candied ginger with a bit of cocoa (yumm). It appeals to more people especially with the recommended warm apricot sauce. I'll post the recipes if you like. Sometimes it's better to be forced to buy indulgences. Personally, I can mow through a lot of homemade cookies!

I'd love to know the brand of the ginger ice cream. It would be a great dessert after an Asian themed dinner.

RE: Ginger ice cream

Sandie--
I'll get those ginger cookie recipes typed up and to you by the end of the weekend. Promise! :)

The restaurant is Delancey Street and it's near Pac Bell Park on the Embarcadero. I don't know if you're familiar with the Delancey Street organization or not, but they are a nonprofit foundation that takes ex-cons and drug addicts and employs them in their various businesses (the restaurant, moving company, printing company) and gives them an opportunity to turn their lives around. We've used their moving company three times and have been very happy with them. The restaurant is very good--they do a great weekend brunch. We've eaten there many times and I've consumed a great deal of their gingerbread. Their prices are reasonable, too.

We'll be going by Woodlands Market on Sunday, so I'll get the name of the ice cream and email that with the cookie recipes.

Nice to know there's another Cathe fan so close by!

Okay, you fellow ginger lovers ....

I will post the recipes here and the name of the ice cream, but it probably won't be before Sunday (I'll try to get there earlier).

Debra, I'd love to have that gingerbread recipe. I have that Silver Palate cookbook and I'm trying to remember if I've ever made those specific cookies. That's a big cookbook!

RE: 3 Ginger cookies

Debra, I'd love to have your recipes too! You guys have me practically drooling on my keyboard over here!!!! :) I feel a baking marathon coming on.....

Three Ginger Cookies

For bigtime Ginger Lovers:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, soft
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbls finely chopped fresh ginger root
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger

1. Cream butter w/ brown sugar. Add molasses & egg.
2. Combine flour, ground ginger, soda & salt. Add to butter mixture & blend. Add fresh & crystallized ginger.
3. Refrigerate dough at least 2 hrs. Overnight is good.
4. Shape dough into 1 inch balls & place about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. (I use tiny ice cream scoops for cookies). Bake in a preheated (duhh) 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. (I haven't made these in awhile so I don't know if 10 minutes is accurate. They are a crispy cookie but it has a lot of sugar to flour which means it can get hard really quick. Keep the dough in the fridge between batches & cool the cookies sheet before you use it again.)
5. Cool on a wire rack.

My mother is a ginger fiend & she loves these cookies. I apologize for corrupting but have you tried See's ginger slices? They are too much for me but Mom loves then with tea.

Don't forget to post the brand name for the ginger ice cream. I cruised the ice cream section today & that's really a danger zone for me! I didn't find any ginger ice cream but there were a lot of other pints that wanted to go home with me. I've been on a soy kick lately & I'd love to reward dinner guests with some ginger ice cream after I serve them some of what's good for them!

Debra

Here is one you might like to try.

Start with a protein powder called Myoplex Light. Use the chocolate one (the others are vanilla and strawberry).

Put the following in a blender:

One packet chocolate Myoplex Light
two tablespoons Nestle's sugar free cocoa
two tablespoons peanut butter (the natural kind)
1/2 banana
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup skim milk
3 or 4 ice cubes.

If you have never heard of Myoplex, just e mail me and I will tell you how to order it on the internet. I can buy it locally but it is cheaper to get it through a distributor on the web.

My e mail address is

[email protected]

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.