Slim Series

CarenG

Cathlete
I am currently doing P90X, but I wondered if anyone has tried Beach Body's Slim series. I was considering buying it for when my 90 days on P90X are up.

If you have tried Slim Series, how do you like them. Do you think somebody who has been doing Cathe for a long time and P90X would find them challenging enough?

The Slim Series is a very different type of workout than P90X and Cathe. It's more of a high rep/low weights workout. There are no rests, it's just continuous exercises, one after the other, almost always working more than one muscle group at time. That's what makes it tough. I had great success with Slim Series. It broke me out of a plateau I'd been in for a long time. It was so different from Cathe that my body really responded quickly to the change. The workouts are very similar to each other and that bores some people, but I personally enjoyed them. I did the Slim Training rotation, which is supposedly the hardest one. They are not easy and I think it's a great series. If you want something similar to P90X and Cathe, these are not, but they will add great varity and they are a challenge if that's what you are looking for.:)

With all the talk of P90X, I thought I would try Slim Series for something different. What I first noticed is that they are not as well produced as Cathe workouts. The sound is horrible and the music stinks too. Overall, I found the workouts so boring that after one week, I just dreaded working out. I don't think I will ever touch one of these again so I was thinking that if I want a workout similar, I'll just do Power Hour or MIS and use lighter weights.

Beth

I tried to like them too. They are good workouts, they hardly take up any space, they give you a good workout for such light reps. But they are just so dull and so long and so much like the same thing that it made it hard to stick to even a week. I wish I could overlook that for 6 weeks.

Yes, the Slim Series music sucks (but, there is a music OFF option-so you can use your own music!), they are boring -one hour+ long workouts using high reps, but, they use very little space, are super challenging, will give you results FAST (saw noticeable results within 2 weeks!), and will increase your muscular endurance. I only do the Slim Training rotation for 2 weeks every other month or so and love them!

I personally love Slim Series and Debbie, I don't find them boring in the least, I think Debbie is very personable and I don't even mind the music. I like it better than any of the BodyBlast's DVD's music.

Its a workout that will definitely get results, I was shocked at the results I got when I tried it for a few weeks, with no definite rotation in mind either. My legs leaned out, my butt became firmer and higher and my arms got tons of definition.

I go back to it now whenever I need to and sometimes just because I like it.

Yes its different than Cathe's stuff, but that doesn't make it any less valuable.

I often use my own music (A CD of Powerstrike music) to work out to Slim Series. Since the choreography is so simple, and Debbie doesn't always follow the beat anyway, I follow the beat of the music, keep doing whatever they're doing 'til they change, and move on.

I've found that music in the range of 130-135 bpm work very well.

I like the Slim Series too. I saw results and lost inches. I still rotate them in every so often. My favorites are Tone It Up and Mix It Up because every muscle group is worked in about an hour.

Tear It Up and Shape It Up are good too but they're longer than an hour (80 minutes I think?)

Firm It Up is good too but it's just for the lower body.

I know this is an older thread, but I have only bought three of the SS- tone it up, mix it and firm it up. I skipped the cardio.
My question was, what are the suggested rotations using these? I was thinking of doing the ones I have alternating them with cardio every other day.
In other words
Mon: tone it up
Tues: cardio
Wed: mix it up
Thurs: cardio
FRi: firm it up
Sat: bonus cardio

I am looking to lose a few pounds (about 5) and lose some inches on my legs and I find heavy lifting does not help me do that.
Any suggestions are appreciated

I've heard of alot of people on different forums saying that alternating slim series with carido works great. I'm doing something similar to what you are thinking of doing, trying to slim legs and lose a few lbs. I'm doing one day slim series, the next day kickboxing *Cathe-Taebo-P90X*. It's been fun and keeps the bordom down. I figure if this doesn't slim down the legs nothing will. LOL! I do know that my legs are feeling it.}(
Somewhere on the Beach body forum, Debbie Seibers said that adding Cardio on alternate days is a great rotation, even if it's not in the book.

Some suggested rotations in the book are:

Lower body program-

Shape it up
firm it up
cool it off
firm it up
cool it off
firm it up
rest

Split routine-

Tone it up
Firm it up
cool it off
Tone it up
Firm it up
Cool it off

I bought all the tapes and Dang I'm gonna use em routine (yes it's really called this LOL)-

Tone it up
Firm it up
cool it off
Mix it up
Cool it off
Tear it up
rest
Shape it up
Cool it off
repeat

Slim training program-This is the one I got great result from-I subbed in yoga for the Cool it off and stretch day.

Shape it up
Firm it up
Mix it up
Tone it up
Cool it off
Tear it up
Stretch

Hope this helps:)

What about the Power 90? (Not X) Anybody used that? Any comments?

I bought it on Ebay & I hate it. It just bores me to tears. Should I keep trying, or sell it & buy P90X?

Thanks,
Ruth:)

Can anyone tell me what tear it up and shape it up are like- I did not get them because of the length ( 78 min or so).

Ruth,I don't have power 90, but I have heard from everyone that is very different from P90X, so you may want to trade it.

Sunnyside, thanks for the rotations. I too have been doing mostly kickbox for the cardio. I love KPC, and as not to wear it out, I bought powerstrike and Janis Saffell- haven't done them yet though. Lately the step aerobics is really aggravating my knee. Which Tae bo wouldn you recommend - there are so many of them.

I have Power 90 and it is NOTHING like P90X, which I just started this week. I used Power 90 for about a week (3 years ago) and never used it again. I am enjoying P90X!

To answer your question about Tear it Up and Shape it Up, they're both very similiar to Mix it Up and Tone it Up, so I don't think you're missing anything. When I do them I usually skip the deadlifts because Debbie goes too fast for them to be safe, and as I recall Tear it Up has a lot of deadlifts in it, so that cuts about 5 min. from the program. For what it's worth, of the entire SS I find Tear it Up to be the closest to an intense Cathe full body workout.

>Can anyone tell me what tear it up and shape it up are like-
>I did not get them because of the length ( 78 min or so).
>
>Ruth,I don't have power 90, but I have heard from everyone
>that is very different from P90X, so you may want to trade
>it.
>
>Sunnyside, thanks for the rotations. I too have been doing
>mostly kickbox for the cardio. I love KPC, and as not to wear
>it out, I bought powerstrike and Janis Saffell- haven't done
>them yet though. Lately the step aerobics is really
>aggravating my knee. Which Tae bo wouldn you recommend -
>there are so many of them.

Tear it up and shape it up are 2 of my favorite because they totally wear me out. I remember them as 'shape it up' has a killer thigh section on the floor and 'Tear it up' has killer deadlift sections. I always get sore with these 2 workouts. They are long and that does make it hard to want to do them.

I just got into Tae bo and have been trying to get some of the advanced live series. There are 12 of them and they are only on VHS (got mine on ebay and yaya swaps). They have some good music and that's what I like about them. I only have #5 and #10 so far and am waiting for #6. So, I'm not much help here.:+ Some people have found them for cheap ($1) at dollor stores, but I never found any at the dollor stores in my area. I've heard that the advanced get ripped series is good too, but I've never tried them.

Thanks for your response sunnyside.
I have been enjoying firm it up and tone it up, I have not done mix it up yet though. Maybe in the future, I may pick up shape it up and tear it up- everyone overall seems to like shape it up.

I will have to keep an eye out for the tae bo advanced live and the get ripped. I have only seen the circuit workout in the stores thus far and it was only 36 min.

I appreciate the input.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back